Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Official Houston Rockets & OKC Thunder Coaching Search Thread

The 2 remaining head coaching vacancies in the league.

With DíAntoni and Morey outta Houston and Billy Donovan bolting outta OKC for Chi-town, who do you think gets those 2 open spots ?!

Discuss!

Not paying attention to OKC, but Houston is allegedly down to JVG, Silas and Lucas. Windhorst seems to be suggesting JVG may be out because Morey is out, but Woj has stated JVG is very much still in play and is likely in the lead.

I don't know who I believe (but I'd definitely take Woj's word over Windhorst), but if JVG is the guy, then the only thing I can think of is that negotiations are going on behind the scenes, and both sides aren't quite there yet. Given Tilman's history of lowballing, that wouldn't surprise me.

I question how JVG's offense would look in a modern NBA, but I was a fan of him previously in his time in Houston, he's a damn good defensive mind and has the right temperament to lead superstars like Harden and Westbrook. Personally, I'd rank them:

1. Silas
    2. JVG
    3. Lucas

If Lucas gets the gig, it's because: (A) Harden got his dude promoted, and Tilman is giving into his star player; (B) Tilman wanted to go the cheapest route; or (C) Both. I like Lucas, and he's a solid assistant coachóthat's a job he's well-suited for moving forward.

How about Maurice Cheeks as coach for the Rockets

With their current roster it would be interesting for the Rockets to go a couple hours down the road and talk to Shaka Smart. He loves the pace and he coaches defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    How about Maurice Cheeks as coach for the Rockets
    I'll pass. I like. Mo, but the dude hasn't been a head coach in six years and hasn't coached a team for more than a small stretch since 2009. Plus he has zero playoff series wins as a head coach. JVG has been out the game a while, but at least he's a Houston guy, loves the city and has a long history of coaching winning teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    With their current roster it would be interesting for the Rockets to go a couple hours down the road and talk to Shaka Smart. He loves the pace and he coaches defense.
    As a UT grad, I can't say I've been super impressed with the job he's done at Texas thus far. I like Shaka, but UT's offense has been ghastly since he's taken over. If I wanted a defensive-minded guy, I'd rather have JVG.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'll pass. I like. Mo, but the dude hasn't been a head coach in six years and hasn't coached a team for more than a small stretch since 2009. Plus he has zero playoff series wins as a head coach. JVG has been out the game a while, but at least he's a Houston guy, loves the city and has a long history of coaching winning teams.

As a UT grad, I can't say I've been super impressed with the job he's done at Texas thus far. I like Shaka, but UT's offense has been ghastly since he's taken over. If I wanted a defensive-minded guy, I'd rather have JVG.
    History of winning?

What has he done since 99 finals with the Knicks ?

I feel Brian Shaw needs another shot.

Earl Watson also did a good job tapping into Bookers potential.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVar Ball View Post
    History of winning?

What has he done since 99 finals with the Knicks ?
    Overachieve given talent. Hes kept up with the evolution of the game IMO, great choice but wat about Kenny, nobdodies really gonna give him any credit for turning Brooklyn around.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Overachieve given talent. Hes kept up with the evolution of the game IMO, great choice but wat about Kenny, nobdodies really gonna give him any credit for turning Brooklyn around.
    Atkinson was among my top choices. But he wasn't one of the finalists, supposedly, after the first round of interviews

A Rockets fan buddy friend of mine said that they have said they are in no rush to hire a coach because they don't have draft picks. That seems bizarre considering they need to know as soon as possible what changes they need to make to the roster and what kind of players the new coach wants. There are players on the Rockets roster who would certainly warrant draft picks in return in trade.

Seems like that team is going from one of the better run teams to ... not.

Or my other top 5 picks for coach for the Rockets

5- Kenny Atkinson
    4- Nate McMillan
    3- Jerry Stackhouse
    2- Chris Finch
    1- Sam Cassell

My picks for the Thunder coaching job

5- Stephen Silas
    4- Sam Cassell
    3- Chris Finch
    2- Jeff Van Gundy
    1- Kenny Atkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    In your opinion ?

How has he kept up?

Just by announcing games?

It takes a lot to actually implement those new things in this generation of b-ball.

When you havenít Actually coached In over 20 years, and you havenít been hired during that whole time, something is to be said for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    A Rockets fan buddy friend of mine said that they have said they are in no rush to hire a coach because they don't have draft picks. That seems bizarre considering they need to know as soon as possible what changes they need to make to the roster and what kind of players the new coach wants. There are players on the Rockets roster who would certainly warrant draft picks in return in trade.

Seems like that team is going from one of the better run teams to ... not.
    Yeah, thatís the Fertitta business model.