Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 391

Thread: Creation Story

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,916

    Creation Story

    So I wanted to split off the creation story conversations because I wanted to discuss what other PSD Christians believe about it. That's not to say that others cant discuss with us but I didn't want this evolving into a creation vs evolution debate. Although evolution will surely play a part, lets try to keep in into the context of its timeline and less about actual evolving part.

    I believe that the creation story was literal. I believe the age of the earth is roughly 6000 years old. I reject the idea of the big bang, as far as it happening 13 billion years old (or however old it is now). I believe that a day is a day as is stated in Gen 1. I believe that any "age" that the appears in the earth is either wrongly interpreted or, like stated before, was already present at the creation.
    "But yeah...this is the BLM era and the Dems are running a mass incarceration ticket." ManRam

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    1,572
    agree

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,916
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    agree
    This is the internet... you're not allowed to do that.
    "But yeah...this is the BLM era and the Dems are running a mass incarceration ticket." ManRam

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    This is the internet... you're not allowed to do that.
    I change my answer to ....

    AGREE

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,178
    Disclaimer: I am not Christian (but you know that)

    I believe that there are two creation stories in “The Holy Bible”: Genesis 1:1–2:3 and Genesis 2:4–2:25.

    As I read them, m, they are both myths, not to be taken literally, but important in thier own right. The first is the “cosmological” myth (focusing largely the creation of the universe, earth and all of earth’s inhabitants), and the second is the “ontological” myth (focusing largely the creation of humans and human nature).

    They originated at different times in the history of Israel.
    Last edited by Crovash; 10-16-2020 at 10:10 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    1,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Disclaimer: I am not Christian (but you know that)

    I believe that there are two creation stories in “The Holy Bible”: Genesis 1:1–2:3 and Genesis 2:4–2:25.

    As I read them, m, they are both myths, not to be taken literally, but important in thier own right. The first is the “cosmological” myth (focusing largely the creation of the universe, earth and all of earth’s inhabitants), and the second is the “ontological” myth (focusing largely the creation of humans and human nature).

    They originated at different times in the history of Israel.
    It's one contiguous story. Genesis 2 provides details but it's the same story.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    15,030
    My belief won't match what 20th K posted; suffice it to say I believe there are ways for science and religion to match up somewhat.

    I do find it funny, however, that so many (not saying you since I don't know) can view the creation story as fairy tale, but claim it's 'proven' (and easier to believe) that the entire universe exploded into being in a millisecond from a single atom.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,178
    Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    It's one contiguous story. Genesis 2 provides details but it's the same story.
    I disagree. As would a good many biblical scholars.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    15,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I disagree. As would a good many biblical scholars.
    I'm not sure I'm following. Genesis 1 is basically the first 6 days of creation, Genesis 2 starts with the 7th (not sure why they split the chapters there), then goes into Adam, Eve, and the Garden of Eden. I guess it depends on where you're marking the end of one story and the beginning of the next?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I disagree. As would a good many biblical scholars.
    Honestly I have never heard your view before but it is an interesting one. When you say Biblical Scholars, what do you mean? and who do you mean?
    "But yeah...this is the BLM era and the Dems are running a mass incarceration ticket." ManRam

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,916
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I'm not sure I'm following. Genesis 1 is basically the first 6 days of creation, Genesis 2 starts with the 7th (not sure why they split the chapters there), then goes into Adam, Eve, and the Garden of Eden. I guess it depends on where you're marking the end of one story and the beginning of the next?
    great point... it is one continuous story that someone in the 16th century added chapters and verses to.
    "But yeah...this is the BLM era and the Dems are running a mass incarceration ticket." ManRam

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,178
    This is not where I got my information initially (I remember the aforementioned facts from a religion course I took). But it does support what I learned in that course.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesi...tion_narrative

    Excerpt:

    According to Biblical scholar Francis Andersen, misunderstanding the genre of the text—meaning the intention of the author(s) and the culture within which they wrote—will result in a misreading. Reformed evangelical scholar Bruce Waltke cautions against one such misreading: the "woodenly literal" approach, which leads to "creation science," but also such "implausible interpretations" as the "gap theory," the presumption of a "young earth," and the denial of evolution. As scholar of Jewish studies, Jon D. Levenson, puts it:

    How much history lies behind the story of Genesis? Because the action of the primeval story is not represented as taking place on the plane of ordinary human history and has so many affinities with ancient mythology, it is very far-fetched to speak of its narratives as historical at all."

    Another scholar, Conrad Hyers, summed up the same thought by writing, "A literalist interpretation of the Genesis accounts is inappropriate, misleading, and unworkable [because] it presupposes and insists upon a kind of literature and intention that is not there."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    15,030
    Well, that's a reason I don't view the 6 days of creation should be taken as 24 hour, 60 minute/hour days as we generally view days. I mean, if the earth and moon were being created during that time, the whole concept of a 24 hour day didn't even yet exist- you can't mark the time something makes a full circle before that item is created, yes?

    So, if you get away from the mindset of a 24 hour day and understand what the writer spoke of as a day....could have been a much Much longer period of time....
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    This is not where I got my information initially (I remember the aforementioned facts from a religion course I took). But it does support what I learned in that course.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesi...tion_narrative

    Excerpt:

    According to Biblical scholar Francis Andersen, misunderstanding the genre of the text—meaning the intention of the author(s) and the culture within which they wrote—will result in a misreading. Reformed evangelical scholar Bruce Waltke cautions against one such misreading: the "woodenly literal" approach, which leads to "creation science," but also such "implausible interpretations" as the "gap theory," the presumption of a "young earth," and the denial of evolution. As scholar of Jewish studies, Jon D. Levenson, puts it:

    How much history lies behind the story of Genesis? Because the action of the primeval story is not represented as taking place on the plane of ordinary human history and has so many affinities with ancient mythology, it is very far-fetched to speak of its narratives as historical at all."

    Another scholar, Conrad Hyers, summed up the same thought by writing, "A literalist interpretation of the Genesis accounts is inappropriate, misleading, and unworkable [because] it presupposes and insists upon a kind of literature and intention that is not there."
    Would you say that represents the majority view of Christianity? And doesn't this also have a presupposition that our current understanding of the age of the universe is correct? So if you start with that presuppostion, then you either have to deny the literalist viewpoint or make up "gap theory" or "day-age" theories to account for the presupposed age.

    The problem becomes death. The Bible argues that thru sin death entered the world. This isn't a point of contingency among believers, although I admit it is among non-believers. If death entered before Adam, like the billions that must have died before Adam, then you have death before sin.
    "But yeah...this is the BLM era and the Dems are running a mass incarceration ticket." ManRam

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,916
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Well, that's a reason I don't view the 6 days of creation should be taken as 24 hour, 60 minute/hour days as we generally view days. I mean, if the earth and moon were being created during that time, the whole concept of a 24 hour day didn't even yet exist- you can't mark the time something makes a full circle before that item is created, yes?

    So, if you get away from the mindset of a 24 hour day and understand what the writer spoke of as a day....could have been a much Much longer period of time....
    See my above argument. How do you respond to death before sin?
    "But yeah...this is the BLM era and the Dems are running a mass incarceration ticket." ManRam

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •