Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    4,487
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Joba debut as a Yankee was in 07 as a reliever and made 19 appearances and pitched to a 0.38 era. Hughes made 44 regular season relief appearances as a 23 yr old in 09 and was a big part that championship BP
    Hughes started 21 games in 07 and 08 combined . He pitched in 21 games in 07 and 08 . Then in 09 he was moved to the bullpen but still started 7 games in 09 and then was a starter again in 2010 when he started over 20 games and had a era of over 4 . He had only one season in his career with an era below 4 and that was 09 . He went down hill right after that season and was mainly a starter until 18 . As for Hughes being a big part of their championship bp, he wasn’t . In the 09 alds he had a 9 era and in that World Series he had 16 era .
    Joba chamberlain was first brought up as a starter but wasn’t moved to the pen full time until 2010 and remained there for the rest of his career

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Hughes started 21 games in 07 and 08 combined . He pitched in 21 games in 07 and 08 . Then in 09 he was moved to the bullpen but still started 7 games in 09 and then was a starter again in 2010 when he started over 20 games and had a era of over 4 . He had only one season in his career with an era below 4 and that was 09 . He went down hill right after that season and was mainly a starter until 18 . As for Hughes being a big part of their championship bp, he wasn’t . In the 09 alds he had a 9 era and in that World Series he had 16 era .
    Joba chamberlain was first brought up as a starter but wasn’t moved to the pen full time until 2010 and remained there for the rest of his career
    Check the facts Jorge.https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...hambjo03.shtml He appeared 19 games in 07, the yr he debuted and started zero games that yr.

    The original point of this discussion was to figure out how to best improve the pen and young arms that might not have a place yet or be ready for the rotation contributing in the BP

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    4,487
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Check the facts Jorge.https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...hambjo03.shtml He appeared 19 games in 07, the yr he debuted and started zero games that yr.

    The original point of this discussion was to figure out how to best improve the pen and young arms that might not have a place yet or be ready for the rotation contributing in the BP
    In 08 and 09 he started over 40 games combined . In 09 alone he started 31 one games . In 09 he was mainly a starter
    Last edited by Posada20; 10-15-2020 at 11:57 PM.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,082
    Did Joba debut in 07 as a reliever? Yes.
    Did he start a single game in 07, the yr he was called up? No
    So he debut as a reliever before they tried to put him in the rotation.
    Like my original statement said he was brought up as a reliever first to help the team before they transitioned him back to a starter. There have been many excellent starters that have broken into the bigs as relievers

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cold Spring, NY
    Posts
    4,588
    Quote Originally Posted by posada20 View Post
    in 08 and 09 he started over 40 games combined . In 09 alone he started 31 one games . In 09 he was mainly a starter

    disregard!!!
    Last edited by YANKSGUY; 10-16-2020 at 08:17 AM.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,693
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Hand was 16-16 in save opportunities during the regular season. The only game he gave up the lead and blew the save was against us in the playoffs. Cleveland isn't going to pick up his 10m option and in this market he'll be lucky to get 5-6m for 1yr.

    He's certainly not the answer to all our BP problems but he would be a nice addition IMO.

    I wouldn't mind Robertson back on a MILB deal to see if he has anything left after missing the better part of 2 yrs.

    Besides adding a couple pieces to really fix the BP a couple of our young arms are going to have to step up and be effective. Yrs ago both Joba and Hughes were incredibly effective out of the pen before there was a spot for them in the rotation. IMO were going to need a couple of our talented, young arms to step up next yr if were truly going to have an elite BP again
    If Brad Hand is only worth 5-6 million, at best, why the hell are the yankees paying Chapman 16 million a year for multiple years? Heck, get rid of this guy already, and save that money for Hand, and a TORP, whether it be this year or next or both!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    If Brad Hand is only worth 5-6 million, at best, why the hell are the yankees paying Chapman 16 million a year for multiple years? Heck, get rid of this guy already, and save that money for Hand, and a TORP, whether it be this year or next or both!
    Besides that Chapman has a NTC, how much money are u willing to eat to trade him because its incredibly unlikely that any team would pick up his full salary or even a large portion of it in this kind of down market.

    The Yanks might not be stuck with Chapman as our closer but i'd be really surprised if they were able to trade him without eating the majority of his contract

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,693
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Besides that Chapman has a NTC, how much money are u willing to eat to trade him because its incredibly unlikely that any team would pick up his full salary or even a large portion of it in this kind of down market.

    The Yanks might not be stuck with Chapman as our closer but i'd be really surprised if they were able to trade him without eating the majority of his contract
    Perhaps, you are right about the down market. That does change everything, if teams decide to get stingy this winter. I would still throw his name out there if I were cashman. Chapman may accept a trade if it's to the right team.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,044
    I'm not worried about Chappy... just look at the base stats.. in the modern era of closers (so no Rollie Fingers, Goose Gossage types), where the closer comes in for 1 inning to finish things off... closers are notorious for not doing very well UNLESS it is a save opp... and this year, he didn't blow a lead... it was NOT a save opportunity.. it was a tie game... (I don't remember last year if it was a lead or a tie... just going with this year)..Historically, modern closers don't do very well in the tie game situation.. why that is? Well, many better than me have tried to figure it out (Bill Kenney.. Mr. Stats on MLB network a few years back tried).. they just do.. give them a save situation and they nail it down.. give them a NON-SAVE situation (tie game or 4+ run lead) and they just don't perform as well...

    This again points to Aaron The Incompetent not knowing how to use a bullpen...

    If you want to improve this BP... you need a manager who knows what he's doing.. and Aaron Boone clearly does NOT.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    4,487
    Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    I'm not worried about Chappy... just look at the base stats.. in the modern era of closers (so no Rollie Fingers, Goose Gossage types), where the closer comes in for 1 inning to finish things off... closers are notorious for not doing very well UNLESS it is a save opp... and this year, he didn't blow a lead... it was NOT a save opportunity.. it was a tie game... (I don't remember last year if it was a lead or a tie... just going with this year)..Historically, modern closers don't do very well in the tie game situation.. why that is? Well, many better than me have tried to figure it out (Bill Kenney.. Mr. Stats on MLB network a few years back tried).. they just do.. give them a save situation and they nail it down.. give them a NON-SAVE situation (tie game or 4+ run lead) and they just don't perform as well...

    This again points to Aaron The Incompetent not knowing how to use a bullpen...

    If you want to improve this BP... you need a manager who knows what he's doing.. and Aaron Boone clearly does NOT.
    Preaching to the choir man but it’s moot since hal already said Boone will be back next season

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,998
    Only issue for the Steunbrenners might be how to make the most money while being competitive. If the team is not as good any of you going to stop watching ?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    There's nothing you can do about that short of blowing up the entire lineup. The easier problem to fix is the guy blowing 5 saves in 4 years.
    Dont think the entire line up needs to be blown, just tweaked a bit.

    The Chapman thing is complicated, a few of those saves came against the stros and the knowing whats coming cant be under sold. We also got used to Rivera and his greatness.

    Still, the main culprit has been starting pitching, they wont win jack until they get a legit #2. We already see the difference Cole makes but he cant do it alone.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,251
    Quote Originally Posted by NYY09 View Post
    Dont think the entire line up needs to be blown, just tweaked a bit.

    The Chapman thing is complicated, a few of those saves came against the stros and the knowing whats coming cant be under sold. We also got used to Rivera and his greatness.

    Still, the main culprit has been starting pitching, they wont win jack until they get a legit #2. We already see the difference Cole makes but he cant do it alone.
    100%
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,298
    Agree mostly on Chapman but you can't say that he hasn't lost a little something, not a lot but a bit.

    As far as Boone, idk, it seems like it's decision by committee combined with his inexperience and maybe relying too much on analytics. Its like he just doesn't have that "feeling" and just goes on numbers. Either way, he has been underwhelming, and certainly hasnt gotten it done with a team that at least should've made 1 WS in the last 3 yeats. Having said that the real blame should be put on the front office and their "process".

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,044
    No doubt Chappy's lost something... he's no longer Mr. 105 anymore.... still damn good, but he has to realize that the high velocity he's gotten used to having in the tank just ain't there anymore... time to become a pitcher rather than a very hard thrower...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •