Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand?

Hand?

Covid cost casualty?

In a rather stunning move, the Indians have placed closer Brad Hand on outright waivers, Zack Meisel of The Athletic reports (via Twitter). It’s a pure cost-cutting transaction from Cleveland, with the hope that another team places a claim on the left-hander, who has a $10MM club option on his current contract. Any club that claims Hand would be able to pick up that option and retain him for the 2021 season at that $10MM price.

The Indians had planned to decline the option, which would’ve required paying a $1MM buyout. They’ll decline it if he goes unclaimed. However, Cleveland would stand to save that $1MM if another team makes a claim, which seems possible given Hand’s excellent 2020 season and generally strong track record.

Hand, 30, led the American League with 16 saves this year and posted a 22-to-4 K/BB ratio with a 2.05 ERA over the life of 22 innings. He had a few hiccups in the ninth inning early on, but Hand’s overall results fall right in line with his All-Star track record. Since being unearthed by the Padres on a waiver claim back in 2016, Hand owns a 2.70 ERA with 12.2 K/9, 3.0 BB/9 and 0.87 HR/9. MLBTR
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Now that is a pretty good option .

Jon Heyman@JonHeyman
    ·
    1m
    Braves turn down Darren O’Day $3.5M option. Bit of a surprise considering how well he’s pitched for Braves (1.21 ERA in 2 years there). Not as big a shock as Brad Hand going on outright waivers but not something you’d expect.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Depending on the cost, i'd love to get Hand as a non closer, relief option for next yr

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Zack Britton 2020:

76 batters faced, 12 H, 0 HR, 4 ER, .482 OPS

Brad Hand 2020:

86 batters faced, 13 H, 0 HR, 5 ER, .486 OPS

Id absolutely love if they get Brad Hand.

Huge help in an area where help is needed.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    Zack Britton 2020:

76 batters faced, 12 H, 0 HR, 4 ER, .482 OPS

Brad Hand 2020:

86 batters faced, 13 H, 0 HR, 5 ER, .486 OPS

Id absolutely love if they get Brad Hand.

Huge help in an area where help is needed.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Talk about great comps for each other stat wise, I couldn't agree more that I'd to have him as a non closing option. I'd love to add Hand and he's going to be about 1/2 the cost of Britton. Do u really think they would go with 3 LHed relievers as their 3 best options out of the pen? They would have to also add a reliable RHed reliever to be able to mix and match at the end of the game more effectively

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    The FO should give. the Yankees a Hand to rebuild their PB..

Oh!

Ignorance is bliss

Jon Heyman@JonHeyman
    Not one team claimed Brad Hand for $10M. He was a top 3 finalist for AL reliever of the year with a 0.77 WHIP. and 16 saves. Time to revise free agent contract projections downward! (Hand is now a free agent after Indians then declined the $10M option and paid $1M buyout.)

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Jon Heyman@JonHeyman
    Not one team claimed Brad Hand for $10M. He was a top 3 finalist for AL reliever of the year with a 0.77 WHIP. and 16 saves. Time to revise free agent contract projections downward! (Hand is now a free agent after Indians then declined the $10M option and paid $1M buyout.)
    No surprise there . The market this off season is gonna be slow and downward .

Top 3 reliever in AL for the taking at $10M?

I would expect serious interest. I guess teams are hurting financially and watching the bottom line very closely! TIME TO GO SHOPPING HAL!

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Top 3 reliever in AL for the taking at $10M?

I would expect serious interest. I guess teams are hurting financially and watching the bottom line very closely! TIME TO GO SHOPPING HAL!
    100%. Where not going to be able to find a better BP option that cheap at the deadline or FA next yr. We've needed relievers at both the last 2 deadlines. The really should load up on 2-3 quality relievers when we can get them so cheap this winter and not be in a position to overpay at the deadline.

I would absolutely love to get Hendricks from the A's to replace Kahnle, Hand and maybe take a flier on a couple failed starter on incentive heavy deals

No one wants Brad Hand for 10 million? I can see the yankees swoopng in and offering him 30 million for 2 years, but not a penny more! You don't play hardball with the yankees!

Yankees not claiming Hand for 10M shocks me. That is a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Yankees not claiming Hand for 10M shocks me. That is a bargain.
    Seems like they are hoping no one does and then they could possibly make a cheaper offer later

Is Ottavino worth $9 million? Probably not., 5.2 BB/9 says it all. Spend it on Hand. A better fit in many ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast