Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang

And Williamson it is. Avery traded to steelers

I liked him. I'm glad he's in a spot where he can have a chance to win.
    I don't love the trade

Jets get steelers 2022 5th and the steelers get Avery and the jets 2022 7th

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I don't love the trade

Look at it this way, we just got a 5th rounder for a 7th rounder. Williamson was on the verge of being cut before the season started, and definitely would not have be on this team next season, so I'm happy with it.
    Your Worst Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I don't love the trade

I believe it also gives us a little more cap space rolled into next year
    Good luck to Avery, I liked him a lot

Quote Originally Posted by lamonster View Post
    Look at it this way, we just got a 5th rounder for a 7th rounder. Williamson was on the verge of being cut before the season started, and definitely would not have be on this team next season, so I'm happy with it.
    Yea I guess thats a good way of looking at it. Ive been seeing these trades as why give a player AND a pick for a slightly better pick. But McLendon, Avery & Willis werent going to be here next year anyway.

Good for Williamson, he really played his best here and I'm glad he has a chance to go far this season.
    Trade compensation is what it is, would have rather kept the 7th rounder but if that was the sticking point then whatever.

Bottom line = another upgraded draft pick.

Doubt he was going to be resigned next year anyway, especially with Mosley returning on the books.

Generally, I like the idea of a firesale and getting whatever you can for guys you know wont be here next year/ling term. My only question/concern is how would keeping some of these FAs-to-be and letting them walk after the season impact compensatory draft picks... in other words, could we conceivably get better picks for just holding onto these guys for 8 games than were netting in these trades (that require us to give up our own picks as well)?

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by lamonster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    I believe it also gives us a little more cap space rolled into next year
    Good luck to Avery, I liked him a lot
    Excellent points. I was just hoping for a 4th. But the cap aspect is really good.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    Generally, I like the idea of a firesale and getting whatever you can for guys you know wont be here next year/ling term. My only question/concern is how would keeping some of these FAs-to-be and letting them walk after the season impact compensatory draft picks... in other words, could we conceivably get better picks for just holding onto these guys for 8 games than were netting in these trades (that require us to give up our own picks as well)?
    The problem with that is with all the cap money they have they will be very active in free agency. The players the will sign will wipe any comp picks.

Quote Originally Posted by flfan1943 View Post
    The problem with that is with all the cap money they have they will be very active in free agency. The players the will sign will wipe any comp picks.
    Youd think, but with Covid, the Johnsons, and JDs build-thru-the-draft approach (and also the fact that were a joke), we might not be players for the big fish in FA. Could be a situation where we screw ourselves out of 4th and 5th rounders for just letting them walk.

But, again, I need clarification on the way compensatory picks are calculated to know if this is a legit concern.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    Youd think, but with Covid, the Johnsons, and JDs build-thru-the-draft approach (and also the fact that were a joke), we might not be players for the big fish in FA. Could be a situation where we screw ourselves out of 4th and 5th rounders for just letting them walk.

But, again, I need clarification on the way compensatory picks are calculated to know if this is a legit concern.
    Layman's Example: Lets say PlayerA plays CB for the Jets.

PlayerA's contract is up at the end of the season, the Jets do not resign him, and PlayerA signs with another team.

The Jets have the option to replace the player via FA, if they do, then no compensatory draft pick is given to them.

If the Jets do not fill then position via FA, then a compensatory pick may be given depending on the new contract value playerA receives from his new team (and other factors, like his playing value for his former team).

Basically, the bigger the contract PlayerA receives from his new team, the better the comp pick.
    The highest comp pick you can receive is a 3rd.

Comp picks were once untradeable, but now you are allowed to trade them.

Very doubtful, Williamson would have received any comp pick as the Jets are likely to find an ILB via FA.
    Especially since Cashman can't stay healthy, and they'll need some bodies next year to rotate.

Otherwise, he probably would have fetched a 5th/6th round comp pick at best.

The other players that were traded would probably not have received a comp pick because of their limited use, maybe McClendon gets you a 6th/7th.

Nutshell.

Draftwise, it's fair to say the trades were a slight upgrade positionally compared to where the comp picks would have been, minus giving back the later round pick.
    Last edited by MrX27; 11-02-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    Layman's Example: Lets say PlayerA plays CB for the Jets.

PlayerA's contract is up at the end of the season, the Jets do not resign him, and PlayerA signs with another team.

The Jets have the option to replace the player via FA, if they do, then no compensatory draft pick is given to them.

If the Jets do not fill then position via FA, then a compensatory pick may be given depending on the new contract value playerA receives from his new team (and other factors, like his playing value for his former team).

Basically, the bigger the contract PlayerA receives from his new team, the better the comp pick.
    The highest comp pick you can receive is a 3rd.

Comp picks were once untradeable, but now you are allowed to trade them.

Very doubtful, Williamson would have received any comp pick as the Jets are likely to find an ILB via FA.
    Especially since Cashman can't stay healthy, and they'll need some bodies next year to rotate.

Otherwise, he probably would have fetched a 5th/6th round comp pick at best.

The other players that were traded would probably not have received a comp pick because of their limited use, maybe McClendon gets you a 6th/7th.

Nutshell.

Draftwise, it's fair to say the trades were a slight upgrade positionally compared to where the comp picks would have been, minus giving back the later round pick.
    I dont think it was to be a direct replacement does it? Even if we just sign a player at another position it wipes out the pick no? So if we lose a CB but sign a G wed still lose the comp pick, thats how I thought it was.

Quote Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
    I dont think it was to be a direct replacement does it? Even if we just sign a player at another position it wipes out the pick no? So if we lose a CB but sign a G wed still lose the comp pick, thats how I thought it was.
    It must be a positional replacement.

So if we lose a CB, but only sign a G, we would still be eligible to receive a comp pick.