Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 668 of 822 FirstFirst ... 168568618658666667668669670678718768 ... LastLast
Results 10,006 to 10,020 of 12320
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    Is that a serious question? Tell me we aren't going to this absurdity.
    To be fair, what does part-time mean? Part-time for one or two days per week? That's not worth it if you need something stable. Then you have to consider that you won't qualify for any benefits. Sure, you get paid in cash and $14 in rural Texas is a decent amount but the long-term benefits and the uncertainty with the job doesn't make it attractive.

Plus, the margins on brain flakes is incredibly high. The CEO is easily raking in a couple of million.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSpray View Post
    I can't wait for Tesla to get into semis officially and expedite the process of delivering goods.
    They have to fix the self driving modes in their cars first. That doesn't seem like its gone as swimmingly as they hoped it would.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    They have to fix the self driving modes in their cars first. That doesn't seem like its gone as swimmingly as they hoped it would.
    In cities, it's still a work-in-progress. In trucking routes, it would be much easier. The autopilot already works in long routes where you are just driving aimlessly for hours. The problem is in city streets in which there are way too many factors that make it a logistical nightmare.

John Deere's profit has grown by 61% in recent years, the CEO's salary grew by 160% during the pandemic and employees saw their wages cut. Hmmm. Wonder why they are striking?

Is that a serious question? Tell me we aren't going to this absurdity.
    Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    I've been told that it's not a domestic problem. What's the hurry?
    No you havenít, youíve been told itís not just a domestic problemÖ

In cities, it's still a work-in-progress. In trucking routes, it would be much easier. The autopilot already works in long routes where you are just driving aimlessly for hours. The problem is in city streets in which there are way too many factors that make it a logistical nightmare.
    Iíve also read that the roads in many places is not of sufficient quality for self driving technology.

nvm
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Truck driver is a perfect job for these folks opposed to vaccine mandates. They can work socially distanced from others for their work day. Two problems turned into two solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Sure, most programs take 8-10 weeks. My uncle drove a truck for 30 years. It used to be 12 weeks or more when he first started.

Did I talk about training or did I talk about the process of acquiring a CDL?

As I said before, goods won't deliver themselves. What solution do you propose? The one thing I will give trucking, logistics, and delivering companies (besides Amazon) credit for is they are raising wages for truck drivers significantly.
    CDL. Is that not the same as training? (no sarcasm in that from me)

I bet things did take longer, but I would think it's efficient now.

Amazon was the first to raise wages IIRC. Maybe four or five years ago.

I don't know the solution but I don't think putting under prepared drivers is the answer. That was the point of my post.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

I don't know the solution but I don't think putting under prepared drivers is the answer. That was the point of my post.
    I believe CDL stands for commercial drivers license. I also believe there are ratings (A, B, and C). A is for smaller equipment, B is for what we're talking about, and C is for buses and other high occupancy vehicles. I remembered the name and that there were ratings but had to look up what the ratings were (info below).

https://driving-tests.org/cdl-classification-licenses/
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

To be fair, what does part-time mean? Part-time for one or two days per week? That's not worth it if you need something stable. Then you have to consider that you won't qualify for any benefits. Sure, you get paid in cash and $14 in rural Texas is a decent amount but the long-term benefits and the uncertainty with the job doesn't make it attractive.

Plus, the margins on brain flakes is incredibly high. The CEO is easily raking in a couple of million.
    I think this is a very, very fair discussion. If a company has a need for a 40 hour position it should not be broken up over multiple part time employees to avoid benefits. That's where I would fall on that issue.

I wonder if this will be a combined solution. Warehouses located in rural areas where automation goes from point to point and then human drivers to go locally from warehouse to urban areas. Product moves faster, employees home more often. Possible win/win

Part of it is when Covid initially hit everything slowed down so companies such as airlines and trucking laid off tons of their drivers/pilots and then when things started increasing again they realized they were short personnel and many had either retired altogether or found another career field.

I donít know how easy it would be to entice former drivers to come back to the field.