Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

In DEfense Of Andrew Thomas

When he was drafted, the plan was to start him at RT , not LT . No one knew at the time that Nate Solder was going to opt out and that Thomas would be forced to start his career at LT.

My angst is the play of Wil Hernandez who seems to have regressed as a guard. Kevin Zeitler has been just OK not very good but just OK.

Ok that's fair.

But in defense of his criticism, he was rated by most draft experts (take that for what it's worth) as having less upside and thus less value than Willis, Becton and Wirfs. The one thing he had going for him was that he was supposedly the most NFL ready LT coming out of the batch.

He really needs to get better. Your point's well taken though - line play is a group effort and they all need to gel and be better. They certainly looked better as a group with Peart at LT than with Thomas.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    When he was drafted, the plan was to start him at RT , not LT . No one knew at the time that Nate Solder was going to opt out and that Thomas would be forced to start his career at LT.

My angst is the play of Wil Hernandez who seems to have regressed as a guard. Kevin Zeitler has been just OK not very good but just OK.
    Also, hes a rookie not even halfway through this rookie season, without a pre-season. When I first joined the forum, GGGG always said he judges draft picks after 3 years. That always seemed fair to me, so well see then

That's honestly lame. He was thought to be a day 1 LT starter and the guy with the highest floor out of a solid class of Ts.

I disliked the pick at the time because IMO he was not the best T, not by far. I'm not saying that we should give up on the kid, but floor was his biggest strength coming into the league, and it turns out his floor is much lower than people actually thought, so I'm not optimistic he will be anything more than maybe decent. Which, honestly, would be a very poor return for a top 5 pick.

He was supposed to be the LT and Solder was supposed to move to RT because Solder couldn't play LT anymore. That's the ONLY reason we took him over CLEARLY BETTER OPTIONS.

The defense of Thomas is, Gettleman doesn't know how to be a GM and he was doomed the minute Gettleman picked him

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    That's honestly lame. He was thought to be a day 1 LT starter and the guy with the highest floor out of a solid class of Ts.

I disliked the pick at the time because IMO he was not the best T, not by far. I'm not saying that we should give up on the kid, but floor was his biggest strength coming into the league, and it turns out his floor is much lower than people actually thought, so I'm not optimistic he will be anything more than maybe decent. Which, honestly, would be a very poor return for a top 5 pick.
    This. When you pass up on talent and upside at the 4 pick in exchange for "NFL ready" you better see great results very quickly. The concerns with Thomas going into the draft were about his lack of flexibility and propensity to get beat by quick outside rushers because he relies too much on power. And that's exactly what we're seeing. Every DE he faces is just exploding around him and he gets spun around like a toy with no shot.

Yes it's very early in his career, and it's not like Hernandez is doing a great job of anchoring him on the inside. But the guy is getting beat on every single edge rush and that has to send off serious alarms.

Meanwhile Willis, who I really wanted and was rated by many to be the best of the batch, is doing just fine at LT. Remember the knock on him was he played RT in Alabama and not LT (even though it was Tua's blind side)?

Yes it's very early but early returns were supposed to favor Thomas over the rest and he's been, by far, the worst in the class.

Don't worry. He's got this.