Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Get rid of the minimum contract, the maximum contract, the draft, and make the cap a hard cap.

Guess what, the best run teams will still win more.
    I doubt it. Look at the NBA players that flocked to LA (Bron, AD, Kawhi, PG), and that was just in the last 2 years. Now imagine they have no limitations on spending? You’d probably see a guy like Giannis join Bron and AD in LA. That has nothing to do with how well run the Lakers are...

A good way IMO to have parity is to allow each team to only have 1 supermax player (starting at $37.5 million) and only 1 max player (starting at $30 million). The most any other player on the team can start their contract is at $20 million. That would break up super teams. And prevent super teams from forming. Teams cannot trade for a supermax or max player if they already have them.

Of course keep the salary cap the same. If teams want to pay LT let them.
    "My cow is dead, I don't need your bull"

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I doubt it. Look at the NBA players that flocked to LA (Bron, AD, Kawhi, PG), and that was just in the last 2 years. Now imagine they have no limitations on spending? You’d probably see a guy like Giannis join Bron and AD in LA. That has nothing to do with how well run the Lakers are...
    I said "make the cap a hard cap." How is that no limit on spending?

Quote Originally Posted by McAllen Tx View Post
    A good way IMO to have parity is to allow each team to only have 1 supermax player (starting at $37.5 million) and only 1 max player (starting at $30 million). The most any other player on the team can start their contract is at $20 million. That would break up super teams. And prevent super teams from forming. Teams cannot trade for a supermax or max player if they already have them.

It wouldn't prevent it. It would just mean they'd have to compromise on the money they make.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I said "make the cap a hard cap." How is that no limit on spending?
    I overlooked that part. I think your idea would increase parity, but I don’t know if the player’s Union would like a hard cap because it caps player’s earning potential.

Quote Originally Posted by LF85 View Post
    No player should make $50,000,000...
    MJ made like 67 million a season....is that better?

Quote Originally Posted by McAllen Tx View Post

Set hard cap at 175 million with 3 supermax per team. All teams should be able to trade players no matter how much they make for any reason. Eliminate load management. If players don't earn their max money = performance ratio for 2 straight seasons that are not injury related, they can be waived. Any fake injuries will be subject to termination of contract and fined by the league. Any player who test positive for Corona are fined.
    Last edited by cattusmaru; 10-19-2020 at 06:15 AM.

I overlooked that part. I think your idea would increase parity, but I don’t know if the player’s Union would like a hard cap because it caps player’s earning potential.
    I would increase the cap up 30% or so to hard cap it to start so the current elite players would LOVE it, then once it's a fact it's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by cattusmaru View Post
    MJ made like 67 million a season....is that better?
    Not in NBA salary he didn't. He did make $33M one year, and he was worth it more than LeBron based on what he did for NBA revenue.

Should allow player trades where the team trading the player away can agree to keep part of the salary responsibility (up to 50%) but remove it from the cap. So, want to a $30M player? You can trade them to another team that only has to pay them $15M, and the other $15M still comes from the team that traded them away.

because that is what the NBAPA agreed to

The players have collectively bargained what percentage of revenue they get. A hard cap doesn't cap their earnings in any way really.

The max contrsct is in place to protect the mid tier free agent, who are a decent chunk of the NBPA. Without it, the mid tier would dry up. You'd have a bunch of guys making $30 mill plus and then league minimum types. It's the same reason stuff like the mid level exception exist.

I'd be all for a hard cap and no max salary. It makes teams be smart and at least opens up a chance for less ideal markets to push for a FA. Like the OP said, guys like AD will always get the max. So when teams like LA can offer the same as Utah or Milwuakee, there's almost no chance those guys go to Utah or Milwuakee. But if all of a sudden Utah can offer AD $8 mill a year more than anyone cuz of their cap situation, you at least make him make a choice. He may still choose LA or a different market, but at least Utah was able to bring something different to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by cattusmaru View Post
    Any player who test positive for Corona are fined.
    why would you fine a player for that? are we going to fine them for catching a cold too?

How about setting a hard cap but making it take effect in 10 years. That way the current players will largely be unaffected?

It's rather funny we are debating if a millionaire should make more money. That being said, I do understand that the value James brings an organization is way more than John Wall for example. Perhaps teams should have the ability to give a portion of earnings on top of a contract to a player if they wish? Clearly they would only give that to a player that they know will bring in a ton of revenue.

LeBron makes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ay more than all those guys listed though, when you factor in off court earnings.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast