Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tua named starting QB

WOW! I don't like the move right now. Fitz hasn't played terrible. but maybe the whole intention was to name Tua the starter after the bye week no matter when it was this season.

Makes sense he gets a extra week to prepare.

I dunno if I would of wanted to start him with Donald on the other side though.

Feel bad for fitz tbh, but excited to see tua.

Fitzpatrick benched, Tua now the starting QB.

Just confirmed by everyone. Flo said "it was just time".

Really makes me think that the plan all along was to do it during the bye. Absolutely crazy that they're doing this after Fitz has two absolute blowouts, but he has left plays on the field.

Welcome Back Sweet Prince

I have my concerns.

1. how will the rest of the team feel about Tua taking over after Fitz has performed pretty damn good?
    2. We now have two rookies (Kindley and Hunt) protecting Tua's blind side. Is Hunt really ready?
    3. Will this be another 'Josh Rosen' moment where if Tua stinks against LAR and they put Fitz back in?

I'm very interested and excited, but also I don't think Fitz has really played bad enough to put Tua in right now. But I bet Flores keeps playing that SEA game in his mind and looking at all the effin FGs they had to settle for, and it probably made his choice for him. they could potentially be 4-2, tied for 1st in the AFCE, heading into the bye IF there was just one TD scored instead of a FG in that game. But after the bye they get three straight winnable games right out of the gate, so maybe it does make sense . . . i still don't like it personally though . . .not yet

Fitz hasn't played bad at all. Hes played as good as I would have expected. But I'm sure the coaches see how many plays he's leaving on the field as well. I mean there's no excuse to not convert a single 3rd down against the Jets. Theres room to improve, but I'm also not expecting him to do that immediately. I just hope Fitz had a heads up and was blindsided by this.

I'm absolutely terrified of Aaron Donald playing against this oline, but the pass protection has been fine this year. Plus you get two weeks to game plan against him. The staff clearly is comfortable with the injuries so he's going to get at some point.

This just screams to me that Flo saw enough from Tua to set the plan for them to make the switch at the bye. He was probably expecting that week 11 bye, but was still ok with the plan to stick with it now. Tua getting reps is more important than going 9-7 and getting demolished by the Ravens or Steelers in the playoffs.

This is a gamble move but I think he had to ask himself 1 question. Can I make the playoffs with Ryan Fitzgerald as QB. If the answer was no then Tua makes sense.

I think it was just time. The bye week is a perfect time for him to get fully acclimated.

Our rookies and 2nd year guys are all showing improvement and overall playing solid football

And tua Isnt some developmental qb who needs a ton of time. Dude loves football and has been bred for this moment. As long as hes healthy which clearly he is, hes ready.

Burrow and herbert are playing well, and Tua was way better than both of them, in college at least.

Griers plan has worked almost perfectly since we brought in flores, everything has worked as well as you could of asked for.

Not to mention we still have the texans 1st and 2nd rnd picks next year. So we still have a huge influx of talent incoming.

We havent even seen our defense with a fully healthy byron jones and howard yet, with a quickly improving iggy.

It seems weird on the surface but it makes a lot of sense as well.

Even if Miami squeezes into the playoffs with Fitz, they are not beating the Ravens or Steelers or Chiefs (and probably not the Titans and probably not Buffalo either)... Grooming your future qb with actual meaningful games is a good idea to see what they have.

The fact Miami has a bunch of draft capital and some steadily improving pieces all over the roster, they could really turn things around over the next couple seasons.

I haven't heard much from their rookies on their last draft. I know Iggy has been playing and holding his own. How is Jackson doing? How is Hunt doing? I remember not liking the hunt pick because there was a host of good RB and other players who dropped from Rd one but hopefully he's doing well. I know our oline has sure been better than previous years.... That's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    It seems weird on the surface but it makes a lot of sense as well.

Even if Miami squeezes into the playoffs with Fitz, they are not beating the Ravens or Steelers or Chiefs (and probably not the Titans and probably not Buffalo either)... Grooming your future qb with actual meaningful games is a good idea to see what they have.

The fact Miami has a bunch of draft capital and some steadily improving pieces all over the roster, they could really turn things around over the next couple seasons.

I haven't heard much from their rookies on their last draft. I know Iggy has been playing and holding his own. How is Jackson doing? How is Hunt doing? I remember not liking the hunt pick because there was a host of good RB and other players who dropped from Rd one but hopefully he's doing well. I know our oline has sure been better than previous years.... That's for sure.
    Iggy has had his problems. His athleticism isn't saving him from giving up plays right now. He just needs to learn the position more. Kindley is destroying it! Hunt is holding his own since starting at RT a couple weeks back. He will only get better. Jackson was doing really well at LT until getting hurt.

Next year's draft will be interesting. We're no longer looking at two top 10 picks. the way Miami is playing, our own pick could be in the teens. I have been watching every Houston game this year on Sunday Ticket. Watson is amazing, but his defense sucks. The HOU pick will for sure be top 10. right now, I'm hoping for a Micah Parsons/Creed Humphrey 1st rd.

Quote Originally Posted by CeltBruinSoxFan View Post
    Iggy has had his problems. His athleticism isn't saving him from giving up plays right now. He just needs to learn the position more. Kindley is destroying it! Hunt is holding his own since starting at RT a couple weeks back. He will only get better. Jackson was doing really well at LT until getting hurt.

Next year's draft will be interesting. We're no longer looking at two top 10 picks. the way Miami is playing, our own pick could be in the teens. I have been watching every Houston game this year on Sunday Ticket. Watson is amazing, but his defense sucks. The HOU pick will for sure be top 10. right now, I'm hoping for a Micah Parsons/Creed Humphrey 1st rd.
    Thanks for the insight, seems like we might have found some cornerstones to build up the oline. If Tua turns out to be the real deal, we will be in seriously good shape moving forward. Howard and Jones have looked great together as well (Howard having a great year, Jones been hurt so hard to tell).

Kyle Crabbs has made a great point about this staffs overall mindset. The constant feeling this year has been "Just good isn't good enough". You tried to sign Bell because you feel like even though your run game is fine, you want better. Even though you just pitched a shut out, Boyer is still looking for ways to get better. So even though the offense is 14th in points per game, we're also towards the bottom of the league in 3rd down conversions and red zone offense.

Fitz has been good, and I know ESPN made a big deal about him covering up some issues on the offense. But the fact of the matter is that he has left plenty of plays out there.

Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    Kyle Crabbs has made a great point about this staffs overall mindset. The constant feeling this year has been "Just good isn't good enough". You tried to sign Bell because you feel like even though your run game is fine, you want better. Even though you just pitched a shut out, Boyer is still looking for ways to get better. So even though the offense is 14th in points per game, we're also towards the bottom of the league in 3rd down conversions and red zone offense.

Fitz has been good, and I know ESPN made a big deal about him covering up some issues on the offense. But the fact of the matter is that he has left plenty of plays out there.
    Fitz will play whoever he thinks is best suited to help us win.

We put more resources into Jordan Howard and Breida but Gaskins the 7th round pick is getting all the playtime.

The media is trying to make this into some big issue, but fact is, Flores has always been honest about playing to win and playing whoever earns it.

I think the reason tua is starting, is they believe he's ready, and has more upside.

Another under talked about storyline is Tua will go against both burrow and Herbert which will be fun. Look at the QBs tua has to go head to head with the rest of the season, they would not start tua against those guys if they didn't believe he was better fit for it than Fitz.

They screwed up. Obviously I hope Tua goes in and plays great and it's all forgotten in two weeks but the timing of it all was so stupid. This is the most pressure situation they could possibly throw him in and if he doesn't win right away against a good team that we probably shouldn't even beat, he's gonna get **** for it.

They should have at least started Fitz another week or two. If he wins keep him in there for the easier part of the schedule. Tua does not have to play this season.

And don't get me wrong, Fitz has looked pretty bad at times this year but you can't take him out when morale is the highest it's been in years.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    They screwed up. Obviously I hope Tua goes in and plays great and it's all forgotten in two weeks but the timing of it all was so stupid. This is the most pressure situation they could possibly throw him in and if he doesn't win right away against a good team that we probably shouldn't even beat, he's gonna get **** for it.

They should have at least started Fitz another week or two. If he wins keep him in there for the easier part of the schedule. Tua does not have to play this season.

And don't get me wrong, Fitz has looked pretty bad at times this year but you can't take him out when morale is the highest it's been in years.

Lmao, You think tua is scared of pressure?

Dude stepped in over Hurts the starter, during the national championship game as a freshman, down 10, and won the game.

You act like tua is just another young rookie qb. this dude has been bred for this his whole life, he's a football player to the bone. before his injury, he was easily the #1 pick in the draft. Putting up all time great college stats, while not even playing in the 2nd half of any games because they were all blowouts.

Tua is ready for this, he may make a few rookie mistakes, but he's ready.

when we lost to sea, ne, and buf, Fitz was the problem, he just wasnt good enough. And to make playoffs, we need to win some of those kinds of games. Its tua time!

Tua was always going to be named the starter after the bye week, just so happens our bye week was pushed up. It would have 100% been after week 11 if it was still then. The players have all already said that Tua looks great in practice, and that they understood the change. The team seems to be behind it 100%. And they know if Tua falters, Fitz will be right there to pick it back up.

What bothers me about it is that Fitz was having a really good year thus far and the team was following his charge. Granted he has left ALOT of meat on the bone when it comes to RZ scoring (especially that SEA game), and he was on pace for 15-16 INTs through a full 16 game season. Tua is not a turnover machine like that. Will Tua throw for 300 yds in a game? Not sure. He is far more accurate than Fitz. Can Tua beat guys with the deep ball? Don't know yet really.

I loved watching Fitz run the offense this year to be honest. I enjoyed it. He was so enthusiastic and energized. It was contagious. I want to see if that translates to Tua. I think the players know Tua is some kind of special QB. I think Fitz knows that too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast