Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I guess I've been pretty disappointed by these first row episodes. There's virtually no story and nothing gets advanced. The Child hasn't evolved or changed at all. Mando has a vague "adventure" to find more Mandalorians, but he hasn't done that much yet and it's pretty unclear what they'll really help him with.

I guess I was expecting an actual plot and story. Maybe my expectations were too high, but episode 2 in particular felt really lacking. Feels like they're using the hunt for more Mandalorians as an excuse to get them into a new adventure each week and the hunt for more Mandalorians is just a way to start putting together the hunt for The Child's species, but there's not really a coherent story so they'll milk it for all its worth as this story of the week stuff.
    Episode 1 was great, I think the story was well done and it opened up to what could be coming ahead. Episode 2 I agree was lackluster. there was no plot continuation there was nothing. I do disagree with the child. of course he isn't going to evolve much yet. he is still a youngling and we don't full know how the Yoda species grows. All the other ones we met have been fully aged beings. I mean right now they said the Child is an infant but, is 50 human years. he can walk and get into things so I figure he is the equivalent of a 2 or 3 year old human. I Fully expected that by the time the end of season happens the child will be saying some words. I really thought episode 1 where we see the Mando get eaten by the Krayt and they cut to the Child he was gonna say like da or dada or some version of dad.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I'd be in to more mythology and world building too, and have heard the show goes a bit in that direction as this season progresses. Having said that, this show seems to be designed more as a story of the week kind of thing and hasn't made any attempts at being some complicated, plot driven masterpiece or anything. A kids show at heart basically (or at least a show for the whole family).
    The thing I struggle with is it hasn't decided what it wants to be. If it wants to be an adventure of the week, then be that. But then dont do the open ended story arc that finished Season 1.

That had the makings of a coherent story with some interesting characters to help out or oppose Mando. We get a cliffhanger ending with the Darksaber and the big bad not being dead/potentially being more than we thought. Then we start the next season with 2 standalone episodes that don't include any of those other characters and barely, if at all, advance the story line we got towards the end of Season 1. We're 10 episodes in and I'd say about half have been standalone adventure of the week episodes and the other half have been part of a decent larger story.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Episode 1 was great, I think the story was well done and it opened up to what could be coming ahead. Episode 2 I agree was lackluster. there was no plot continuation there was nothing. I do disagree with the child. of course he isn't going to evolve much yet. he is still a youngling and we don't full know how the Yoda species grows. All the other ones we met have been fully aged beings. I mean right now they said the Child is an infant but, is 50 human years. he can walk and get into things so I figure he is the equivalent of a 2 or 3 year old human. I Fully expected that by the time the end of season happens the child will be saying some words. I really thought episode 1 where we see the Mando get eaten by the Krayt and they cut to the Child he was gonna say like da or dada or some version of dad.
    I guess I wasn't expecting The Child to be like a teenager now or anything like that, but 2 episodes in, we know nothing else about him. And that would be okay-ish if the rest of the plot advanced, but it really hasn't.

I'm on the minority on this and I know I am, but I've never understood the love for Boba Fett. So him making an appearance doesn't do much for me. Maybe it's the cynic in me but I have a feeling he's not a big part of the story line and hell make another appearance or two, but mostly to re-introduce him to set up his own movie or mini-series or whatever they decide.

I could be wrong and I hope I am, but I just think at the end of season 2 if we go back and look at what episodes really advanced the story and what episodes were just adventure of the week fillers, the first episode of season 2 will be more of the latter.

I think this is what it is though: there's an overarching story but they have zero issues going off on what are basically standalone side adventures for more than half the season.

My favorite episodes have easily been the first two and last two episodes of season one fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I guess I wasn't expecting The Child to be like a teenager now or anything like that, but 2 episodes in, we know nothing else about him. And that would be okay-ish if the rest of the plot advanced, but it really hasn't.

I'm on the minority on this and I know I am, but I've never understood the love for Boba Fett. So him making an appearance doesn't do much for me. Maybe it's the cynic in me but I have a feeling he's not a big part of the story line and hell make another appearance or two, but mostly to re-introduce him to set up his own movie or mini-series or whatever they decide.

I could be wrong and I hope I am, but I just think at the end of season 2 if we go back and look at what episodes really advanced the story and what episodes were just adventure of the week fillers, the first episode of season 2 will be more of the latter.
    but, thats the thing, we don't know much about the Child's species. we know of 2 in canon i believe. Yaddle and Yoda. we know that their species are small like gnomish creatures, we know they live long life spans and we know from the 2 that we have met they are extremely strong in the force. I think that is why they are taking their time developing the Child because they don't have much to go with and don't want to destroy what Yoda and his species are.

Boba Fett is definitely a polarizing character. In the OT you see him very little but, are told he is one of the best bounty hunters in the galaxy. in the prequels you find out that he is just a clone of Jango and Jango is raising him a son. you also see Boba watch Jango get decapitated. Now in the old Expanded Universe he became some what of a bad ***. He reached the top and would eventually become Mandalore leader of the Mandalorians (you also kind of learn from a couple of the novels that the Clone troopers would bully Boba).

I think what makes the Mandalorian so good is that they are taking things from the old expanded universe and bringing them into the disneyverse and it is actually kind of saving their *****. But, we just have to wait and see, its only been 2 episodes. the first one I thought was really good the 2nd one was just mehh. I expect the story to pick up in the next episode.

I'd be fine with them taking it slow with the development and reveal of The Child of the rest of the story was advancing. And that's what I've been disappointed with. Maybe the rear of the season will wrap the first te episodes back in and it'll be a great connection, but so far it's been weak. In season 1 we had questions about The Child. He was hunted early and obviously was of huge interest to the flailing remains of the empire at the very least. It was speculated and hinted at that cloning was involved in some way. Whether The Child himself was a clone or if they intended to cline him wasn't clear, but it was a nice mystery. His powers showed on occasion, but were also mysterious. And Moff Gideon was a good bad guy late in the season and was interesting. They then finish with the huge Darksaber cliff hanger.

Now a quarter of the way into the next season, none of that has even been vaguely advanced. Mando is looking to reunite The Child with his species. But even that plot line hasn't done much. It's simply been an excuse to give Mando a mission to encapsulate in the episode.

It's been hinted at as well that Mando needs to find more Mandalorians to help him find The Child's species because they fought wars with the Jedi long ago. But even that isn't super clear for why his hunt is focused on finding Mandalorians instead of just finding people that may know what the Child is.

Feels like half the episodes have basically been send Mando to find a macguffin, have Baby Yoda do something cute and meme-able, have Mando fight and defeat a monster or some bad guys, Mando wins/completes his mission and has to do it all over again next week. And half the episodes are actually plot driven and move the story forward. I much prefer the plot driven episodes and it doesn't feel like either episode so far has done that. Maybe they'll retroactively have some importance, but I have a feeling anything super important that comes from the episodes could have been done quicker and more efficiently instead of spending a bunch of time on some fluff missions.

Nice to see Bo Katan make an appearance!

I guess we going to see Asoka Tano next week?!?!?

Pretty good episode, nice job by Bryce Dallas Howard.

solid episode, much better than episode 2.

side note, can't believe people are having such a fit over The Child eating the eggs in episode 2.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    solid episode, much better than episode 2.

side note, can't believe people are having such a fit over The Child eating the eggs in episode 2.
    Yeah, it's tough to tell whether that's legit outrage or satire. Unfortunately, I think a decent amount of it is the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I guess we going to see Asoka Tano next week?!?!?

Pretty good episode, nice job by Bryce Dallas Howard.
    Really dug this episode. Though I have a feeling Ahsoka won't be seen until episode five or later. The Razor Crest is in bad shape (among other things that could make a rendezvous with her not so easy). Will be interesting to see how she reacts to the Child, seeing as how she is more than familiar with Yoda.

Really enjoyed this episode. Finally gave some new intrigue and starting to introduce new characters. Still not sure how I feel about adding in live action asohka, but I'm excited about what's next.

Another solid episode action wise.

Episode 13 is reportedly named “The Jedi”.

So guess we might see Asoka?

And we finally know his name!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast