5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post

Minasian was officially announced as GM by the Angels today. I have no clue either what impact that might have on the Braves but it is to be expected that some poaching will occur since Atlanta is one of the better organizations in MLB once again now.

I am sure that you all already know but Freddie Freeman was named NL MVP:

https://twitter.com/officialBBWAA/st...37490176299010

MLBTR is predicting the Braves sign Brantley (2 years 28 million), Jon Lester (1 year 5 million), Mark Melancon (1 year 4 million).

I have a few issues with their list. They have the Nats signing Ozuna and I have a hard time seeing that. They also have Charlie Morton signing with the Mets for 8 million on a 1 year deal. If Morton leaves Tampa and only signs for 8 million I'll be shocked if the Braves don't pounce on that. Morton to the Braves makes too much sense if he does leave Tampa. Brantley to the Braves does make sense if Ozuna leaves.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ions-2021.html
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple

The Braves have signed Drew Smyly to a 1 year, $11 million dollar deal. Obviously, if they are paying him that money, they intend for him to be the veteran starter to pair with Fried, Soroka, Anderson & Wright. He had a 3.42 ERA & 1.01 WHIP in 7 games (5 starts) with SF last year. Prior to that, though, it had been quite awhile since he had been an effective starter.

I will admit that I am not thrilled about this, as it feels like a big-time overpay for a guy who really wasn't even in MLB 2017 & 2018 and then had 6.24 ERA in 2019 before having a quality season last year in an abbreviated season. I just have big-time doubts about this, as 2020 could easily be an aberration and $11 million for his track record just feels like too much. He's also had long-standing issues giving up homeruns. I really was hoping for a better veteran pitcher to add to the rotation. Do any of you feel different about this? I wouldn't feel good about Smyly getting 30 starts or starting playoff games.

https://twitter.com/680TheFan/status...02840797261824

11 million for Drew Smyly seems like an over pay. MLBTR predicted he would sign for 5 million. For that much money why not take a risk on Kluber or Paxton?

Across the board his stuff looked good last year. Per MLBTR, Smyly posted a 3.45 ERA across 26 1/3 innings in 2020 with 14.4 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9. He finished in the 89th percentile for Whiff% and 97th percentile for K%, per Statcast. His four-seamer also exhibited some out-of-character giddy-up, averaging 93.6 mph, a 2.5 mph jump from the year prior.

Pretty small sample. 11 million is a pretty big leap of faith that he can replicate last years success across a full 162. I would like this signing a lot more if the money was closer to MLBTR's projected 5 million.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Maybe this signals that AA has close to a full wallet to spend from this offseason. That would be a boost over some other clubs.

That said, 11M for Drew seems high. Good news is he isn’t well over 35, so maybe they are betting that he is finally healthy and that is why 2020 was so good...and hopefully not a fluke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest issue is that I was hoping for better than a #4 starter to take some pressure off Anderson in his 1st full MLB season and off Soroka as he returns from a major injury. I was never delusional enough to think that Bauer was an option but I was hoping that somehow the team could sign Charlie Morton to something like a 2 year deal.

Of course, there would be risk with Morton as well, since he's 37 years old now and has never pitched a 200 inning regular season, though Smyly never has either (Smyly threw 175 innings once). Morton's track record over the past few seasons has been quite a bit better than Smyly, as Morton has pitched like a #2 starter and, at times, like a Cy Young candidate. It makes me curious as to what Charlie Morton might be wanting money-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    My biggest issue is that I was hoping for better than a #4 starter to take some pressure off Anderson in his 1st full MLB season and off Soroka as he returns from a major injury. I was never delusional enough to think that Bauer was an option but I was hoping that somehow the team could sign Charlie Morton to something like a 2 year deal.

Of course, there would be risk with Morton as well, since he's 37 years old now and has never pitched a 200 inning regular season, though Smyly never has either (Smyly threw 175 innings once). Morton's track record over the past few seasons has been quite a bit better than Smyly, as Morton has pitched like a #2 starter and, at times, like a Cy Young candidate. It makes me curious as to what Charlie Morton might be wanting money-wise.
    I agree. I really thought Morton was going to be a Brave. Maybe AA found out Morton is going to stay in Tampa? AA did say today that he believes Smyly has one of the best curveballs in the league. If the uptick in velocity is here to stay this might end up being a good move. I think AA deserves the benefit of doubt right now considering his free agent moves so far. I’m alright with the player, just not comfortable with 11 million.

2020 Vikings Draft:

MLB hot stove says Cubs are likely to make some big moves, including trading Bryant and/or Baez. If Ozuna leaves, Bryant could be a candidate to replace him.

https://www.mlb.com/news/hot-stove-t...-robinson-cano
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    MLB hot stove says Cubs are likely to make some big moves, including trading Bryant and/or Baez. If Ozuna leaves, Bryant could be a candidate to replace him.

https://www.mlb.com/news/hot-stove-t...-robinson-cano
    I have been against trading a lot of prospects thus far, as I tend to be protective of Atlanta's prospects in general. However, the Braves within the next year or so are going to get to the point where there simply aren't enough spots for all of the prospects that they have, particularly pitchers. Not sure what type of package it would take or what a Kris Bryant contract would end up looking like.

The Braves claimed infielder Jack Mayfield off waivers from the Astros. Presumably he would compete for a spot on the bench and I suppose would be a backup for Dansby at SS. He put up some pretty decent offensive numbers in the minors but is 30 years old.

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1329862306260512768

2020 Vikings Draft:

Ozuna switched agents, appears to be wanting a contract of 100 million

Ozuna’s unusual agent switch

Agent Melvin Roman had circulated to clubs a 38-page document detailing the accomplishments of his client, outfielder Marcell Ozuna. But even though it was early in the free-agent process, Ozuna was upset he had not yet received any offers, according to a source with knowledge of his thinking.

Roman was anticipating a multi-year proposal from the Braves in December. Some National League teams might have wanted clarity on whether the NL will again use the DH in 2021 before moving on Ozuna. But in a market that is expected to move slowly, Ozuna evidently was not willing to wait.

On Sunday, just three weeks into free agency, CAA Baseball announced the addition of Ozuna as a client. Ozuna’s change comes a mere 18 months after he switched from Scott Boras to Roman. Both CAA and Roman declined comment.

The timing of Ozuna’s latest move is unusual. He didn’t leave Roman after betting on himself last January, agreeing to a one-year, $18 million free-agent contract with the Braves rather than a four-year offer from the Reds worth at least $54 million. And he didn’t make a change during the season, when he could have had time to solidify new representation before becoming a free agent. The question now is whether CAA will try to jump the market to get him a big deal quickly, seemingly in accordance with his wishes.

Ozuna, who will play next season at 30, is the second youngest of the top free-agent position players, after catcher J.T. Realmuto. He led the NL with 18 home runs in the shortened 60-game season, and was third in the majors with a 1.067 OPS. His average exit velocity increased for the fourth straight year, and ranked in the 96th percentile overall.

Roman was marketing Ozuna as a left fielder who started 21 games in the outfield last season and was fully recovered from the shoulder surgery he underwent in October 2018. The agent’s goal seemed to be a $100 million contract, and the final page of his presentation to clubs summarized Ozuna thusly:

• One of the 3 best hitters in baseball in 2020.
    • A great teammate.
    • A player who continues to improve his game.
    • One of the better defensive left fielders in baseball.
    • A player still in his prime.

Baseball agents generally command a 4 to 5 percent commission on their clients’ contracts. Roman conceivably could fight for a portion of CAA’s fee, citing his previous work on behalf of Ozuna. First, though, Ozuna must sign his new deal. Judging from Sunday’s events, it could happen sooner rather than later.
    More info on the Smyly deal:

Why teams valued Smyly over Hand

A fan might reasonably wonder, “How did left-hander Drew Smyly land a one-year, $11 million free-agent deal from the Braves when no team claimed reliever Brad Hand off waivers for $10 million?”

The answer breaks down into two parts. First, the relief market is far deeper than the starter market and will become even more saturated after the Dec. 2 non-tender date produces additional free agents. Second, clubs today do not look solely at traditional performance measures when evaluating players.

Hand’s average fastball velocity over the past three seasons has declined from 93.8 mph to 92.7 to 91.4, and that evidently carried more weight than his 16-for-16 mark in save opportunities and 0.46 ERA in 20 appearances in August and September (Hand did struggle in his one postseason outing against the Yankees).

Smyly, 31, is a year older than Hand. He has been a less durable pitcher. And he threw only 26 1/3 innings last season. But the Braves were intrigued by his 42-to-9 strikeout-to-walk ratio with the Giants, and his increase in average fastball velocity from 91.2 mph in 2019 to 93.8 last season.

Several clubs had multi-year interest in Smyly, but with salaries in the $6 million range, according to a source. The Braves gambled that Smyly’s performance in a 60-game season would translate to 162. And Smyly, like Josh Donaldson, Marcell Ozuna and Cole Hamels before him, bet on himself by agreeing to the Braves’ lucrative one-year offer.
    https://theathletic.com/2216310/2020...ls-more-notes/
    Last edited by vikingsfan0845; 11-23-2020 at 04:08 PM.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Bowman wrote the Braves continue to show strong interest in Charlie Morton. Also wrote that while Ozuna seems to be the better choice, the Braves have shown interest in Bryant.

https://www.mlb.com/news/braves-2021...-marcell-ozuna

2020 Vikings Draft: