Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Creation Story

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Well, it sure didn’t take long for this thread to “evolve.”
    lol never does...
    "But yeah...this is the BLM era and the Dems are running a mass incarceration ticket." ManRam

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    I do believe in a supreme being and creator, however I do believe that the earth is more than 6,000 years old. I think the creator put the things in motion in order for beings to be formed maybe tweaking things here or there. there are too many things that are being found that shows that the earth is older than 6,000 years old. Dinosaurs for one. science shows that Dinosaurs and Humans were not alive at the same times and we know there were dinosaurs just from the fossils. The bible however doesn't seem to specifically mention an animal like a dinosaur.

I also think that the creation story in the bible is partially literal and mostly metaphorical. I think the Let there be light stuff is more of a metaphorical view of the opening of peoples eyes to religion. Adam and Eve were the metaphorical beginning of a religion. If not there are some major questions there like how did Adams and Eve's sons find wives? and their sons children find wives? if you were to go with this Adam and Eve's sons would be marrying their sisters and having kids and those kids would be marrying each other to have kids. Now if you want to get crazy that could explain neanderthals.

But if you go with my idea of it being more metaphorical and the let there be light moment being the beginning of religion than the wives were other women from the surrounding areas that were being converted into this religion.
    “Look at the behemoth, which I made along with you and which feeds on grass like an ox. What strength he has in his loins, what power in the muscles of his belly! His tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are close-knit. His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like rods of iron. He ranks first among the works of God…” (Job 40:15-19)

Many literalist would point to this scripture as evidence of Dino's in the Bible. Of course it won't ever say "dinosaur" in any bible, or any other literature written before sometime in the 1800's since the word didn't exist until then.

The answer to how Adam and Eve's chidden could marry and have offspring is our DNA wasn't as bad as it is now. Not sure if you know this but everything is in a state of decay... including us. DNA doesn't evolve (adds information) is only devolves (loses information).
    "But yeah...this is the BLM era and the Dems are running a mass incarceration ticket." ManRam

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I can't honestly claim I have ever delved very deep into Darwin's theory or evolution overall, given I've been a Christian my entire 60+ years. I just answered 20th K's question
    And that's fine. I was just answering an often asked but misinformed question.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I have no idea why it's so important to you to keep asking basically the same question in a different way until I answer as you think I should. I have told you my thoughts more than once already and thought I had been quite clear. Of course there's a relationship between evolution and the age of the earth...evolution takes time. Agreeing that there has been evolution, however, doesn't mean believing every aspect of what has been put out there AS evolution- as in apes becoming man.

How you would believe if you were convinced the earth is billions of years old is up to you. You've said you don't, however, believe that so you're only speculating on what you yourself would think.

I also didn't say I believed the earth to be billions of years old, just potentially much longer than 6,000 years. What if this creation story has repeated itself many many times over the millennia? We only have our own concept of time to go by, but the scale changes if you're God. So does the scale of physical size. What if our solar system is actually an atom in a molecule?
    One can agree with evolution and still believe in the Christian God. Many scientists do.

But the OP was asking specifically what believers did and didn't believe about the creation story. Bowing out now. Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Here's the thing: You arrived at these "beliefs" because you wanted to. They're part of your religious dogma which dictates what you're going to believe about such things. You hold preconceived notions about the universe based on what can be gleaned in the Bible and that is that.

But people who study these things hold no such preconceived ideas. They start with a blank slate and do the research based on the best available technology yielding the best available information. That's called the state of the art and it changes as it gets better.

Right now, the best idea we have is that the universe expanded from a singular unit following an event dubbed "The Big Bang" to its present form over the past 13.7 billion years.

Proven? No. Demonstrated? Much better word.

As for me, my "faith" lies with whatever the state of the art of science tells me. I'm not a PhD. I don't do the science. I don't do the math. I don't do the work. But I do love to read about it. I find it fascinating. So I try to keep up with the latest developments of science that drive my "beliefs" on the subject.
    Yes, I post this clip too often but this post made me think of it once again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Ak-SmyHHQ

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Yes, I post this clip too often but this post made me think of it once again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Ak-SmyHHQ
    Lol another personal favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    “Look at the behemoth, which I made along with you and which feeds on grass like an ox. What strength he has in his loins, what power in the muscles of his belly! His tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are close-knit. His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like rods of iron. He ranks first among the works of God…” (Job 40:15-19)

Many literalist would point to this scripture as evidence of Dino's in the Bible. Of course it won't ever say "dinosaur" in any bible, or any other literature written before sometime in the 1800's since the word didn't exist until then.

The answer to how Adam and Eve's chidden could marry and have offspring is our DNA wasn't as bad as it is now. Not sure if you know this but everything is in a state of decay... including us. DNA doesn't evolve (adds information) is only devolves (loses information).
    I said you were not going to have dinosaurs named specifically because at that point in time if you go by the science people would not have known what a dinosaur was. based on the science Dinosaurs and People did not exist at the same time. The closest was woolly mammaths and dinosaur descendants like sharks, gators and the such.

as for the 2nd part about the inbreeding of adam and eve's children, Leviticus 20:17 “‘If a man marries his sister, the daughter of either his father or his mother, and they have sexual relations, it is a disgrace. They are to be publicly removed from their people. He has dishonored his sister and will be held responsible."

so if god set for the law than how would he allow Adam and Eve's children to marry each other and procreate? Again, I believe a supreme being created the galaxy and the beings within but, much like a gardener he gives the basics to survive and it is up to the plant to survive. and the Adam and Eve story is more metaphorical of a group of people creating their religion to worship the being that created them.

I said you were not going to have dinosaurs named specifically because at that point in time if you go by the science people would not have known what a dinosaur was. based on the science Dinosaurs and People did not exist at the same time. The closest was woolly mammaths and dinosaur descendants like sharks, gators and the such.

as for the 2nd part about the inbreeding of adam and eve's children, Leviticus 20:17 “‘If a man marries his sister, the daughter of either his father or his mother, and they have sexual relations, it is a disgrace. They are to be publicly removed from their people. He has dishonored his sister and will be held responsible."

so if god set for the law than how would he allow Adam and Eve's children to marry each other and procreate? Again, I believe a supreme being created the galaxy and the beings within but, much like a gardener he gives the basics to survive and it is up to the plant to survive. and the Adam and Eve story is more metaphorical of a group of people creating their religion to worship the being that created them.
    Prior to the word dinosaur they had a name. The most popular being dragon.

There is evidence of man and dinosaur being alive together in the fossil record.

Correct God allowed intermarriage for a period of time. The verse is Leviticus happened some 2500+ years after Adam and Eve.

You can work backwards from the ages given and come to an approximation.
    How confident are you that whoever told you they worked the ages and came to 6000 years was indeed accurate?

They could have been quite off. I do believe there is some debate regarding that within Christian scholarship. I may be wrong, let me know if so..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

My view of the creation story is that it’s just mythology developed during times when there wasn’t enough technology to explain natural phenomena. A way to explain the unexplainable.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    How confident are you that whoever told you they worked the ages and came to 6000 years was indeed accurate?

They could have been quite off. I do believe there is some debate regarding that within Christian scholarship. I may be wrong, let me know if so..

There is pretty much agreement on the Earth being somewhere between 6-10,000 years old from the Biblical record.

You said that Dinosaurs weren't in the Bible... I gave you a verse that suggested they were. I know you believe that they didn't exist at the same time and I would argue that art and historical writings would differ with you.

No Adam and Eve weren't living under the law, which didn't come around for another 2000+ years after they were created.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post

It's not hard. the Bible literally has the ages of each person. You can do the work yourself.... no scholars needed to get an approximate date.

It's not hard. the Bible literally has the ages of each person. You can do the work yourself.... no scholars needed to get an approximate date.
    Have you ever done this?

Can you give us a quick breakdown?

It just seems so bizarre that someone would assume any one book to cover the entirety of humanity without it specifically stating so.

I feel like somewhere in there someone took a major leap.

RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast