Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If by some dumb chance we get the first pick do you draft Lawrence and let Dak walk or trade the pick for multiple draft picks?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Jerry mentioned that his eyes will be wide open in terms of adding players. Do you see anyone in particular he'd be interested in?
    Earl Thomas maybe? Cooper Rush? Pickings are pretty slim. Thereís no one out there thatís going to come in and change things for this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Earl Thomas maybe? Cooper Rush? Pickings are pretty slim. Thereís no one out there thatís going to come in and change things for this team.

The Cowboys have 9 drafts picks to work with in 2021. A 1st round, a 2nd rounder, two 3rd rounders, etc. They have a lot of holes to fill. I imagine the offensive line and the defense will be high priority.

The Cowboys have 9 drafts picks to work with in 2021. A 1st round, a 2nd rounder, two 3rd rounders, etc. They have a lot of holes to fill. I imagine the offensive line and the defense will be high priority.
    They should have a couple of comp picks too. They should get at least a 4th for Byron Jones and a 5th for Robert Quinn. If it were up to me the Cowboys would be sellers at the trade deadline. Cooper, Aldon Smith, Jaylon, LVE, and Zack Martin would all be on the block. Zeke and DLaw too but they would be harder to trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    They should have a couple of comp picks too. They should get at least a 4th for Byron Jones and a 5th for Robert Quinn. If it were up to me the Cowboys would be sellers at the trade deadline. Cooper, Aldon Smith, Jaylon, LVE, and Zack Martin would all be on the block. Zeke and DLaw too but they would be harder to trade.

It should be a fire sale, though, I don't know how patient Jerry is. The way he's talking in interviews indicates that he wants to win now. The Cowboys also have 24.6 million in cap space for 2021. It will be interesting to see where he decides to invest it.

Just watched the Cardinals beat the Seahwaks in overtime. They seem to have turned around that organization pretty quickly after selecting Kyler. They already have as many wins now as they had all year last year.

Look at the NFC West:

Seahawks 5-1
    Cardinals 5-2
    Rams 4-2
    49ers 4-3

It should be a fire sale, though, I don't know how patient Jerry is. The way he's talking in interviews indicates that he wants to win now. The Cowboys also have 24.6 million in cap space for 2021. It will be interesting to see where he decides to invest it.

Just watched the Cardinals beat the Seahwaks in overtime. They seem to have turned around that organization pretty quickly after selecting Kyler. They already have as many wins now as they had all year last year.
    Thats all going to Dak if they dont take a QB with their first round pick. Franchise tag is 37 million. There is no making this team better in free agency next year if the Cowboys decide to play it forward with Dak, which I am fine with. But then they have to trade down from their spot in the first round and get additional picks next year because this ain't a one year fix in the draft, free agency or both combined.

Look at the NFC West:

Seahawks 5-1
    Cardinals 5-2
    Rams 4-2
    49ers 4-3
    Whats interesting is that 49ers situation. They could cut JG and save 24 million especially if they miss the playoffs. But then they need a QB and with the cap going down, if its at 175 they would have about 37million in cap space with that move. Daks tag is 37 million.

Cowboys tag and trade Dak to the 9ers for Jimmy G and their first rounder in the late teens and then cut jimmy G? Use jimmy G for a year at 26 million while your team of rookies is trying to get better, so you save your rookie QB from taking a beating?

Then assuming there is at least more fans in seats next year than now, if not back to normal and the cap goes back up for 2022....release Jimmy G and save the same 24 million. Just looking at free agency class Honey Badger would be 30 then and Gilmore (CB) would be 31. If you still need both positions to be filled theres two options for a team that should be in ALL-IN mode at that time with their QB that makes no money.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken McNugz View Post
    Thats all going to Dak if they dont take a QB with their first round pick. Franchise tag is 37 million. There is no making this team better in free agency next year if the Cowboys decide to play it forward with Dak, which I am fine with. But then they have to trade down from their spot in the first round and get additional picks next year because this ain't a one year fix in the draft, free agency or both combined.
    From what I read, the Cowboys are one of the more strapped teams as far as the cap. Stephen Jones and Dak's agent seem to be at a stalemate. They float really high numbers in the press, but no one can be sure what that exact figure is.

Whats interesting is that 49ers situation. They could cut JG and save 24 million especially if they miss the playoffs. But then they need a QB and with the cap going down, if its at 175 they would have about 37million in cap space with that move. Daks tag is 37 million.

Cowboys tag and trade Dak to the 9ers for Jimmy G and their first rounder in the late teens and then cut jimmy G? Use jimmy G for a year at 26 million while your team of rookies is trying to get better, so you save your rookie QB from taking a beating?

Then assuming there is at least more fans in seats next year than now, if not back to normal and the cap goes back up for 2022....release Jimmy G and save the same 24 million. Just looking at free agency class Honey Badger would be 30 then and Gilmore (CB) would be 31. If you still need both positions to be filled theres two options for a team that should be in ALL-IN mode at that time with their QB that makes no money.
    Jerry seems to like to keep his homegrown QBs, so he'll probably try to work it out with Dak, unless they are way too far apart. Most likely, he'll try to tag him again and see how Dak is for another season. Things only change if the Cowboys get that number 1 pick and Trevor Lawrence is a possiblity, but that's really not very likely since there are so many bad teams ahead of the Cowboys. The Cowboys would have the #8 pick if the draft were right now. The Jets would have to start winning.

Jerry seems to like to keep his homegrown QBs, so he'll probably try to work it out with Dak, unless they are way too far apart. Most likely, he'll try to tag him again and see how Dak is for another season. Things only change if the Cowboys get that number 1 pick and Trevor Lawrence is a possiblity, but that's really not very likely since there are so many bad teams ahead of the Cowboys. The Cowboys would have the #8 pick if the draft were right now. The Jets would have to start winning.
    True but I dont see us winning another game so none are the other teams? I can see atlanta winning two, somewhere. I can see SD finding a couple more. Jax can beat Houston, maybe somone else. Cincy will beat us and own the tie breaker thus placing us higher in the draft than them.

Giants can easily beat this roster even with Martin back and Knight come week 17.

I would say your same logic about Lawrence applies to Fields too. The goal for the fans should be top two picks, maybe top 3 if SD finishes 2nd since they would likely take Parsons if they cant trade back there. depending on the order behind us. WAS could trade up to there, JAX would definately love to trade up to there. Even if Fields ceiling is Dak before this season started you still do it with this WR group we have. By 2023 if McClay really is good at drafting in the top 100 picks you should have 9 players, 8 if ones a QB that are contributors to your top 2 and for sure your top 35 or so.

Again I like Dak I would pay him because this team clearly needs him besides the throwing of the ball aspect but there are other ways to build a team and it would be the most Cowboy think and Jerry thing to have a 2-14 season after your MVP level (not saying he was going to win it) and record pace setting QB goes down.Ffor you to end up with a top two pick while your franchise QB isnt under a long term deal and once again the spotlight is on Jerrys cowboys which is what he really cares about.

From what I read, the Cowboys are one of the more strapped teams as far as the cap. Stephen Jones and Dak's agent seem to be at a stalemate. They float really high numbers in the press, but no one can be sure what that exact figure is.
    Thats why they restructured those players contracts and didnt go sign Earl Thomas because the cap space from this year rolls over to next year because of Covid even when the overall cap goes down. As in its a one year get out of jail free to go over the cap if the money came from the previous year. If it rolls off the books after the season and you are over the cap well you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by lbz88 View Post
    If by some dumb chance we get the first pick do you draft Lawrence and let Dak walk or trade the pick for multiple draft picks?
    My heart would say keep Dak but thatís because I do think heís a good QB, has great heart and a great leader for the team. Do I think he is the type of QB to get a Super Bowl. I donít know that. My gut says if they somehow got the #1 pick and Trevor Lawrence is available I would have to seriously consider taking him.

Now this team is way off from 1 Trevor Lawrence from any real winning a super bowl but damn I think Trevor is gonna be good.

On another note, I donít really like Mcarthy a whole lot but I did like what he said questioning the reaction to Andy Dalton getting his head knocked off and yet nobody seemed to do anything about it. I was listening to sports radio this morning and ex players were smashing the cowboys players for doing nothing about that dirty hit. Somebody should have atleast done something, and instead they were just punked out. Says everything about this team right now.

True but I dont see us winning another game so none are the other teams? I can see atlanta winning two, somewhere. I can see SD finding a couple more. Jax can beat Houston, maybe somone else. Cincy will beat us and own the tie breaker thus placing us higher in the draft than them.

Giants can easily beat this roster even with Martin back and Knight come week 17.

I would say your same logic about Lawrence applies to Fields too. The goal for the fans should be top two picks, maybe top 3 if SD finishes 2nd since they would likely take Parsons if they cant trade back there. depending on the order behind us. WAS could trade up to there, JAX would definately love to trade up to there. Even if Fields ceiling is Dak before this season started you still do it with this WR group we have. By 2023 if McClay really is good at drafting in the top 100 picks you should have 9 players, 8 if ones a QB that are contributors to your top 2 and for sure your top 35 or so.

Again I like Dak I would pay him because this team clearly needs him besides the throwing of the ball aspect but there are other ways to build a team and it would be the most Cowboy think and Jerry thing to have a 2-14 season after your MVP level (not saying he was going to win it) and record pace setting QB goes down.Ffor you to end up with a top two pick while your franchise QB isnt under a long term deal and once again the spotlight is on Jerrys cowboys which is what he really cares about.
    Jerry's never seen to have the patience for a proper tank. He usually just wants to win now and he likes the sexier move. He was talked out of selecting Johnny Manziel.

Thats why they restructured those players contracts and didnt go sign Earl Thomas because the cap space from this year rolls over to next year because of Covid even when the overall cap goes down. As in its a one year get out of jail free to go over the cap if the money came from the previous year. If it rolls off the books after the season and you are over the cap well you lose it.
    Stephen Jones is more of the person conservative on the money. Jerry used to go all out to pay for the guys he wants. Stephen seems to have been set on a number he thinks Dak is worth and the two sides were reportedly far apart on it....it became heated. They'll probably try to work it out again and even tag him if the deadline is close. Jerry doesn't like the idea of his homegrown players getting out of the building.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast