Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MLB to deploy several experimental rules in minor leagues this season

Major League Baseball on Thursday outlined a litany of experimental rules it plans to implement at different minor league levels this season, including banning some forms of defensive shifts, more games governed by an electronic strike zone, a 15-second pitch clock, limiting pickoff moves and larger bases.

The rules changes, announced by the league in anticipation of a minor league season expected to begin in May, will be studied for potential adoption in the major leagues. The league made a number of hires, including bringing on former Chicago Cubs president Theo Epstein as a consultant, in hopes of improving its on-field product.

Each level of the newly constructed minor leagues, which came under MLB control and will go from 162 teams to 120, will have a twist on game play. The most radical will be at Double-A, where four infielders will be mandated to have both feet on the infield dirt, preventing the extreme shifts that often see players from the left side of the infield shifted to short right field. Depending on the results, the league said, the second half of the season could see a more extreme version of the rule: two infielders on each side of the second-base bag.

The league was unabashed in its explanation for the rule: "These restrictions on defensive positioning are intended to increase the batting average on balls in play."
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...leagues-season

I'm in to the idea of making first base a bit larger to lessen the chance of a runner sending a pitcher to the IL because of a close play where both are running to touch 1B first a la Tim Hudson's gruesome injury some years back, but don't see much of a need to enlarge the other bases (especially if it shortens the distance between each base).

Def in to an automated strike zone if they can really hone it in well.

Not at all in to banning or policing shifts.

Why not just use a double bag for 1B? Problem solved.

I don't like any of the other suggestions. Limiting pickoff moves, electronic strike zone and policing shifts? Give me a break. If they want to impose an electronic strike zone then just draw a berbie box behind the plate and remove the catcher altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Why not just use a double bag for 1B? Problem solved.

I don't like any of the other suggestions. Limiting pickoff moves, electronic strike zone and policing shifts? Give me a break. If they want to impose an electronic strike zone then just draw a berbie box behind the plate and remove the catcher altogether.
    Double bag, with the additional one in foul territory would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Double bag, with the additional one in foul territory would make sense.
    That was what I was implying. Bag in fair territory is for the fielder while the bag in foul territory is for the runner. Make them the cushioned bags as well. It's what my mens league uses.
    Last edited by R. Johnson#3; 03-11-2021 at 09:03 PM.

Bigger bases Iím fun with at 1st.

I like the speed up (enforcing) of the time between pitches.

Automated strike zone is going to be one of the last things to really change.

Not sure about the shift policing. Itís not like itís done to every hitter and I donít think you should designate where a player positions themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

I'm trying to wrap my head around limiting pickoffs. What happens if a pitcher reaches his max amount of pickoff attempts? The baserunner can just start jogging to the next base before the pitcher even comes to the set.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I'm in to the idea of making first base a bit larger to lessen the chance of a runner sending a pitcher to the IL because of a close play where both are running to touch 1B first a la Tim Hudson's gruesome injury some years back, but don't see much of a need to enlarge the other bases (especially if it shortens the distance between each base).

Def in to an automated strike zone if they can really hone it in well.

Not at all in to banning or policing shifts.
    Imo there should be two 1st base bags like in softball. Totally eliminate possible collisions.
    I'm also all for auto K zone.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I'm trying to wrap my head around limiting pickoffs. What happens if a pitcher reaches his max amount of pickoff attempts? The baserunner can just start jogging to the next base before the pitcher even comes to the set.
    Yeah that is strange.

I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Yeah that is strange.

Billy Hamilton basically becomes an MVP candidate with this rule lol

MLB to deploy several experimental rules in minor leagues this season

Billy Hamilton basically becomes an MVP candidate with this rule lol
    He has to get on base first

where the hell is my fav dodger fan complaining from his porch at 90 years old about changing the rules and getting off my lawn?

Good **** on MLB trying to improve their product like every other sport for all fans.

yup its the one rule that seems really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    where the hell is my fav dodger fan complaining from his porch at 90 years old about changing the rules and getting off my lawn?

Good **** on MLB trying to improve their product like every other sport for all fans.

Mr. A-Hole strikes again.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post

Mr. A-Hole strikes again.
    Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast