Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yankees Bullpen

Yankees Bullpen

The reliever free agent market projects to be quite robust, with big names like Trevor Rosenthal, Blake Treinen, Liam Hendriks, and potentially Brad Hand and Josh Hader headlining the class. No secret here on PSD the consensus opinion suggests strongly they need to augment the pen. What should they do and who is your choice?

Randon thought. Is it time to shed payroll and part with big ticket relievers ala Chapman and Otto?

Do you package some young guys that are blocked ?
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I drop Otto. That's a no brainer.
    I keep Chapman.
    I pick up the option for Britton

Hendriks and Trienen were not very good in the post season, I stay away.
    Roesnthal? Meh. I'd be fine with or without.

I don't think the pen needs that much. Get rid of Otto. Replace him with a guy who's reliable. That's a big upgrade.

Hand got destroyed in the post season.

Hader would be a target. I'd start with Andujar and King. I don't go crazy after that. Mid level prospects or Stanton. lol

Ignorance is bliss

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I keep Chapman.

I don't think the pen needs that much. Get rid of Otto. Replace him with a guy who's reliable. That's a big upgrade.

Hader would be a target. I'd start with Andujar and King. I don't go crazy after that. Mid level prospects or Stanton. lol
    So you'd drop otto even with a year left on his contact?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    So you'd drop otto even with a year left on his contact?

Yup
    Trade him for low level prospects

Ignorance is bliss

Be careful what you wish for... this entire post appears to be another sad case of the grass being greener on the other side... This is not the NBA where you can buy a superteam.. of all the years of both NY, and LA trying it.. it's rarely worked out.. some team full of young upstarts always seems to wreck it..

Yup
    Trade him for low level prospects
    I would too since he hasn’t worked out with the yanks.

I keep Chapman.

So you want to stay away from pitchers who get lit up in the post season but you want to keep Chapman. Ok.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    So you want to stay away from pitchers who get lit up in the post season but you want to keep Chapman. Ok.
    I'm not the biggest fan of Chapman but this is just silly. This seems like you're attempting to say Chapman gets lit up in the post season.

His post season ERA is 2.40

He has pitched 41 innings in 35 post season games, allowing 14 runs which 11 were earned runs, including 3 home runs, 28 hits, 62 strike outs and 16 walks. 10 saves with 4 blown saves which equals a 71% save rate in the post season.

If that's your getting of lit up, I have a bridge to sell you.

He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Not having Otto right and losing Kahnle was a pretty big hit, especially in a series going 5 straight. It however pales in comparison to not having a legit #2.

Chapman, yikes, yeah, he's had some bad moments but the truth is, we got spoiled with Mo.

The bullpen didnt lose us the game / series, the offense and not having a legit rotation did, again.

Quote Originally Posted by NYY09 View Post
    Not having Otto right and losing Kahnle was a pretty big hit, especially in a series going 5 straight. It however pales in comparison to not having a legit #2.

Chapman, yikes, yeah, he's had some bad moments but the truth is, we got spoiled with Mo.

The bullpen didnt lose us the game / series, the offense and not having a legit rotation did, again.
    Bingo! Mo was so reliable and consistent most pale in comparison. There is a reason he was a first ballot HOFer, a very exclusive group.

I also agree PB didn't lose the game. No rotation depth to rely on. I maintain Sevy, German or even Paxton could have made a difference, particularly in game 2.

Moving forward the problem will need to be addressed. A solid arm to slot behind Cole is near top of the list, after DJ. Imo German will be a contributor. He has to prove himself and convince the skeptics his 2019 performance was no fluke.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Bingo! Mo was so reliable and consistent most pale in comparison. There is a reason he was a first ballot HOFer, a very exclusive group.

I also agree PB didn't lose the game. No rotation depth to rely on. I maintain Sevy, German or even Paxton could have made a difference, particularly in game 2.

Moving forward the problem will need to be addressed. A solid arm to slot behind Cole is near top of the list, after DJ. Imo German will be a contributor. He has to prove himself and convince the skeptics his 2019 performance was no fluke.
    I miss Mo...

The rotation has been the weak link for far too long. Having a powerhouse pen almost worked. Almost.

Game 2 blunder cost em, changed the whole complexion of the series. So yeah, agreed, Pax or Sevy would've been a difference maker.

A #2 should be the top priority, heck, I would say even a solid 3. Either way, they need to address the rotation. Would've loved to see what a Cole - Sevy - Pax rotation couldve done. (aside from get injured)

I miss Mo...

The rotation has been the weak link for far too long. Having a powerhouse pen almost worked. Almost.

Game 2 blunder cost em, changed the whole complexion of the series. So yeah, agreed, Pax or Sevy would've been a difference maker.

A #2 should be the top priority, heck, I would say even a solid 3. Either way, they need to address the rotation. Would've loved to see what a Cole - Sevy - Pax rotation couldve done. (aside from get injured)
    That’s the thing they had 4 or 5 guys who could have started game two , there was no reason at all to use an opener in game 2 , game 4 possibly if they had gone with Monty in game 2 or 3. But not in game 2. And sevy and Paxton have not been sure things in the playoffs in the past so I not convinced either one would have made a difference .

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    That’s the thing they had 4 or 5 guys who could have started game two , there was no reason at all to use an opener in game 2 , game 4 possibly if they had gone with Monty in game 2 or 3. But not in game 2. And sevy and Paxton have not been sure things in the playoffs in the past so I not convinced either one would have made a difference .
    I mean, I'll take Pax or Sevy over any of the 4 or 5 guys that could've started. And yeah, nothing is a sure thing but you cant honestly say you dont think their chances would've been better with either of those than whatever they had as an option....

We agree tho, game 2 was a huge f up...

I mean, I'll take Pax or Sevy over any of the 4 or 5 guys that could've started. And yeah, nothing is a sure thing but you cant honestly say you dont think their chances would've been better with either of those than whatever they had as an option....

We agree tho, game 2 was a huge f up...
    I am certain that Paxton would have made no difference , he finished the season with over 6 era before he got hurt .

As for sevy I am just not convinced he would have made a difference . Mainly because we don’t know what version they of sevy we would have gotten . The 17 sevy or the 18 sevy ?

Either way using an opener in game 2 should not have been an option

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    I am certain that Paxton would have made no difference , he finished the season with over 6 era before he got hurt .

As for sevy I am just not convinced he would have made a difference . Mainly because we don’t know what version they of sevy we would have gotten . The 17 sevy or the 18 sevy ?

Either way using an opener in game 2 should not have been an option
    Thats the thing, if Pax would've pitched like he did to start the year then no, of course he doesnt make a difference, nor the start, was inferring to an affective Pax. Same thing with Sevy, if hes right, absolute difference. He wasnt really himself last year either but made a difference.

Game 2, yeah man, that was dumb.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast