Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreign Policy

Foreign Policy

This topic does not get enough traction in the media and its a real shame.

One of the biggest scams Trump sold to America was him being anti war. Hes one of the worst presidents in US history on this topic. He assigned Bush guys to head his departments. He lied about there compliance and left the Iran deal.

He went to Korea for photo ops. He attempted a joke of a peace treaty with a total scumbag in Netanyahu.

If Trump got reelected wed be headed to a war with Iran. This was clearly the GOPs plan.

But at the end of the day foreign policy is just not very effective at getting votes.

How do we keep people informed on foreign policy when the media and voters are more transfixed on sensationalized BS.

Biden did the Iraq invasion.
    Obama spread our involvement in the middle east and only public sentiment stop him from going into Syria
    Trump a lot of beating of the chest, barking but no action. He came close with the killing of the Iranian general, but he didn't expand our involvement in the middle east. Covertly, he back the Saudi in Yemen, but no American troopers or to my knowledge drone strikes.
    A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.

Martin Luther King.

Practically speaking, I see little difference between Trump's 4 years foreign policy-wise and Obama's. And neither, obviously, were nearly as destructive as GWB. Obviously Trump took a harder line with some countries and a softer one with some others, but big picture nothing really changed. Big picture nothing is going to change with Biden. Maybe some small improvements here or there. Our allies (non-Saudi/non-Israeli) might be a bit happier to not have a child in charge. But all we know now in this country is perpetual war and wasting all our money on it. Obama didn't change that. Trump didn't change that. Joe Biden sure as **** ain't changing it.
    HELLO

Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Practically speaking, I see little difference between Trump's 4 years foreign policy-wise and Obama's. And neither, obviously, were nearly as destructive as GWB. Obviously Trump took a harder line with some countries and a softer one with some others, but big picture nothing really changed. Big picture nothing is going to change with Biden. Maybe some small improvements here or there. Our allies (non-Saudi/non-Israeli) might be a bit happier to not have a child in charge. But all we know now in this country is perpetual war and wasting all our money on it. Obama didn't change that. Trump didn't change that. Joe Biden sure as **** ain't changing it.
    I think pulling out of iran deal and global deal, along with our general rhetoric, has definitely damaged foreign relations with especially europe but also other nations.

Trump.did improve some of our standing in the middle east, but at the expense of our standing with the rest of the world.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

I think we can learn a lot here by how the various leaders of other countries have reacted to election results.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I think pulling out of iran deal and global deal, along with our general rhetoric, has definitely damaged foreign relations with especially europe but also other nations.

Trump.did improve some of our standing in the middle east, but at the expense of our standing with the rest of the world.

I had a much longer post that I just scrapped for that. I was talking to Brewers this weekend (well, until I made a long post and he remembered he doesn't like talking policy) and talked about Iran. That's the obvious unnecessary escalation that needs to be undone day 1. In general, I like de-escalation. And that applies to NK, Russia, China, Iran, Venezuela, whomever. I don't care.

I think our standing changed, for sure...but to be fair I kinda feel like we should've been seen as pariahs well before Trump showed up. Iran again being the most obvious example. Reneging on the deal was a horrible decision. Why should any country make a similar deal with us now? And he did it just to escalate things? I truly think he wanted a war with Iran and I truly think Covid saved us.

Anyways. FP is tough but I think perhaps above all else it's the one area where Dems and Republicans are as close to the same as can be.

Like, if NATO leaders are happy...is that actually a good thing? I don't know.
    HELLO

Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Im sorry but this is very naive and precisely what im talking about. Leaving the Iran deal was not a happy accident.

This was an obvious continuation of the 50 year long destabilization agenda America has been in.

Lying to leave the Iran deal served a purpose. And its pretty obvious. Next time Iran gets close to nuclear fission they will not try to negotiate and we will be forced to intervene. This was the obvious plan of the GOP. The deal took 14 months of constant negotiating.

And Im also tired of these false equivalencies when it comes to wars. Theres a big difference between intervening to prevent a humanitarian disaster and going to war by fear mongering and lying to increase profits of oil companies and political pockets.

Combine this with Trumps attempt to reverse the trend of green energy vs Bidens attempt to go green has a deeper purpose than global warming even. Its to remove economic interest in the area.

We are the leader of the free world. If we as Americans dont want that title fine. But im all for preventing mass murder. And eliminating threats to countries that are trying to seek freedom. We shouldnt be nation building like was original plan in iraq. But that doesnt mean we should turn isolationist.
    Last edited by MRSpock; 11-09-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post

Trump improved our standing with that ****ing snake Netanyahu. They made a BS deal for peace in the middle East. Giving them an area in israel without representation in government at all.

This is the whole reason if you remember in 2012 Netanyahu came to America 1 week before the election. Obama accused him of election meddling for endorsing Romney. But Netanyahu pretended he was "visiting his old pal" and Obama wasnt answering his calls. Knowing full well that polls showed that the Jewish community in America would overwhelmingly support Netanyahus decision.

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Biden did the Iraq invasion.
    Obama spread our involvement in the middle east and only public sentiment stop him from going into Syria
    Trump a lot of beating of the chest, barking but no action. He came close with the killing of the Iranian general, but he didn't expand our involvement in the middle east. Covertly, he back the Saudi in Yemen, but no American troopers or to my knowledge drone strikes.
    The killing of soleimani was an attempt to bait Iran. It was a terrible decision and almost caused huge problems.

Trump increased drone strikes. Not sure by how much. The criticisms of Obama for this are also naive. The increase of drones in Obamas presidency is ac result of less need of ground troops due to the increase of drone tech.

Biden admitted his mistake in the Iraq war and was a huge part of the negotiations. Not every person who voted yes on the war was in on the plan. But the fact he was in on the Iran deal is a huge sign. And Iran started back their nuclear program but continued allowing the inspection. A lot of people believe they were waiting on the election.

It saddens me that people think that a 14 month long negotiation and treaty is equal to Trump yelling at Kim. And a BS treaty with Israel.

That they think Biden voting for the Iraq war is equal to Bolton lying about WMDs. A lie he had tried before with Cuba. Yes he tried to say Cuba had WMDs.

Obama made a bad decision with Libya. But damn. He is 2000x better than Trump and 100000000x better than bolton. Wars are not created out of thin air. People are so hung up right now on garbage.

And btw. We almost had a treaty in Iran during the Bush era. Before he labeled then an "axis of evil". Guess who he negotiated with? Solemani.

Our standing in the world matters. Foreign policy matters. People will spend so much time focusing on the problem with identity politics. Or other BS like what bathrooms transgenders use. This is propaganda tabloid material.

This is the stuff that effects the worlds future.

One of the best things this administration has done is foreign policy. I think some folks in here are still suffering with TDS even after his re-election bid has failed.

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    One of the best things this administration has done is foreign policy. I think some folks in here are still suffering with TDS even after his re-election bid has failed.
    Guessing youre not going to substantiate that claim? Honestly cant tell if thats a troll or not lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    Guessing youre not going to substantiate that claim? Honestly cant tell if thats a troll or not lol.
    I can almost guarantee you he’ll offer zero evidence to substantiate any of his positions, here in the politics forum or elsewhere.

That diatribe aside, and looking forward in the realm of US foreign policy, I agree that it is much more important than things like unisex bathrooms, but I am ambivalent about what I expect from Biden and his team (especially since Covid/economy will probably dominate a good portion of the transition energy).

I do not, however, expect any weakening of our ties with either Israel or Saudi Arabia — maybe no pumping them up either, but still nothing lessening...unfortunately.

We have some fence mending to do, which makes the choice of SoS a major determining factor as to which direction our foreign policy goes, particularily as domestic issues grab most of the immediate attention for the incoming administration.
    Last edited by Crovash; 11-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    He never does...

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    I think Trump is having an episode of TDS himself.

On election night he went on TV and ranted like a psycho that they need to stop counting, lmao. Even Republican talking heads were in shock, like wow, he doesn't understand how an election works..

Btw, foreign policy was probably one of the worst areas of his presidency. Before corona it probably was, along with economy.

RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast