Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Your Favourite Local Restaurants

No chains allowed. Talk about your favourite spots to eat that can only be found where you live.

I've got 2. Square Boy and House of Indian Roti

Square Boy is a greasy old greek joint that serves burgers, souvlaki and gyros. I grew up in the east end of Toronto and some of the same people are still working there from when I was a kid. A hamburger special (burger, fries and a pop) is only $6 which is cheaper than any other place in Toronto. Their gyros on a bun is incredibly salty and delicious. They still serve the thickest milkshake I've ever had to this day. The best thing on the menu though is the homemade banquet burger. The patties are huge and peppery as ****.

House of Indian Roti is a spot in the west end of Toronto that has the best butter chicken I've had in my life. The sauce is so thick and creamy that it barely even squirts out of the roti when you cut into it. It's not cheap but the roti alone usually has me laying down on the couch when I'm done with it. The lamb madras roti is also phenomenal.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Try not to eat out nearly as much but tried this Hungarian place the other week.

Theyíre popular for their pierogies but make limited so didnít have them when I went but got chicken paprikas (never had) was insanely good. Will be going here more often.

Another place is The bayou which is southern Louisiana comfort food up in the northeastern part of PA. Iíd go there just for their Mac and cheese. Not a big steak eater so havenít had it there but Iíve heard tons of people claim itís one of the best theyíve had in the area. Thereís two locations in the area but I donít believe itís an actual chain outside those two. They make a solid gumbo and hot chicken. Go to is their pimento chicken po boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Jerk Soul. Entirely carry-out Caribbean joint. They have both a traditional menu and some fun fusions like a Philly jerk chicken sandwich. The original location wasn't in the safest neighborhood, but they were set to re-open on Cherokee Street this month. One of the first places that I would recommend to people visiting St. Louis.
    Chicago Cubs ē Chicago Blackhawks ē Buffalo Bills ē Southern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi Osaka ē Angelique Kerber ē Bianca Andreescu

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Try not to eat out nearly as much but tried this Hungarian place the other week.

Theyíre popular for their pierogies but make limited so didnít have them when I went but got chicken paprikas (never had) was insanely good. Will be going here more often.

Another place is The bayou which is southern Louisiana comfort food up in the northeastern part of PA. Iíd go there just for their Mac and cheese. Not a big steak eater so havenít had it there but Iíve heard tons of people claim itís one of the best theyíve had in the area. Thereís two locations in the area but I donít believe itís an actual chain outside those two. They make a solid gumbo and hot chicken. Go to is their pimento chicken po boy

Never been to PA but I spent a week in New Orleans around a little over a decade ago and probably ate my weight worth in Po Boys and Muffuletta.

There's a spot I just remembered which sadly burned down almost 2 years ago. Ironically enough it was called the Detroit Eatery and it was in Toronto. It was family owned for almost 70 years by Chris and Alex. It was close to my high school so I went there for lunch all the time. I'd usually go there for Sunday lunches with my buddy as an adult too. When the Red Wings won the cup in 2008 Kris Draper brought the Stanley Cup to the restaurant.

They had a solid breakfast but I'd usually go for lunch and grab the Detroit Burger (2 slices of peameal bacon, home made patty, a thick slice of cheddar and loads of onions) with a greek salad and fries.

The place was loved by the community so a gofundme was started by a friend of mine after it burned down. In 2 days $27 000 was raised but then ownership made it clear that they weren't re-opening. They informed the public of their intentions and said refunds would be available but from what I heard nobody asked for anything back.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    No chains allowed. Talk about your favourite spots to eat that can only be found where you live.

I've got 2. Square Boy and House of Indian Roti

Square Boy is a greasy old greek joint that serves burgers, souvlaki and gyros. I grew up in the east end of Toronto and some of the same people are still working there from when I was a kid. A hamburger special (burger, fries and a pop) is only $6 which is cheaper than any other place in Toronto. Their gyros on a bun is incredibly salty and delicious. They still serve the thickest milkshake I've ever had to this day. The best thing on the menu though is the homemade banquet burger. The patties are huge and peppery as ****.

House of Indian Roti is a spot in the west end of Toronto that has the best butter chicken I've had in my life. The sauce is so thick and creamy that it barely even squirts out of the roti when you cut into it. It's not cheap but the roti alone usually has me laying down on the couch when I'm done with it. The lamb madras roti is also phenomenal.
    Haha. I swear, non-desi peopleís favorite Indian dishes are always butter chicken/chicken tikka masala, and biryani. Canít say Iím shocked that you like butter chicken lol.

Toronto has fantastic Indian food, in my experience.

If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

I fall in to that grouping as well. Haven't branched out too deep in to Indian dishes but yeah, butter chicken/tikka masala and naan bread are my go to dishes. Would probably help if I had someone more knowledgeable in that type of cuisine to go out with. 95% of my Indian food experience is solo missions since many of my friends have the culinary tastes of a twelve year old.

PSD: where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Haha. I swear, non-desi peopleís favorite Indian dishes are always butter chicken/chicken tikka masala, and biryani. Canít say Iím shocked that you like butter chicken lol.

Toronto has fantastic Indian food, in my experience.

I branched out with the lamb madras damnit! Yeah, I love butter chicken. It doesn't help that 2 of the ladies I work with make it and bring it in whenever we have events. There's tons of awesome Indian spots on Gerrard street which is in the east end of Toronto.