Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    He would be interesting and I was a bit surprised that the Rockies non-tendered him, considering that he wasn't scheduled to make that much via arbitration. The Rockies apparently have said that they will not attempt to re-sign him to a contract at a lesser amount either. I am not familiar with his injury history, other than he's apparently recovering from shoulder surgery.
    Yeah, he might be seriously injured or something, he's always been injury prone but even at 80-100 games he's an asset (except 2020).

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    He would be interesting and I was a bit surprised that the Rockies non-tendered him, considering that he wasn't scheduled to make that much via arbitration. The Rockies apparently have said that they will not attempt to re-sign him to a contract at a lesser amount either. I am not familiar with his injury history, other than he's apparently recovering from shoulder surgery.
    According to MLBTR, "He’s had his spleen removed after suffering a laceration during a violent on-field collision, and he’s since dealt with stress reactions in his rib cage, a fractured foot, a high ankle sprain, multiple back injuries and most recently a shoulder injury."

They also said when he's healthy he's shown signs of being a star player. He was the 10th pick of the draft in 2012 and was a top 25 prospect multiple times.
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

According to some reports, the MLB has told the teams to assume the DH won't be used in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    According to some reports, the MLB has told the teams to assume the DH won't be used in the NL.
    Definitely bad news for the Braves and every NL team. It is just ridiculous that AL teams have been given this advantage when bidding for positional players because of the existence of the DH. AL teams have been able to go a little overboard on number of years because, as a positional player with a good bat ages they can simply slide him into DH and still get some value out of him. NL teams have never had that luxury and, as such, had to bid accordingly in free agency. It truly sucks.

That is awful news! These leagues need to have the same player/position parameters for teams to have an even playing field when signing players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't know who is pushing back on the DH thing when it comes to teams. Yeah there is fan pushback by some but zero teams should not want it. Keeps your very expensive pitchers from swinging a bat and as you have said gives you an option to have a good bat in your lineup who doesn't have a good glove.

I have seen some say PH would get paid less and jobs would be loss being they would fill one with a RP but your getting 15 higher paid jobs added though. Seems like a no brainer.

Lance Lynn traded to the White Sox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Braves signed Ozuna last off season to play LF, not knowing their will be a DH. I don't see why it would hinder them to sign him again, especially if the DH will be in the NL by 2022. Pache in center should help cover some group to help Ozuna.

The Braves did not select anybody in the rule 5 draft. However, the AAA phase of the draft they did pick A.J. Puckett from the White Sox. He was a 2nd round pick of the Royals in 2016 and then traded to the White Sox for Melky Cabrera in 2017. He missed the 2018 season because of elbow pain and then in March of 2019 underwent Tommy John surgery.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by BraveWorld23 View Post
    Braves signed Ozuna last off season to play LF, not knowing their will be a DH. I don't see why it would hinder them to sign him again, especially if the DH will be in the NL by 2022. Pache in center should help cover some group to help Ozuna.
    Yeah but they sign him for 1 season, after the Braves saw what he looks in LF, there's no way they sign him longterm without the DH.

Yeah but they sign him for 1 season, after the Braves saw what he looks in LF, there's no way they sign him longterm without the DH.
    The MLB and MLBPA just need to agree on the DH for 2021. I mean I don't think there's been a more obvious change that everybody can agree on. It's ridiculous no decision has been made yet. MLB continues to look like they have no idea what their doing.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Well if they know the DH will be by 2022, I don't think 1 year would hinder the Braves signing him. Also, it's not like he didn't play LF at all last year

Dahl to the Rangers, 1 year 3 million

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    The MLB and MLBPA just need to agree on the DH for 2021. I mean I don't think there's been a more obvious change that everybody can agree on. It's ridiculous no decision has been made yet. MLB continues to look like they have no idea what their doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveWorld23 View Post
    Well if they know the DH will be by 2022, I don't think 1 year would hinder the Braves signing him. Also, it's not like he didn't play LF at all last year
    I agree, but We also know How difficult it Is at times for the MLB PA and owners to get on the same page in minimal changes. Can't asume the DH will be on both leagues by 2022 even if it feels obvio us. The risk Is Just too big.

Another name that hasn't been mentioned, mainly because of the risk of the DH not being available next year, is Nelson Cruz. It's a big gamble because he only makes sense if the DH is available in the NL next year but, if Ozuna signs a big contract with another team, then Cruz is the next best bat available. He's been about as good as any hitter in MLB outside of Trout over the last 6 years, so he certainly meets the team'sneed for a middle-of-the-order bat with power.

The risk is what I already stated: that he is basically a full-time DH at this point in his career and would be useless to the Braves if there is no DH in 2021 and he's 40 years old. The track record of players in their 40s hasn't been good in MLB but he's managed to defy the odds so far and continued to hit like an elite batter all through his late 30s. He reportedly wants a 2 year deal, though I think it might be possible to compromise and give him a 1 year deal with an option for a 2nd year that is tied to his health (number of at-bats). I know some will cringe at the thought because of the risk involved and it would lessen Atlanta's flexibility because he cannot play the outfield but, if Ozuna goes elsewhere and you just want the next best bat available, then Cruz is that guy.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast