Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    57,790

    MLB to deploy several experimental rules in minor leagues this season

    Major League Baseball on Thursday outlined a litany of experimental rules it plans to implement at different minor league levels this season, including banning some forms of defensive shifts, more games governed by an electronic strike zone, a 15-second pitch clock, limiting pickoff moves and larger bases.

    The rules changes, announced by the league in anticipation of a minor league season expected to begin in May, will be studied for potential adoption in the major leagues. The league made a number of hires, including bringing on former Chicago Cubs president Theo Epstein as a consultant, in hopes of improving its on-field product.

    Each level of the newly constructed minor leagues, which came under MLB control and will go from 162 teams to 120, will have a twist on game play. The most radical will be at Double-A, where four infielders will be mandated to have both feet on the infield dirt, preventing the extreme shifts that often see players from the left side of the infield shifted to short right field. Depending on the results, the league said, the second half of the season could see a more extreme version of the rule: two infielders on each side of the second-base bag.

    The league was unabashed in its explanation for the rule: "These restrictions on defensive positioning are intended to increase the batting average on balls in play."
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...leagues-season

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    57,790
    I'm in to the idea of making first base a bit larger to lessen the chance of a runner sending a pitcher to the IL because of a close play where both are running to touch 1B first a la Tim Hudson's gruesome injury some years back, but don't see much of a need to enlarge the other bases (especially if it shortens the distance between each base).

    Def in to an automated strike zone if they can really hone it in well.

    Not at all in to banning or policing shifts.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,061
    Why not just use a double bag for 1B? Problem solved.

    I don't like any of the other suggestions. Limiting pickoff moves, electronic strike zone and policing shifts? Give me a break. If they want to impose an electronic strike zone then just draw a berbie box behind the plate and remove the catcher altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    57,790
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Why not just use a double bag for 1B? Problem solved.

    I don't like any of the other suggestions. Limiting pickoff moves, electronic strike zone and policing shifts? Give me a break. If they want to impose an electronic strike zone then just draw a berbie box behind the plate and remove the catcher altogether.
    Double bag, with the additional one in foul territory would make sense.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,061
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Double bag, with the additional one in foul territory would make sense.
    That was what I was implying. Bag in fair territory is for the fielder while the bag in foul territory is for the runner. Make them the cushioned bags as well. It's what my mens league uses.
    Last edited by R. Johnson#3; 03-11-2021 at 09:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    42,469
    Bigger bases Iím fun with at 1st.

    I like the speed up (enforcing) of the time between pitches.

    Automated strike zone is going to be one of the last things to really change.

    Not sure about the shift policing. Itís not like itís done to every hitter and I donít think you should designate where a player positions themselves.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,061
    I'm trying to wrap my head around limiting pickoffs. What happens if a pitcher reaches his max amount of pickoff attempts? The baserunner can just start jogging to the next base before the pitcher even comes to the set.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    37,684
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I'm in to the idea of making first base a bit larger to lessen the chance of a runner sending a pitcher to the IL because of a close play where both are running to touch 1B first a la Tim Hudson's gruesome injury some years back, but don't see much of a need to enlarge the other bases (especially if it shortens the distance between each base).

    Def in to an automated strike zone if they can really hone it in well.

    Not at all in to banning or policing shifts.
    Imo there should be two 1st base bags like in softball. Totally eliminate possible collisions.
    I'm also all for auto K zone.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    42,469
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I'm trying to wrap my head around limiting pickoffs. What happens if a pitcher reaches his max amount of pickoff attempts? The baserunner can just start jogging to the next base before the pitcher even comes to the set.
    Yeah that is strange.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,061
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Yeah that is strange.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Billy Hamilton basically becomes an MVP candidate with this rule lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    42,469

    MLB to deploy several experimental rules in minor leagues this season

    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Billy Hamilton basically becomes an MVP candidate with this rule lol
    He has to get on base first


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    117,403
    where the hell is my fav dodger fan complaining from his porch at 90 years old about changing the rules and getting off my lawn?

    Good **** on MLB trying to improve their product like every other sport for all fans.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    117,403
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I'm trying to wrap my head around limiting pickoffs. What happens if a pitcher reaches his max amount of pickoff attempts? The baserunner can just start jogging to the next base before the pitcher even comes to the set.
    yup its the one rule that seems really bad.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La Puente, CA
    Posts
    14,714
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    where the hell is my fav dodger fan complaining from his porch at 90 years old about changing the rules and getting off my lawn?

    Good **** on MLB trying to improve their product like every other sport for all fans.

    Mr. A-Hole strikes again.

    Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Posts
    42,469
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post

    Mr. A-Hole strikes again.
    Lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •