Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kluber?

Kluber?

The Rangers plan to decline Corey Kluber’s $18MM option for the 2021 season, reports T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com (via Twitter). They’ll instead pay him a $1MM buyout. Texas could still look to re-sign Kluber to a more affordable pact. MLBTR

He is getting older at 34, but his credentials are exceptional. Short term flyer on the cheap?

He’s a two-time American League Cy Young Award winner — plus another pair of top-three finishes — and a three-time All-Star. From 2014-18, he was unequivocally on the short list of MLB’s most dominant pitchers, working to a combined 2.85 ERA with 10.1 K/9 against 1.8 BB/9 over the life of 1091 1/3 innings.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

I've been talking about Kluber for awhile now. Now that we absolutely know his option isn't being picked up, it's imperative the yankees make a compelling offer to his agent and get Kluber signed. There's no way they should be outbid by the Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    The Rangers plan to decline Corey Kluber’s $18MM option for the 2021 season, reports T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com (via Twitter). They’ll instead pay him a $1MM buyout. Texas could still look to re-sign Kluber to a more affordable pact. MLBTR

He is getting older at 34, but his credentials are exceptional. Short term flyer on the cheap?

He’s a two-time American League Cy Young Award winner — plus another pair of top-three finishes — and a three-time All-Star. From 2014-18, he was unequivocally on the short list of MLB’s most dominant pitchers, working to a combined 2.85 ERA with 10.1 K/9 against 1.8 BB/9 over the life of 1091 1/3 innings.
    But what did he do in 2019 and this past season ? And how many innings has he given up to now ?

Not advocating the move, only throwing it out for discussion. He's a 34 yr old coming off two injury plagued seasons. His prime may be behind him. Offered as a buy low and hope. He has the pedigree, how much is left in the tank?
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Not advocating the move, only throwing it out for discussion. He's a 34 yr old coming off two injury plagued seasons. His prime may be behind him. Offered as a buy low and hope. He has the pedigree, how much is left in the tank?
    If the Yankees didn’t need a solid pitcher behind cole so badly I would be open to give kluber a try

he got hit in the hand with a baseball in 2019 and it was fractured, then he tore a muscle in his shoulder last year. He's hardly injury plagued. I'd be way more worried about Paxton, if I had to choose between the both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    he got hit in the hand with a baseball in 2019 and it was fractured, then he tore a muscle in his shoulder last year. He's hardly injury plagued. I'd be way more worried about Paxton, if I had to choose between the both of them.
    Not suggesting he's an injury plague. The reality, he's soon to be 35 and coming off two injuries. He has pitched 36 innings last two seasons. However his work history prior to injury is stellar. He's a consistent 200+ innings workhorse going back to 2014!

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Not suggesting he's an injury plague. The reality, he's soon to be 35 and coming off two injuries. He has pitched 36 innings last two seasons. However his work history prior to injury is stellar. He's a consistent 200+ innings workhorse going back to 2014!
    Web has a thing for injured players.

Robertson
    Verlander
    Kluber

Hmm

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

With as badly as we need high upside options its hard not to be interested in Kluber. He's not a power pitcher so that part of his injury shouldn't be an issue. I completely depends on what he want for a contract. I'd jump at him on a 1yr low salary with a ton of incentives type deal.He actually one of the few available FA pitchers who could put up an elite type TOR season were looking for. A healthy Kluber could be a solid #2 behind Cole It wouldn't surprise me to see Kluber out perform Tanaka next yr

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    With as badly as we need high upside options its hard not to be interested in Kluber. He's not a power pitcher so that part of his injury shouldn't be an issue. I completely depends on what he want for a contract. I'd jump at him on a 1yr low salary with a ton of incentives type deal.He actually one of the few available FA pitchers who could put up an elite type TOR season were looking for. A healthy Kluber could be a solid #2 behind Cole It wouldn't surprise me to see Kluber out perform Tanaka next yr
    I would love the idea one him as a back end anchor but with so much up in the air? Meh.
    I wouldn't be irritated or happy if they signed him. It's a decent risk reward if he's cheap but it would feel kind of like replacing Happ with Happ.

Ignorance is bliss

Imo Happ has never pitched close to Klubers level. Kluber being a movement, change eye level, changes speeds type pitcher he should age better than a pitcher like Happ who is so dependent on his multiple FBs.

Coming off his last 2yrs I wouldn't sign Kluber expecting him to help anchor the rotation behind Cole.

I think he offers the best chance of the fa pitcher to massively out perform his contract next yr.

If the cost is right and the medicals look OK I'd gladly give him a look as a.mid to backend starter

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Imo Happ has never pitched close to Klubers level. Kluber being a movement, change eye level, changes speeds type pitcher he should age better than a pitcher like Happ who is so dependent on his multiple FBs.

Coming off his last 2yrs I wouldn't sign Kluber expecting him to help anchor the rotation behind Cole.

I think he offers the best chance of the fa pitcher to massively out perform his contract next yr.

If the cost is right and the medicals look OK I'd gladly give him a look as a.mid to backend starter
    Kluber has been a much better pitcher from start to finish. I just meant we would be using one Iffy, guy in his mid 30s to replace the other.
    Kluber certainly has a greater upside when healthy.
    It may have read like I meant Happ was as good as Kluber but it's not in any way, what I meant

Ignorance is bliss

I gotcha. U had me worried for a second. I was thinking I was going to have to put u back in the trunk of the Mazda and take u up to Canada lol

With as badly as we need high upside options its hard not to be interested in Kluber. He's not a power pitcher so that part of his injury shouldn't be an issue. I completely depends on what he want for a contract. I'd jump at him on a 1yr low salary with a ton of incentives type deal.He actually one of the few available FA pitchers who could put up an elite type TOR season were looking for. A healthy Kluber could be asolid #2behind Cole It wouldn't surprise me to see Kluber out perform Tanaka next yr
    Agree. Risk - reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Kluber has been a much better pitcher from start to finish. I just meant we would be using one Iffy, guy in his mid 30s to replace the other.
    Kluber certainly has a greater upside when healthy.
    It may have read like I meant Happ was as good as Kluber but it's not in any way, what I meant
    Also agree. Risk - Reward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast