Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    OL picks are boring, but extremely necessary. I think it was the collaboration between Flores and Grier. I still don't know who was really running the show come draft time and FA time when Gase was here. I know Tannenbaum made us terrible, and Grier has done a great job cleaning it up.

In hindsight, we had so many high draft picks that it would have been very hard for this draft to be a failure, and with that luxury of having all of those picks, you can take a shot on drafting 3 OL in the first four rounds. A normal draft, that would probably not happen at all.

If the HOU pick gets into the top 5, i say we have to get either Sewell, Chase or Parsons. Top 7? Add Surtain and maybe Waddle. But outside the top 7? I'd say look for a potential trade down and get more picks for next year again. Or even trade the MIA 1st for a 2022 1st. If Grier and Flo truly believe in building through the draft, they should always be looking at the following year's draft capital and trying to increase it any way possible.
    I 100% agree on the farming for future picks now that we have extras. I expect that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    OL picks are boring, but extremely necessary. I think it was the collaboration between Flores and Grier. I still don't know who was really running the show come draft time and FA time when Gase was here. I know Tannenbaum made us terrible, and Grier has done a great job cleaning it up.

In hindsight, we had so many high draft picks that it would have been very hard for this draft to be a failure, and with that luxury of having all of those picks, you can take a shot on drafting 3 OL in the first four rounds. A normal draft, that would probably not happen at all.

If the HOU pick gets into the top 5, i say we have to get either Sewell, Chase or Parsons. Top 7? Add Surtain and maybe Waddle. But outside the top 7? I'd say look for a potential trade down and get more picks for next year again. Or even trade the MIA 1st for a 2022 1st. If Grier and Flo truly believe in building through the draft, they should always be looking at the following year's draft capital and trying to increase it any way possible.
    flores is clearly making the roster decisions from top to bottom.

He started as a scout in New England and wanted to be a general manager one day. He ended up a HC instead.

But he wouldn't of come here unless he had control over the talent.

I remember after our draft this year, he said we liked most of the players we drafted. I knew right away he meant that the 1 player he didn't like was the D end we drafted who fell in the draft, and had character issues and weight issues.

I think we cut that player a few days into camp. Thats when I knew for sure Flores was running the show. Grier just helps him do whatever he needs done.

Welp the Pats decided to **** us and give Houston the win. Houston gets Detroit on a short week so Im sure that pick is about to plummet.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

Dolphins are putting Jesse Davis on the Covid List and he's expected to miss the Jets game. Kindley is also dealing with a foot injury so we might be down a bit this week.

NYJ game is a good game for Hunt to get some more experience and confidence. Losing Davis hurts, as he is not great at anything, but can play almost every position well. Maybe Deiter gets the start at RG? I'd like to see him get another look. I can't wait to get Wilkins back! Having him out vs. DEN really showed up on tape. He may not show up on the stat line, but both him and Davis show up on tape. Need him back strong.

on a side note, I hated seeing Burrow go down like that. Kid was playing amazing for a terrible team. He's legit. Hope he comes back next year strong!

another thing . . . why aren't Gesicki, Sheehan, Smythe and Hollins more incorporated in the scheme? Gesicki hands are pretty damn good, yet he is sometimes a 3rd or 4th option. Isn't TE a young QBs best friend? I'm just sick of seeing Gesicki wasted all the time. it makes me angry as a fan, knowing he is a legit receiving threat, yet used sparingly.

In Gaileys offense the traditional TE role is just nonexistent. You'll only really see guys like Smythe and Shaheen on small creative plays. They're usually the position that he designs to sneak out from the defense.

Geiscki is either one of two things, either Gailey just doesn't know how to use him or he really is drawing tons of attention from the defense. I think its a combo of both. Teams are focusing on him more but Gailey also isn't making him a primary read. Tua clearly hasn't gotten comfortable enough with the "even if theres someone on him hes not covered" idea around Parker and Geiscki. But I also think Gailey just isn't really building things around him.

Even though Geiscki is my favorite player on the team, if someone offered a 2nd for him in the offseason I would make the trade. He just doesn't fit the scheme and I dont think he really works with Tua. Swapping Geiscki for a WR or RB would probably be more beneficial for the offense. It sucks but I think the best thing is to focus on surrounding Tua with weapons that fit what he does well versus asking him to start changing who he's been and asking him to play more like Fitz.

From Adam Beasley

"Behind the scenes, there was concern and frustration among some Dolphins players about how Gailey was slow to react to Denverís dominance at the line of scrimmage. A common complaint: Why didnít the Dolphins open it up sooner when it was clear the offensive line was in for a long day?"

Last week was real rough from everyone offensively, but this was the first game where I really looked at Gaileys play calling and thought it was absolutely terrible. This wasn't the game to suddenly start asking Tua to make 3 or 4 read progressions and get away from moving the pocket. Hes had some situational moments here and there, but this was a game where you saw some terrible route concepts and poorly timed calls. I dont think its quite time to start looking at someone new next year, but some concern.

The herald had a great article.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...247421340.html

Some highlights

Because everything Tagovailoa struggled with against the Broncos is now on tape for opposing NFL defensive coordinators to consider. And that could affect Sundayís game at the New York Jets, but it really goes beyond that to teams such as Las Vegas, Kansas City, Buffalo and others who have better personnel and can more readily take advantage of a developing quarterback.

And now you want to know what are the shortcomings.

Shortcoming No. 1: NFL sources who have watched Tagovailoaís tape believe he doesnít always quickly get through his progression of reads.

Because heís new to the Miami offense, because heís new to the NFL, because heís still familiarizing himself with Dolphins receivers, Tagovailoa is learning the intricacies of getting through his progression of reads.

Heís going through a learning curve.
    Another issues is sometimes Tagovailoa has felt the need to come off his first read because he doesnít believe the receiver is open when, in fact, the receiver probably should get a chance to make a play.

▪ One: Tagovailoa tried to make all the correct reads against the Broncos, but sometimes it took a while. And that valuable time was not always available against a Denver defense that put on a very good pass rush.

▪ Two: Throwing the football to a receiver who seems covered is an individual decision quarterbacks make. Some veterans, such as backup Ryan Fitzpatrick, might see the same picture with the receiver and defensive back as Tagovailoa sees and still throw the football because he believes the receiver will make the play.

Tagovailoa, meanwhile, might decide to hold the football to see if the receiver comes open or take time looking for another receiver.

Either way, this approach requires time and makes the young quarterback vulnerable to a sack.
    Fitzpatrick, by the way, has been stressing to Tagovailoa to more often trust that receivers will make the play even when they seem covered.

ďItís not me playing like Iím scared or anything, itís me trusting what I see,Ē Tagovailoa said. ďIf I donít see the guy open, Iím not going to throw it. Thatís really how itís been in the games and also in practice, too.

ďA big deal with this is I have to take ownership with being disciplined about seeing things for myself, as far as the film and looks that [the defense] gives and whatnot.Ē

Tagovailoa didnít often deal with this situation at Alabama. The Crimson Tide receiver corps when Tagovailoa played there included Calvin Ridley, Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs III, and DeVonta Smith.

Those four college players wouldíve made a great NFL receiver corps and are better than Miamiís receiver corps right now. And they were rarely well covered by college defensive backs, so Tagovailoa could often make a throw to the first receiver he looked for when he played in college.
    Thatís not the case in the NFL, where opposing defensive backs are more talented and his receivers arenít all early-round draft picks.

▪ The fixes: Miamiís receivers have to get open quicker and more consistently.

Then Miamiís pass blocking has to do a better job holding off defenders while Tagovailoa goes from receiver A to B to C in his progression to pick out one to throw to.

To overcome all this and get through the young quarterbackís learning curve, the Dolphins have sometimes been operating by throwing the football to the first read on quick passes.

ďTheyíre doing a lot of things with the [run-pass option and getting the ball out quick,Ē said New York Jets coach Adam Gase.

The thinking is if the receiver wins the short route quickly, Tagovailoaís great accuracy will get him the football and he will not get pummeled by a defender in the process because the ball is out of his hands quickly.

Except thatís not sustainable.

Because, according to the league sources, some defensive coaches are now aware of this. So theyíre going to try to counter it.

The Broncos, for example, wanted to make Tagovailoa either throw quickly and short or try to find his second or third receiver options.

So the Broncos tried to take away DeVante Parker.

They made Tagovailoa throw to Parker short or find someone else.

The result was clear to everyone with eyes as Tagovailoa completed three passes to Parker for only 18 yards. And when he held the football looking for Parker to get through a deeper route or looking for other receivers in the progression, the Denver rush got to the young quarterback for those sacks.

It was a different story with Fitzpatrick in the game. He also completed three passes to Parker, but the gain was 43 yards. Fitzpatrick, in other words, found time by moving around in the pocket or threw it to Parker even when he was closely covered.

(It must be said, even this approach can be dangerous as Fitzpatrick threw an interception on Miamiís final offensive play when he forced a desperation pass to Parker.)

All of this is what will determine whether Flores finds himself needing to turn to Fitzpatrick again.

All of that is why we need to absolutely sell out to fix the offense like we did with the defense last year. 2 WRs, 3 Olineman, and a RB are absolutely neccessary. And I'm really warming up to the idea of trading Geiscki and drafting Kyle Pitts in the 1st.

You need a run game to help open things up for this offense and make teams focus on the RPO more. Then you need more WRs who can actually separate instead of forcing Tua to change what made him great at Alabama.
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 11-26-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Draft
    1.Jaylen Waddle -DeVonta Smith - Ja'Marr Chase
    2.DeVonta Smith or 1 of the other ^
    3.Alex Leatherwood- Trey Smith-Jalen Mayfield
    4.Travis Etienne-Najee Harris- Kyle Pitts-Christian Barmore

WR should be first and if you can get one of the next two on my list thet should do it if no other WR's you are not blown away by than the Olineman.

Getting tua a few weapons that he's used to would be good.

Welp it was fun while it lasted, but that Texans pick ain't going to be top 5 now. Of course the year the Texans suck half the league decides to lose all of their games.

They still play the Colts twice and the Texans at the end of the season, but they've got one against the Bears and one against the Bengals. So more than likely 6-10 and hopefully around 8 or 9 at worst. Still good, just not a pick where you have your choice of top prospects.

I fully this to look like the Raiders positioning last year. Something like 13 and 19. Let's just hope everyone ignores WR like they did last year and our rebuild goes as well as the Raiders.
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 11-26-2020 at 04:33 PM.

I think deep down all of us knew the Texans were better than their record. We just have to hope they lose their 3 games to the Colts and the Titans and maybe have the Bears defense play well enough to get another loss. 5 or 6 wins from the Texans will still land us a shot at a top WR.

Thankfully this draft is stacked at WR. I think Chase and Waddle are on a different tier, and it would suck to miss on both, but Smith, Moore and Bateman are all studs in their own right. You can also make the argument that Pitts is the 2nd best receiving weapon in this draft. Get any of those names and Im ok. And of course there's plenty of day 2 WRs that would be great.

Smith was my favorite player in the draft before the year and I'd be in love if we got him. If the dude just had 20 more pounds on him he'd be a top 10 pick easily.

After this game the Texans pick has fallen to #11. Currently out of the 10 teams ahead of them, I'm really only worried of Detroit and maybe NYG picking a WR in the top 10. But of course you have teams like NE, CHI and PHI that could jump the Texans pick. Edit: and unfortunately with Washington winning, Philly jumps up to #9. Thats a team in desperate need of a WR too.
    Last edited by KodytheKing; 11-26-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Pretty crappy luck for us with Detroit missing 2 of their top offensive weapons yesterday vs Houston. The New England came they snuck out w/o Tunsil is really the only game, I'd say, they won when they probably shouldn't have. So it's been pretty much expected so far with a 4-7 record. It's looking like a 7-9 record, with an outside shot at 6-10 will be a realistic and best case scenario for us. As someone mentioned above we could be on pace for what Oakland had last year with picks around 13 and 19. Not bad for a draft with maybe 3 or 4 QBs going top 15 pushing WRs down to us with our first pick. I was praying for a pick in the 5-9 range in case there was an option to trade down with a QB needy team. I don't see too much of a drop off in WR talent after Chase, Waddle, and D Smith.
    This front office can't fail Tua by not getting him weapons and help on offense early in his rookie deal. LE Batard had a good radio segment on what WRs would you take over Parker - there was a lot. Also hit on the subject of the drop off in talent from our #1 to our current #2 in Grant. Heck, even with Williams as our #2 he hasn't been reliable. So combine that with 3 rookies on the o-line getting a ton of reps and we have a lot of work to do on offense. I'm still excited for what the future brings with this roster and and draft capital to continue to improve our team. We have our GM, Head Coach, and Franchsie QB!!

A short list of players who intrigue me with our 1st roudners are..
    Chase - WR LSU, Waddle - WR Ala, D Smith - WR Ala, M Parsons - LB PSU, G Rousseau - Edge The U, Owusu-Koramoah - LB ND jersey #6, W. Davis - OG Ohio St, C Surratt - LB UNC, C Humphrey - C Okla
    Last edited by poppapuh86; 11-27-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast