Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: La Russa hired

So, you wonder, who would the #WhiteSox

have turned to if Hall of Fame manager Tony La Russa, 76, had decided to stay retired? Future Hall of Famer Bruce Bochy, 65, was next on their wish list.

Per Bob Nightengale

Hahn will not quit.....He's not stupid. He has a lifetime job and so uncle Jerry hurt his feelings, he'll get over it! Besides if they win with La Russa ,they will all take a bow, if they don't he can always say it wasn't his idea.

I personally do NOT like the hire at all.........La Russa will rub the players the wrong way, because that's what he does. He always thought he was the smartest guy in the room!

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    I personally do NOT like the hire at all.........La Russa will rub the players the wrong way, because that's what he does. He always thought he was the smartest guy in the room!
    I mean it would be ignorant to say he isn't the smartest guy in any room discussing/coaching/managing baseball. He rubbed his players to 3 world series wins.

I personally would hope that our coach thinks he's smarter than a bunch of young players that haven't scratched the surface of what they can learn about the game.

I donít see where Stone seems unhappy with it either. What I will say, is that most of the distain for the LaRussa hire seems to have more to do with non-baseball reasons than anything to do with LaRussaís baseball chops, but they are thinly veiled as concerns over his age.

How old was Jack McKeon when he won with Florida?

While 76 is older than myself and probably most experts on this site, itís not at the point where you are automatically an invalid with a drool cup. Many people function just fine at that age. He doesnít have to run the bases or shag flies.

Just about all of the detractors have an issue with his stance with flag kneeling. This is more political than anything. And the shame is that the same people who are saying that a person A has a right to his own opinion and free speech, is saying that person B is unemployable and should be cast out of society for having his opinion, when asked. Hypocracy at its finest!

Jack McKeon won a World Series when he was 72, went on to manage 2 more years. Then came back to manage a weak team that had lost 10 in a row and 19 of 20, to a 40-50 record at the age of 80.

Itís not like we brought back Terry Bevington. LaRussa is a frickin HOFer and has won 3 championships. I really donít get how people can be this upset about this from purely a baseball perspective. People need to get over their own bigotry and look at it from strictly a baseball perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    I mean it would be ignorant to say he isn't the smartest guy in any room discussing/coaching/managing baseball. He rubbed his players to 3 world series wins.
    Meh, he was a great manager but any manager that actively uses advanced stats is probably better than him at this point. He knows of advanced stats but has never managed while using them. I'm skeptical that he will.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blams; 10-30-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Meh, he was a great manager but any manager that actively uses advanced stats is probably better than him at this point. He knows of advanced stats but has never managed while using them. I'm skeptical that he will.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    I wonder what advanced stats told the Rays to do with Snell in game 6?

Also, how are we assuming La Russa doesn't use them?

I believe LaRussa specifically addressed that issue during the interviews by saying that he would utilize advanced stats and analytics. Next issue?

Let's see everyone is screaming 3 WS rings for Tony......Can someone please say what the rumors and later were proven to be facts???

3 WS rings = fact

The rest are all rumors, to my knowledge.

So Canseco and Mac were rumors, still?? You mean the smartest man in the room didn't know why these guys went from normal to the Hulk in a offseason in front of his nose!!!! Really...

Those rumors have been proven to be facts....

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast