Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Omar helped give me the best Mets baseball from my childhood so Iíll always be thankful for his efforts. Beltran in particular will forever be one of the favorite Mets of all time and he brought him here.
    Yeah, same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Our starting pitching this year outside of Jake sucked. Stroman was nowhere near that level of ineptitude and it was only 2 months.
    Look at it this way, Matz outperformed Stroman between 2019 - 2020 and has always had a higher upside. Now, I am not saying Matz is the man, but he is in my mind better than Stroman. Let's move on and get 2 very good pitchers to fill out the rotation to go along with deGrom (#1), Peterson (#4) and Lugo (#5). Then, the most important thing - do not trade the young pitchers we have signed over the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    Look at it this way, Matz outperformed Stroman between 2019 - 2020 and has always had a higher upside. Now, I am not saying Matz is the man, but he is in my mind better than Stroman. Let's move on and get 2 very good pitchers to fill out the rotation to go along with deGrom (#1), Peterson (#4) and Lugo (#5). Then, the most important thing - do not trade the young pitchers we have signed over the past couple of years.
    Ugh, Matz stinks. Lugo needs to be in the bullpen.

Here's how I look at the rotation:

1. deGrom

2. Charlie Morton - Even with injuries in 2020, only 38 IP, and a second straight year of velocity dip on all his pitches, his metrics look fine on Baseball Savant. A 1-year deal, hope he pitches solid in the regular season, with better performances in big spots.

3. Stroman - I think Stroman has a chance to take the QO. He will not receive an AAV greater than the $19M. Add in the draft pick compensation, and the pandemics economy. He may be better off taking the QO, and going into 2021 with no QO attachment and better market? If not, I still think we should offer him a 3 year deal around $45-$50M. We know how bad it can be with the Matz, Oswalt, Flexens, Locketts etc. of the world.

4. Mike Minor/ Syndergaard - Minor has proved to be a solid back of the rotation arm. Offer him a 1 year contract, get 80-100 innings in the first half before Syndergaard comes back. If Peterson falters as the 5th man, slot Minor in that role, or, put Minor in the pen/swing man role.

5. David Peterson

--- At the trade deadline, if the team is right in the thick of it, looking at a playoff spot, we upgrade the rotation with that bigger piece (ie. Darvish, or whoever else may be available in trade) to go for it.
    Last edited by rpagz3; 11-10-2020 at 12:20 PM.
    #oneatatime

Maybe if BVW had an owner with deep pockets like Cohen, perhaps that would have been an option.
    This is constantly overlooked. Sandy in his second time around has unlimited resources. Whoever is the next GM will have tremendous advantages. That cant be understated.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    This is constantly overlooked. Sandy in his second time around has unlimited resources. Whoever is the next GM will have tremendous advantages. That cant be understated.
    Sandy took the Mets to WS with the same **** owners. That's no excuse. Hell, if BVW didn't make the awful moves and resigned Wheeler instead, they would have made the playoffs. Brodie's ability to evaluate talent was lacking. The fact that he traded anything for Billy Hamilton speaks volume, a fungo and 2 batting practice balls are too much for Hamilton. The biggest advantage the new head of baseball operations and GM have on their side is an owner who understands that he might not be the smartest guy in the room.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Maybe if BVW had an owner with deep pockets like Cohen, perhaps that would have been an option

I know youíre a big Brodie fan and thatís fine but the guy was simply not a GM. He needed some years to learn about the FO before becoming a GM. That Kelenic trade had nothing to do with Owners being cheap it was just plain stupid. I agree the Wilpons were the worst owners Iíve ever see but tracing a bigtime prospect AND taking on a bloated contract of a 37 year old was just asinine and should cost you your job

Quote Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
    I know youíre a big Brodie fan and thatís fine but the guy was simply not a GM. He needed some years to learn about the FO before becoming a GM. That Kelenic trade had nothing to do with Owners being cheap it was just plain stupid. I agree the Wilpons were the worst owners Iíve ever see but tracing a bigtime prospect AND taking on a bloated contract of a 37 year old was just asinine and should cost you your job
    FoC endorses this comment.

"It was just plain stupid."

You can read all the books of Hemingway and I guarantee you won't find a better written sentence than this.

Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    "It was just plain stupid."

You can read all the books of Hemingway and I guarantee you won't find a better written sentence than this.

Just sayin.
    You expect me to believe you read a book without pictures once!

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    Ugh, Matz stinks. Lugo needs to be in the bullpen.

Here's how I look at the rotation:

1. deGrom

2. Charlie Morton - Even with injuries in 2020, only 38 IP, and a second straight year of velocity dip on all his pitches, his metrics look fine on Baseball Savant. A 1-year deal, hope he pitches solid in the regular season, with better performances in big spots.

3. Stroman - I think Stroman has a chance to take the QO. He will not receive an AAV greater than the $19M. Add in the draft pick compensation, and the pandemics economy. He may be better off taking the QO, and going into 2021 with no QO attachment and better market? If not, I still think we should offer him a 3 year deal around $45-$50M. We know how bad it can be with the Matz, Oswalt, Flexens, Locketts etc. of the world.

4. Mike Minor/ Syndergaard - Minor has proved to be a solid back of the rotation arm. Offer him a 1 year contract, get 80-100 innings in the first half before Syndergaard comes back. If Peterson falters as the 5th man, slot Minor in that role, or, put Minor in the pen/swing man role.

5. David Peterson

--- At the trade deadline, if the team is right in the thick of it, looking at a playoff spot, we upgrade the rotation with that bigger piece (ie. Darvish, or whoever else may be available in trade) to go for it.
    I like this idea. Stroman and Morton should be big time targets. I would also consider going after Jon Lester, Corey Kluber, Jose Quintana or Cole Hamels.

Lots of solid options on the market...I think Kluber could be a diamond in the rough.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Sandy took the Mets to WS with the same **** owners. That's no excuse. Hell, if BVW didn't make the awful moves and resigned Wheeler instead, they would have made the playoffs. Brodie's ability to evaluate talent was lacking. The fact that he traded anything for Billy Hamilton speaks volume, a fungo and 2 batting practice balls are too much for Hamilton. The biggest advantage the new head of baseball operations and GM have on their side is an owner who understands that he might not be the smartest guy in the room.
    Sandy had 8 years here and it took him 5 years before the Mets were competitive. Its tiring having the same argument. We don't know what the Mets were allowed to do financially. That Wheeler decision could have very well come from ownership much like the D'Arnaud decision reportedly came from.

If you don't understand that the next GM doesn't have a significant advantage than previous GMs then I dont know what to say to you. Lack of money affects the ability to make moves and the quality of moves made.
    Last edited by metswon69; 11-10-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Nah. Years ago mom purchased the Illustrated Hemingway Reader for me.

Iím a fan of Sandy. Yes I know the Mets stunk for most of his tenure but he did help bring us to a World Series and another playoff appearance despite tons of injuries. Letís not forget he also had about a 10 dollar budget to work with his first few years. He accumulated talent that are big pieces of the team today. He also left us a nice parting gift in Kelenic which sadly was flushed down the toilet the second Sandy Left(Thanks Brodie)

You really think they had pictures back when FoC was reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    You really think they had pictures back when FoC was reading?

Oh come on. I said pictures. Not colored photography.

Geez.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast