Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
    read that Langliers was showing off his cannon yesterday vs the Rays.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I really like his poise at the plate, you just have a feeling of him putting a good at bat everytime. Since a backup catcher plays 2-3 times a week, he won't miss that many at bats as a backup.
    I'd also like him as the backup. Alex Jackson just doesn't do it for me. I had hoped he could turn it around after we brought him here as a reclamation project but he just hasn't shown anything to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    I'd also like him as the backup. Alex Jackson just doesn't do it for me. I had hoped he could turn it around after we brought him here as a reclamation project but he just hasn't shown anything to me.
    Yeah, and the more I think about it, I like it more. Spending the whole year in the majors, working with the pitching staff and the coaches will be huge for his development, it might be a good strategy for the Braves if they want him as an everyday catcher next season.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Yeah, and the more I think about it, I like it more. Spending the whole year in the majors, working with the pitching staff and the coaches will be huge for his development, it might be a good strategy for the Braves if they want him as an everyday catcher next season.
    Plus we're going to have make a decision on d'Arnaud after this year. If Contreras has a productive season as the back up then AA might feel more comfortable moving on from d'Arnaud and spending that money elsewhere. Shea Langeliers will be ready sometime next year too. Langeliers defensively is already ready for the majors.
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Plus we're going to have make a decision on d'Arnaud after this year. If Contreras has a productive season as the back up then AA might feel more comfortable moving on from d'Arnaud and spending that money elsewhere. Shea Langeliers will be ready sometime next year too. Langeliers defensively is already ready for the majors.
    Yeah, TDA is already 32, the only way I see him back after this season is if he has a huge year like in 2020 and even if that's the case, signing a 32 year old catcher to a multi year deal might not be smart, even less if you have two guys capable of playing everyday. If I have to bet, this will be the last year of TDA with the Braves.

Braves using their opening day lineup today and Lamb is in the lineup as the DH. Likely means he at least has a good shot at winning a bench spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Smyly goes 2IP with 8 hits, 1 BB and 5 ER against the Pirates. Yikes!

Michael Harris has been getting some big time praise during spring training. I read a few weeks ago that Nick Markakis offered some high praise for Harris last year after Markakis spent a little time rehabbing at the alternate training site. Marquis Grissom took that praise to another level. Grissom said this:

“All I can say as a former player is, he’s different,” said Marquis Grissom, a former All-Star center fielder who played 17 seasons with six teams, including two with the Braves in 1995-1996, winning Gold Gloves both of those years and a World Series ring in 1995. “And the last time I saw a player when I said he was different, that was Chipper Jones, that was Barry Bonds, that was Gary Sheffield, that was Jim Thome.

“All the great players, they’re different. And that’s what Mike Harris is — he’s different.”

Later on in the article DOB speculated that Harris might jump Waters and that there are some observers who think instead of our future OF consisting of Acuna/Pache/Waters that instead it'll be Acuna/Pache/Harris.

I knew Harris was a good prospect but I didn't realize his upside was that high. This is really good to hear. Maybe Waters becomes expendable if we look to make a big time trade.

https://theathletic.com/2439006/2021...tlanta-braves/
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Michael Harris has been getting some big time praise during spring training. I read a few weeks ago that Nick Markakis offered some high praise for Harris last year after Markakis spent a little time rehabbing at the alternate training site. Marquis Grissom took that praise to another level. Grissom said this:

“All I can say as a former player is, he’s different,” said Marquis Grissom, a former All-Star center fielder who played 17 seasons with six teams, including two with the Braves in 1995-1996, winning Gold Gloves both of those years and a World Series ring in 1995. “And the last time I saw a player when I said he was different, that was Chipper Jones, that was Barry Bonds, that was Gary Sheffield, that was Jim Thome.

“All the great players, they’re different. And that’s what Mike Harris is — he’s different.”

Later on in the article DOB speculated that Harris might jump Waters and that there are some observers who think instead of our future OF consisting of Acuna/Pache/Waters that instead it'll be Acuna/Pache/Harris.

I knew Harris was a good prospect but I didn't realize his upside was that high. This is really good to hear. Maybe Waters becomes expendable if we look to make a big time trade.

https://theathletic.com/2439006/2021...tlanta-braves/
    Wow. I need to read that article then. I have seen bits and pieces on Harris but also didn't realize he had that kind of upside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Wow. I need to read that article then. I have seen bits and pieces on Harris but also didn't realize he had that kind of upside.
    Small sample but he's been killing it so far in ST. He homered today, opposite field I think. Batting over .400 so far.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

The Braves are apparently trying to sign Maikel Franco. I am not sure exactly what to make of this, other than it makes me believe that the team is not confident in Austin Riley. They wouldn't sign Franco to be a backup, would they?

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...83141437906944

I think they would sign him as a backup/insurance. If Riley can’t get it right, maybe a Lamb/Franco platoon?

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    The Braves are apparently trying to sign Maikel Franco. I am not sure exactly what to make of this, other than it makes me believe that the team is not confident in Austin Riley. They wouldn't sign Franco to be a backup, would they?

A bad team like the O's he can probably start but most teams he's probably a platoon or bench bat at this point. This could also be a reflection on how they feel about Camargo. DOB mentioned Ehire Adrianza has looked solid. If Adrianza can prove to be a better INF glove then maybe Camargo is on the outside looking in for a roster spot? Camargo has shown nothing with the bat the last two years.

I could see a bench of:

Lamb 3B/1B
    Franco 3B/1B
    Adrianza SS/2B
    Inciarte OF
    Contreras C

Lamb against right handers and Franco against lefties are your two main pinch hitters. Without a DH the need for solid pinch hitters in the NL is back. Adrianza and Inciarte are there for their speed and glove. Contreras can pinch hit and start around 40 games. If there is an injury in the OF then Riley can slide out there and Lamb/Franco platoon at 3rd. I like the idea of this bench.
    Last edited by vikingsfan0845; 03-12-2021 at 12:41 PM.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post

Since the Braves are a championship team they don't want to keep Riley out there everyday, you need depth if you're trying to win. Franco will be a really good bat off the bench and insurance in case of injury or struggle. If the price is right I would like the sign.

A bad team like the O's he can probably start but most teams he's probably a platoon or bench bat at this point. This could also be a reflection on how they feel about Camargo. DOB mentioned Ehire Adrianza has looked solid. If Adrianza can prove to be a better INF glove then maybe Camargo is on the outside looking in for a roster spot? Camargo has shown nothing with the bat the last two years.

I could see a bench of:

Lamb 3B/1B
    Franco 3B/1B
    Adrianza SS/2B
    Inciarte OF
    Contreras C

Lamb against right handers and Franco against lefties are your two main pinch hitters. Without a DH the need for solid pinch hitters in the NL is back. Adrianza and Inciarte are there for their speed and glove. Contreras can pinch hit and start around 40 games. If there is an injury in the OF then Riley can slide out there and Lamb/Franco platoon at 3rd. I like the idea of this bench.
    Count me in.

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast