Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    Although I thought Roberts did deserve some blame for how he handled the pen last game, I thought he did a pretty good job tonight with how he handled the pitchers. Great win, the Rays battled but we did what we had to do and put them away. We're in great shape to put this away in this next one!
    He did a lot better this time an actually had someone ready in case any of our guys got in trouble. He should have done that last night and today we would be celebrating a championship. But kudos to him. Other than taking out Kershaw, he did all the moves I recommended

Lmao and you trounced him for it after he did!

You wouldnít be claiming that if it didnít workout. Youíd be saying heís an idiot and ignoring the fact that you agreed with his moves, just like you did yesterday

I thought he made a couple of questionable pitching moves, but at least it worked out.

If it weren't for the pandemic, we'd have a shot at clinching at Dodger Stadium. The only time we've done that was in 1963.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

I think Roberts got lucky in the 8th when Victor Gonzalez faced those hitters. Glad it worked out but could've cost us the season there. And for the record I usually understand a lot of what Roberts does but def feel like he got lucky there.

We're very fortunate to get away with a win there, it's like our bats gave up after scoring 4 runs.

Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    We're very fortunate to get away with a win there, it's like our bats gave up after scoring 4 runs.
    They got shut down for the first time in the series. Though they got enough early so...w/e.

A few observations after a great win:

1) Roberts' management of the bullpen the last two games has been insane. Game 4 was a complete mess, bringing in Baez for a second inning, while using Graterol for only a single out, to bring in Jansen for the 9th. One of the toughest losses we have suffered in playoff memory. It really felt like Dave was using a playoff game to make personal statements about his confidence in certain players by deliberately putting or keeping them in high leverage spots with so many arms available. Not the time to do that. After a couple outings where Jansen's velocity and sharpness were obvious, it was also evident that Saturday night was different. He was also coming off giving up the homer to Randy Boots the night prior, so there's that. Glad he's been better lately, but he is not our lock down, ninth guy anymore. This was Brusdar's spot and should have stayed in for a 4-out finish to that game.

I REALLY thought he was making a huge mistake in game 5 when he brought in May, but it ended up being a shrewd move. May delivered big time, and in hindsight, it could not have worked out better. When I criticize him for making moves that don't work out, he deserves credit when they do. I bet 90% of us were screaming at the TV when he was bringing in May, and even Treinen. Both worked out, and it was a huge win.

2) Quality at bats - The complete team approach to our at bats throughout the playoffs is an amazing thing to watch. In the NLCS and WS in particular, the resistance to extend the strike zone, fight off pitchers' pitches, and drive up the pitch counts, has been nothing short of incredible. So much fun to watch them grind out at bats - must be an absolute nightmare to work through this lineup night in and night out. San Diego and Atlanta both should take lessons from the Dodgers' approach to these games.

3) Chris Taylor - Always easy to look back and criticize, after the fact, when someone has a bad game. My issue is not that Taylor has had a couple of rough nights, it's that he seems to be a guarantee in the lineup night after night, regardless. Of course, he is flexible and a good fit defensively in both the outfield as well as second base, I get that. I would rather see Pollock's bat in the lineup vs. Lefties, and Joc's bat when it comes to matching up against righties. CT3 has his moments, but Kike also steps up big during some of the most intense moments, and provides incredible defense. Neither one of them should be a guaranteed spot in the lineup, but Taylor seems to be. His defense the last two nights, along with his swing and miss nature, have been really costly. The guy has had some great moments, and I love his flexibility. He is inconsistent, and when he is not right at the plate, he really is not right. No one can swing through pitches like Taylor when you really need contact. Rotate him and Kike at 2nd base, and play the hotter hand night in and night out. Keep Joc/AJ as the the outfield rotation alongside Belli and Betts.

4) These are the good times. Organizations would kill for the run the Dodgers have had, and overall level of organizational depth. For all of the talk about not being able to finish the job, the team has done incredible things for the last 8 years or so. Being in the WS 3 out of 4 years is nothing short of amazing. Baseball is the most unpredictable of all of the major sports, and anything can happen over the course of a few games. Who knows how different the outcomes would have been had Houston not screwed everyone over during 2017. Knowing we are competing for the division, year in and year out, with expectations to advance deep into the postseason is all we can hope for as fans. It doesn't last forever, and we should really enjoy these times while they are here. I love what the organization is doing, and I think we have some good years coming up, but that is not a guarantee.

I get pissed, criticize the game management, yell at the TV when Taylor misses the ball by two feet when all we need is contact to keep the wheel moving with guys on base. In the end, it's hard to feel anything but excited, sitting at 3-2 in the WS with our best starting pitcher available for Game 7, should it get that far. Love the fact that the guys have stayed together and overall team first mentality runs throughout the lineup, with everyone doing their part, and playing their role, large or small on the biggest stage.

The Yankees, Cubs, Padres, Astros, Braves, Phillies etc. are all sitting at home watching these games from their couch - It's a good time to be a Dodger fan, and I couldn't be more proud of the state of things with the team, and the collection of guys they have put together. This group is going to bring home a title. 2020 has been one hell of a year, and I can't think of a better way to polish it off than to see the Dodgers holding that trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue8188 View Post
    I think Roberts got lucky in the 8th when Victor Gonzalez faced those hitters. Glad it worked out but could've cost us the season there. And for the record I usually understand a lot of what Roberts does but def feel like he got lucky there.
    I disagree with this. Gonzales has been lights out all year and has been super clutch in big moments and is arguably our most reliable bullpen guy. It was reasonable to stick with May, but it's just as reasonable to go to Gonzales. If you lose in that situation you have to live with the outcome. Gonzales is among the very best we have and so if you get beat like that you were simply not the better team.

Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    I didn't think we were lucky at all. We won that game because we were the better team and we outplayed them from start to finish. The Rays were lucky to even be in that situation. They got several cheap hits on Kershaw and then had a triple on a bad hop. In comparison, Muncy crushed the ball and it could've very easily turned into a triple and should've at the very least been a double, but instead it was a single because of a lucky carom for the Rays. Could've very easily been 5 or even 6-0 Dodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofdad View Post
    A few observations after a great win....
    This is a fair take and itís mostly what I see too.

Look, despite all the criticisms, CT3 is really a great ball player; I mean the track record tells the story. Heís got a career .800+ OPS since joining the Dodgers and heís been a valuable asset defensively.

Yes, he has a big swing, but before he had that big swing, he was what he was with Seattle and that was essentially a player on his last leg and nearly out of the league. Heís also made some defensive miscues in the WS, but that doesnít change the fact that heís a good defender.

Iím not sure why weíre not using AJ in LF. He had a great rebound year and gives you great ABs. Iím not sure whatís going on there, other than that heís also not having a great postseason and maybe Doc is trying to capture some of that 2017 magic that made Taylor the NLCS MVP. Or maybe he really wants Taylorís glove and ground coverage in the field considering the rest of the lineup is raking anyway.

I know itís gotta be frustrating for AJ right now after the way he performed this year. In either case; AJ, Kikť, and Joc are part time players. What other team in the league can say they have that many players of that caliber that are all part time contributors? Thatís a luxury only the Dodgers have.

Regarding the pitching changes. Look, as a fan, I did not agree with moving on from CK at the point he did last night. After burning them down in the 5th and getting outs on the first two pitches in the 6th, I thought CK actually had an opportunity to come back out for the 7th.

However, my dismay quickly dissipated because it really did make sense strategically. Kershaw had a two-run lead with Margot at the plate. Margot nearly brought himself across in the 4th inning with an entirely self-manufactured run. If Margot reaches base again, in one of the many ways heís capable of doing, the tying run comes to the plate and this story could have quickly gone from Kershawís redemption to a potential disaster with one swing of the bat. Doc didnít want that to be the story. Itís evident now that he never planned to let CK pitch to Margot again. He yanked CK before it was even a problem and I think CK, disappointed at first, thoroughly understood and was appreciative that Doc did not let CKís own ego get in the way of this one.

And May was no slouch - he LIT UP like he wanted to break every radar gun in a 5 mile radius.

Again, for me, it was a curious move to go to VG when he did... and again, I thought about the reality of the situation. To me, Choi, the tying run who mashes righties, at the plate, it makes sense to get him out of the game. Otherwise, it takes one bad pitch from May and all of CKís and Mayís hard work doesnít matter. Suddenly the narrative becomes something like ďRoberts yanks Kershaw too early, May too lateĒ.

I mean, we have a guy in this forum who for the last two days has been arguing that May is not a high leverage pitcher and shouldnít be trusted in those situations. Well, 8th inning, tying run at the plate, 1 out is pretty high leverage and, when he gets removed, the guy goes nuts over it.

We have people in here ALL THE TIME - same guy included - that complain about playing to the split advantages, yet when the guy that literally everyone wants to see as the setup man comes in, the first thing they complain about is ó you guessed it ó the splits!

IMO, Gonzalez is not a loogie. When you bring him in, you bring him in to clamp down the offense regardless of the matchup. DR knew that bringing in VG meant Choi was burned. It was the second time this series that he reached into that bag and it was the second time this series that Cash countered as such. And thatís exactly why it was VG in the bullpen and not McGee or Kolarek. Doc may not be a strategic master mind, but that was clearly a matter of chess, not checkers.

Finishing with Treinen was also logical. I wanted Graterol, but clearly they donít yet trust Graterol like that just yet and thatís fine. Heís a rookie. He hasnít been tested like this. Treinen has been solid for us and has the experience both as a closer and in the playoffs.

And though I only half bought into most of these changes, they worked out in the end. The reality is, as Iíve been saying these last few days, itís vastly more prominent that managerial decisions only marginally impact the outcome of the game than it is that they are a direct cause of a loss or reason for a win. All they do is try to give the ball the right guy at the right time.

And as it happens to have turned out...

Kershaw executed. May executed. GonzŠlez executed. Treinen executed. We gave up two runs. Thatís why we won.

I disagree with this. Gonzales has been lights out all year and has been super clutch in big moments and is arguably our most reliable bullpen guy. It was reasonable to stick with May, but it's just as reasonable to go to Gonzales. If you lose in that situation you have to live with the outcome. Gonzales is among the very best we have and so if you get beat like that you were simply not the better team.
    Agreed. Right now, I think I trust Gonzalez more than anyone else in the pen. I think it was the right call in hindsight.
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.Ē

- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    Agreed. Right now, I think I trust Gonzalez more than anyone else in the pen. I think it was the right call in hindsight.
    Yep, completely agree and I also think Roberts legitimately deserves credit for going to May last night. I think he saw something in him and the move paid off big time because May was electric and mostly shutdown the Rays.

World Series: Tampa Bay Rays vs Los Ageles Dodgers

One thing Iíll say about last night is I thought it was weird at first to take May out for victor Gonzalez. I mean, Dave usually loves his righty against righty and lefty against lefty pitching matchups and may was pitching good up until that point so taking a righty out for a lefty to face two righties in a row seemed odd at first.

But after thinking about it more I realize it was actually a really good move because both broseau and arosarena arenít effective against sliders and victor Gonzalez has a good slider and then Lowe is a Lefty/Lefty matchup that favors victor Gonzalez.

So sometimes it may sound like Dave has chronic brain farts, but just know heís the professional here, not us..lol.. He has more in depth scouting than any of us do.

Quote Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
    One thing Iíll say about last night is I thought it was weird at first to take May out for victor Gonzalez. I mean, Dave usually loves his righty against righty and lefty against lefty pitching matchups and may was pitching good up until that point so taking a righty out for a lefty to face two righties in a row seemed odd at first.

But after thinking about it more I realize it was actually a really good move because both broseau and arosarena arenít effective against sliders and victor Gonzalez has a good slider and then Lowe is a Lefty/Lefty matchup that favors victor Gonzalez.

So sometimes it may sound like Dave has chronic brain farts, but just know heís the professional here, not us..lol.. He has more in depth scouting than any of us do.
    Exactly
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 10-26-2020 at 05:36 PM.

Yep, completely agree and I also think Roberts legitimately deserves credit for going to May last night. I think he saw something in him and the move paid off big time because May was electric and mostly shutdown the Rays.
    Fa sho - on all of his pitching changes in fact. It was a two run game and he went to the pen ahead of any real trouble. All three relievers were effective and he didnít bring anyone in off 8 warmup pitches 😬
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.Ē

- Carl Sagan

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast