Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,916

    Best Arguement AGAINST Your Beliefs

    What do you believe is the best argument against your belief system?

    For Christians, I would say atheism is the best argument. If Christ didn't truly exist or claim to be who He was... then I think I would be an atheist. Nothing else makes any sense except maybe Judaism, but even that points to a Messiah figure that Jesus pretty well fits.
    "But yeah...this is the BLM era and the Dems are running a mass incarceration ticket." ManRam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Flock of Sheep No.97 near BAAA BAA lane
    Posts
    12,690
    You do know that the faithful have no doubts about the existence of God or Christ so there is no argument that would be the best or worst against one's belief in them. How does one prove or disapprove of God's or even Jesus Christ's existence? If you are able to do that, it would settle a lot of disagreement.
    Last edited by WES445; 10-25-2020 at 01:03 AM.
    WE STILL KNOW WHERE THE PITCHFORKS ARE:Beau of the Fifth Column, you tube.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    14,007
    I would say that in most cases the best argument is the existence of other religions.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    35,133
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I would say that in most cases the best argument is the existence of other religions.
    In my religion we see it a little different. It says that all people had messengers sent to them, some with books but most without. It says over 100,000 messengers have been sent. So these would all be religions all with same basic fundamental concepts. To us the existence of other religions only solidifies the fact that god is universal.

    We believe our religion to be the most accurate, but that doesnt mean we are right and other religions are wrong. Look at all the similar fundamental concepts. There is a lot of truth found in different books. And even our own book which we consider to be the most accurate can be used to push agendas and falsehoods.

    How an individual approaches their religion can play a bigger role in a person's connection with god than which specific religion they are following.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    36,266
    The biggest argument against Atheism is that because they cannot definitively prove the negative (that God doesnít exist), there is always the possibility that one does.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    35,133
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The biggest argument against Atheism is that because they cannot definitively prove the negative (that God doesnít exist), there is always the possibility that one does.
    I'd say the biggest argument against atheism is they try to use physical science to understand philosophical thought.

    Stupid approach.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    36,266
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I'd say the biggest argument against atheism is they try to use physical science to understand philosophical thought.

    Stupid approach.
    No, we understand the philosophical thought perfectly, we just donít take it literally. The physical science is for those that do...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    35,133
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    No, we understand the philosophical thought perfectly, we just donít take it literally. The physical science is for those that do...
    Exactly what makes the approach stupid.

    You think 2000 years ago they thought a human could scientifically come from the rib of a single man? OBVIOUSLY there is more to it than being a book of literal physical science, this is evident. But you somehow gloss over this...

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    36,266
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Exactly what makes the approach stupid.

    You think 2000 years ago they thought a human could scientifically come from the rib of a single man?OBVIOUSLY there is more to it than being a book of literal physical science, this is evident. But you somehow gloss over this...
    First Bolded: No, I do not. But some religious people today do think that.

    Second Bolded: There is a great deal more to it than a book about physical science, thatís why I do not treat it as a book of physical science, and in doing so I appreciate the message, metaphors, and allegories within.

    I am not glossing over that part, to the contrary, I focus on it. My only problem is with those who donít focus on the more of the book than the physical science in favor of the physical science.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    35,133
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    First Bolded: No, I do not. But some religious people today do think that.

    Second Bolded: There is a great deal more to it than a book about physical science, thatís why I do not treat it as a book of physical science, and in doing so I appreciate the message, metaphors, and allegories within.

    I am not glossing over that part, to the contrary, I focus on it. My only problem is with those who donít focus on the more of the book than the physical science in favor of the physical science.
    Ok, fair.

    I also oppose people who try and sell it as such.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,097
    I would say that the biggest argument ó though not necessarily one I believe to be the best ó against my agnosticism lies in the sheer number of people who do believe in a god of sorts. And then I consider those who, like me, do not yet or did not believe, and I gain even further confidence in my position.

    As for the best argument, Iím still working on it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,508
    At the risk of sounding like a prick, atheism isn't a belief. It's the lack of a belief.

    However, many people do feel atheism is the belief that there is no God so for the purpose of this thread we'll use that one instead of ths one I'm more comfortable with, which is the rejection of the claim that there is a God.

    How can I prove that there is no God?

    Bam! Best argument!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    28,076
    Well I say I'm an atheist but I'm really an apathetic agnostic.

    I don't believe in God, but since I can't 100 percent prove it doesn't exist, I won't get into that with people.


    Apathetic agnosticism*(also called pragmatic agnosticism) is the view that thousands of years of debate has neither proven, nor dis-proven, the existence of one or more deities (gods). This view concludes that even if one or more deities exist, they do not appear to be concerned about the fate of humans. Therefore, their existence has little impact on personal human affairs and should be of little theological interest.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,508
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Well I say I'm an atheist but I'm really an apathetic agnostic.

    I don't believe in God, but since I can't 100 percent prove it doesn't exist, I won't get into that with people.


    Apathetic agnosticism*(also called pragmatic agnosticism) is the view that thousands of years of debate has neither proven, nor dis-proven, the existence of one or more deities (gods). This view concludes that even if one or more deities exist, they do not appear to be concerned about the fate of humans. Therefore, their existence has little impact on personal human affairs and should be of little theological interest.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Apathetic agnosticism!!!! I love it!!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    35,133
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a prick, atheism isn't a belief. It's the lack of a belief.

    However, many people do feel atheism is the belief that there is no God so for the purpose of this thread we'll use that one instead of ths one I'm more comfortable with, which is the rejection of the claim that there is a God.

    How can I prove that there is no God?

    Bam! Best argument!
    lol, that's a horrible argument!

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •