Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 212 of 310 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214222262 ... LastLast
Results 3,166 to 3,180 of 4646
    Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    LOLOLOL. Over the last few decades, I have seen politicians do just that in pushing for policies that were corrosive to the American public. Lies, half-truths, hiding policies in bills. What world are you from, dude?
    I doubt you could even give one example of this happening. You could be right, but I really don't think you have much of a clue.

What I'd really like to see though, is precedent for overruling the parliamentarian.
    "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

-JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    I doubt you could even give one example of this happening. You could be right, but I really don't think you have much of a clue.

What I'd really like to see though, is precedent for overruling the parliamentarian.
    The gotta damn stimulus bill passed under Trump with all that hidden pork. We wouldn't have noticed it until the press started airing it out. The Iraq Invasion and the WMD. Clinton and congress shouting the advantages of NAFTA will raise all ships bs. What is good for business is good for America. This isn't a hill to die on.

Who needs precedent after watching Trump's performance in the Oval Office. Don't stand on rituals and rules if they interfere with doing what is right. Giving these people something close to a liveable wage and not being so dependent on federal aid?

We have amended the Constitution, we can amend the rules of congress.
    Last edited by WES445; 03-01-2021 at 07:34 PM.
    A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.

Martin Luther King.

The gotta damn stimulus bill passed under Trump with all that hidden pork. We wouldn't have noticed it until the press started airing it out. The Iraq Invasion and the WMD. Clinton and congress shouting the advantages of NAFTA will raise all ships bs. What is good for business is good for America. This isn't a hill to die on.

Who needs precedent after watching Trump's performance in the Oval Office. Don't stand on rituals and rules if they interfere with doing what is right. Giving these people something close to a liveable wage and not being so dependent on federal aid?

We have amended the Constitution, we can amend the rules of congress.
    I do not support shoving unrelated stuff into a bill. It's politics at its worst. When the shoe is on the other foot it will be very bad indeed. Dems don't even have the votes to pass this bill even without the filibuster anyway.
    "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

-JFK

The democrats are such little *****es. They could overrule or fire the parliamentarian, both things that have been done before, but **** it, thats too hard lets push this down the road and drop some more bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    The democrats are such little *****es. They could overrule or fire the parliamentarian, both things that have been done before, but **** it, thats too hard lets push this down the road and drop some more bombs.
    Democrats: I can't believe the Republicans ignore precedents and long standing traditions!

Also Democrats: I can't believe the Democrats won't ignore precedents and long standing traditions!
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Democrats: I can't believe the Republicans ignore precedents and long standing traditions!

Also Democrats: I can't believe the Democrats won't ignore precedents and long standing traditions!
    I don’t have an opinion on the specific subject they’re discussing but I do find it funny that Democrats are quibbling over breaking norms and traditions in light of what McConnell did to get Amy on the Supreme Court

so follow the precedents of overruling or replacing people who stand in their way when they want something. Kenny is right they have done this very thing in the past. So what is the problem? If they really wanted something in the past, they were very willing to change the conditions to ensure the results they wanted. What is the problem now?.
    A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.

Martin Luther King.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I don’t have an opinion on the specific subject they’re discussing but I do find it funny that Democrats are quibbling over breaking norms and traditions in light of what McConnell did to get Amy on the Supreme Court
    Just the moderate dragging their feet and not doing what they promise. Then they wonder why they are called the do-nothing party. I am glad the progressives are making this fight very public. They said they would stop any of Biden's backsliding policies if he won and they are.

Martin Luther King.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Well feel free to laugh. But I didn't vote for Joe and Kamala because I wanted an equal but opposite Trump that steamrolls through all the norms. I know I wasn't the only one posting in the Trump presidency thread about how we needed to re-establish a lot of the norms that were shattered during those four years. But now that Democrats are in charge, it's interesting to see how quick some people are fine throwing away those norms when they are in charge.

Well feel free to laugh. But I didn't vote for Joe and Kamala because I wanted an equal but opposite Trump that steamrolls through all the norms. I know I wasn't the only one posting in the Trump presidency thread about how we needed to re-establish a lot of the norms that were shattered during those four years. But now that Democrats are in charge, it's interesting to see how quick some people are fine throwing away those norms when they are in charge.
    I understand your position, but how do you propose Democrats do anything if they don’t do things like this when Republicans do?

Because right now Republicans have a 6-3 Supreme Court by bending these norms. What do Democrats have to show for not bending them?

I am glad enough people didn't have that attitude when women were fighting for the right to vote. Norms have changed over the years when the need arises. They aren't written in stone and shouldn't be kept when they hinder us. . If we all agree the min. wage should be raised, so why are we letting "norm" stand in the way? Which is more important? And for what purpose?

Martin Luther King.

I am glad enough people didn't have that attitude when women were fighting for the right to vote. Norms have changed over the years when the need arises. They aren't written in stone and shouldn't be kept when they hinder us. . If we all agree the min. wage should be raised, so why are we letting "norm" stand in the way? Which is more important? And for what purpose?
    Now you know damn well that I'm not saying something like not letting women vote...you tell me where I said or even implied something like that.

I am saying that they should not overrule the parliamentarian and just throw something into the legislation the rules don't allow. The thing about that is even if you do that, you don't get the $15 minimum wage AND you don't get the COVID legislation. If you do that, you lose the support of required moderate Democrats such as Joe Manchin and Krysten Sinema. So going your way, causes a 48-52 vote failure and no $1400 checks to struggling families along with all the other benefits of the $1.9T.

And that practical consideration ignores the theoretical reason. Throwing out the basic rules of how the senate works is a very dangerous trend. I saw someone mention Amy Coney Barrett. Has anyone considered that had Democrats not abandoned the 60 vote threshold in 2013 that we might not have Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, or Barrett in 2021? If the senate still required 60 votes for Supreme Court Justices, we would have far more moderate picks on the court.

They've ignored them before, why not now?

And in case you've missed it, theres been little to no repercussions for recently for ignoring these long standing precedents and traditions, so what's the real point anyway. I mean, Schumer is fully in his right to fire the parliamentarian. Why won't he. In case you've missed it, the republicans are winning, but hey, at least the democrats are adhering to things that they can easily move around.

What's more important to you, these useless long standing norms and traditions that have been broken before....or paying people a living wage?

Now you know damn well that I'm not saying something like not letting women vote...you tell me where I said or even implied something like that.

I am saying that they should not overrule the parliamentarian and just throw something into the legislation the rules don't allow. The thing about that is even if you do that, you don't get the $15 minimum wage AND you don't get the COVID legislation. If you do that, you lose the support of required moderate Democrats such as Joe Manchin and Krysten Sinema. So going your way, causes a 48-52 vote failure and no $1400 checks to struggling families along with all the other benefits of the $1.9T.

And that practical consideration ignores the theoretical reason. Throwing out the basic rules of how the senate works is a very dangerous trend. I saw someone mention Amy Coney Barrett. Has anyone considered that had Democrats not abandoned the 60 vote threshold in 2013 that we might not have Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, or Barrett in 2021? If the senate still required 60 votes for Supreme Court Justices, we would have far more moderate picks on the court.
    We’d have more moderate picks on the Supreme Court, and no picks on the lower courts. The entire reason they repealed the 60 vote minimum is Republicans flat out refused to appoint any, which was breaking the norm.

the whataboutism irony is thick on the left.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52