Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    See if you can follow this. These are in strict order, the key being that there is a huge difference between (1) genes determining (causing) an irrevocable condition and (2) genes creating a pre-disposition to certain conditions. In my example, Downs Syndrome is not in the same league as alcoholism.
    Your example of alcoholism shows that free will still plays a role. Your example of down syndrome means nothing, that individuals behavior and thinking is still governed by millions of factors, not just down syndrome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nastynice; 04-11-2021 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Your example of alcoholism shows that free will still plays a role. Your example of down syndrome means nothing, that individuals behavior and thinking is still governed by millions of factors, not just down syndrome.
    Not worth it. Forget I even brought it up.

It's a poorly constructed argument.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    You just said you feel sadness and empathy (not sure how one feels empathy but ok) for me because I donít share your beliefs.

Iím sure that makes you feel good about yourself. But you donít hear your condescension, do you?

I get it. I really do. You think thereís something out there. I do not. Thereís a line between us that can never be crossed. That line is called ďthe proof.Ē

Of course, itís up to you to cross it to make your point. And therein lies the problem. You ainít got it.
    Holy crap....did you just pile on the condescension while inferring I had been condescending?

You're not sure how one feels empathy? What is this, another 'by my definition' things for you?

No, you don't get it, you really don't. If you did, you wouldn't be so condescending about it.

You can believe this or not, but people talk about Christians believing 'this fairy tale' while they laugh about how people could. There's a regular poster here who has more than once openly said Christians are low on intelligence and lack logical thinking skills. Yet you don't hear real Christians laugh at people who don't believe as they do. I do truly feel sad when people talk as some of you guys do here. Would you prefer I called it sympathy?

WTH are you talking about crossing to make my point, but I can't. What exactly is that point in your mind? Convincing you you're wrong? That's not how this works.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Yet you don't hear real Christians laugh at people who don't believe as they do.
    I guess then that either Brett05 is not a real Christian or youíve missed out on most of his posts.

Holy crap....did you just pile on the condescension while inferring I had been condescending?

You're not sure how one feels empathy? What is this, another 'by my definition' things for you?

No, you don't get it, you really don't. If you did, you wouldn't be so condescending about it.

You can believe this or not, but people talk about Christians believing 'this fairy tale' while they laugh about how people could. There's a regular poster here who has more than once openly said Christians are low on intelligence and lack logical thinking skills. Yet you don't hear real Christians laugh at people who don't believe as they do. I do truly feel sad when people talk as some of you guys do here. Would you prefer I called it sympathy?

WTH are you talking about crossing to make my point, but I can't. What exactly is that point in your mind? Convincing you you're wrong? That's not how this works.
    Yes. You feel sympathy. You have empathy. Feeling ďempathyĒ makes no sense. Glad you figured that out for yourself. Telling me you have sympathy for me is quite condescending.

Donít make me answer for arguments that arenít mine. Christians are no dumber nor more intelligent than atheists. The crossing the line reference was pointing out that you have to cross it to answer to the burden of proof. Youíve made a claim there is a God. The burden of proof is yours.

Thatís all.

For what it's worth, my girlfriend is a devout Catholic. I'm an atheist Jew. She is WAY more intelligent than me, WAY more intelligent than I'll ever be. So there's that.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 04-11-2021 at 08:57 PM.

I guess then that either Brett05 is not a real Christian or youíve missed out on most of his posts.
    haven't seen him laugh at your beliefs...if he has, I've missed it

Yes. You feel sympathy. You have empathy. Feeling ďempathyĒ makes no sense. Glad you figured that out for yourself. Telling me you have sympathy for me is quite condescending.

Donít make me answer for arguments that arenít mine. Christians are no dumber nor more intelligent than atheists. The crossing the line reference was pointing out that you have to cross it to answer to the burden of proof. Youíve made a claim there is a God. The burden of proof is yours.

Thatís all.

For what it's worth, my girlfriend is a devout Catholic. I'm an atheist Jew. She is WAY more intelligent than me, WAY more intelligent than I'll ever be. So there's that.
    "Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference, that is, the capacity to place oneself in another's position. Definitions of empathy encompass a broad range of emotional states." Wikipedia

I didn't tell you I had sympathy for you. I asked if you'd prefer I use that word instead of empathy.

I didn't make you answer someone else's questions, I simply told you of other BS I've run into here. I have no burden of proof here, so no line to cross to answer it. This is a discussion forum, not a court of law. I have no more responsibility to prove anything to you than you have to explain to me wth an atheist Jew is.

Were we not having civil discussions before that you've now turned into dark directions just because I questioned your comment that noone that becomes an atheist turns around later and becomes a theist?

It's been interesting here. My spiritual beliefs are very personal to me, so when people question it they question me. Yet it's been people who don't believe in God that seem to get the most defensive.

There's that word again....

"Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference, that is, the capacity to place oneself in another's position. Definitions of empathy encompass a broad range of emotional states." Wikipedia

I didn't tell you I had sympathy for you. I asked if you'd prefer I use that word instead of empathy.

I didn't make you answer someone else's questions, I simply told you of other BS I've run into here. I have no burden of proof here, so no line to cross to answer it. This is a discussion forum, not a court of law. I have no more responsibility to prove anything to you than you have to explain to me wth an atheist Jew is.

Were we not having civil discussions before that you've now turned into dark directions just because I questioned your comment that noone that becomes an atheist turns around later and becomes a theist?

It's been interesting here. My spiritual beliefs are very personal to me, so when people question it they question me. Yet it's been people who don't believe in God that seem to get the most defensive.
    Mr. Site Wolf, I canít argue with anything you just wrote. Youíre absolutely correct. You do not have to prove your beliefs to anyone. They are indeed personal.

I do get defensive though, donít I? Gotta work on that.

It's been interesting here. My spiritual beliefs are very personal to me, so when people question it they question me.
    Of course. Same here.

Yet it's been people who don't believe in God that seem to get the most defensive.
    It may seem that way to you, but I do not think this is accurate.

Yeah. Youíre confusing your confirmation bias with evidence. You donít get to point to something and attribute it it to to God without actually identifying God itself.

Thatís not the way it works.
    So no talk about religion until it's settled if there is a God or not a God? smh
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

From everything I have always thought, a religious person and an atheist are similar in one way that's different from an agnostic.
    A religious person believes there is a God
    An atheist believers there is no God
    An agnostic hasn't decided one way or the other

Meaning, someone acknowledging there could be a God would then not be an atheist
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Blue6 View Post
    Just curious. Why is this in the politics forum? For the record, I was very religious in my younger years. Kind of a Methodist I suppose. Events in my life convinced me that my beliefs were hollow and if God does exist he/she/it is not the one I had been worshiping.

Anyone care?
    I do. As a believer I care that you know who God is so that you can make a clear choice about Him.

Show a post where I laugh about your religious belief. Go ahead.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast