Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

5 offseason questions Yankees must answer

5 offseason questions Yankees must answer
    By Bryan Hoch @BryanHoch
    October 12, 2020

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-202...ason-questions
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

1. DJ needs to come back, Tanaka can come back on a cost effective deal, Paxton & Happ are gone.

2. Gary will likely be back but we should be looking for a replacement

3. Severino should be able to slot nicely at 2, if Tanaka is brough back he's a solid 3 and 4-5 can be decided in spring training between German, Montgomery & Deivi. We definitely need help here so I'd love to bring back Tanaka and sign someone out of FA to fill that 2-3 spot.

4. Frazier needs to be the starter at this point, he's very much improved and should only get better with consistent play time.

5. Chapman, Chapman, Chapman... I do feel he folds under pressure too easily but what replacement options are there..

Quote Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
    1. DJ needs to come back, Tanaka can come back on a cost effective deal, Paxton & Happ are gone.

3. Severino should be able to slot nicely at 2, if Tanaka is brough back he's a solid 3 and 4-5 can be decided in spring training between German, Montgomery & Deivi. We definitely need help here so I'd love to bring back Tanaka and sign someone out of FA to fill that 2-3 spot.

4. Frazier needs to be the starter at this point, he's very much improved and should only get better with consistent play time.

5. Chapman, Chapman, Chapman... I do feel he folds under pressure too easily but what replacement options are there..

Yes, DJ is a must.

Sanchez will be back according to Hal.

Montgomery hasn't won me over yet. German will make the rotation I'm sure. Sevy won't be back right away and you never know what you're going to get when he returns. I think Garcia may make the rotation as well, depending if they pick up another starter.

I hope we don't lose Frazier. He's improved his game so much. He really deserves a shot.

I don't have as big a problem with Chapman as some seem to have. Some of you people want a pitcher that never has bad days. They don't exist. I don't want to give him up, but would be okay if they replaced him with Britton and changed his role. It's worth a shot.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

1. DJ will be back, Hal kinda let the cat out there.

2. Gary will get next year as a final shot.

3. If your slotting Sevy in as your #2 it will be another year of not winning a title. The team needs a legit 2, simple as that. Tanaka? Meh, mid rotation starter at best at this point, doesnt move the needle much.

4. Agreed. He needs to be the starting LFer

5. Hader?

If they re-sign Tanaka it can't be for more than 1 year at much reduced salary. With Charlie Morton, Max Scherzer, Noah Syndergaard, justin verlander, corey kluber coming off the books after next season, the last thing you want are huge salaries tying up your rotation.

It's not so much that Chapman folds under pressure, it's just that he's extremely predictable. If he comes in throwing heat, and you're able to foul off enough of his pitches, you will eventually tag him, it seems. That has been his pattern in the post season.

Chapman played a significant role in the Cubs winning the WS, seems like that people dont remember that.... Oh and Altuve hit a pitch that he knew was coming. But yeah, Chapman sucks..

Quote Originally Posted by NYY09 View Post
    Chapman played a significant role in the Cubs winning the WS, seems like that people dont remember that.... Oh and Altuve hit a pitch that he knew was coming. But yeah, Chapman sucks..
    He did, he also blew 2 saves, including one in a pivotal game 7, and needed to be saved himself. I had actually forgotten he had blown another save earlier in that series, which would give him 5 blown saves in 4 years. Awesome.

SO....

Chapman played a significant role in the Cubs winning
    Altuve hit a pitch he knew was coming
    BUT...Chapman sucks.
    I'm confused.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    SO....

Chapman played a significant role in the Cubs winning
    Altuve hit a pitch he knew was coming
    BUT...Chapman sucks.
    I'm confused.
    i was being sarcastic ...

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    He did, he also blew 2 saves, including one in a pivotal game 7, and needed to be saved himself. I had actually forgotten he had blown another save earlier in that series, which would give him 5 blown saves in 4 years. Awesome.
    As I've said before, yes, Chapmans had a rough go of it but I think the offense doesnt get nearly enough blame. How many deciding games has the offense pooped the bed? They just havent gotten it done when it counts.

As I've said before, yes, Chapmans had a rough go of it but I think the offense doesnt get nearly enough blame. How many deciding games has the offense pooped the bed? They just havent gotten it done when it counts.
    1) the Yankees offense is homerun or nothing . If they don’t hit homeruns they don’t score many runs .

2) it’s the playoffs , they have simply run into better pitching . Good pitching beats good hitting

There's nothing you can do about that short of blowing up the entire lineup. The easier problem to fix is the guy blowing 5 saves in 4 years.

Hand was 16-16 in save opportunities during the regular season. The only game he gave up the lead and blew the save was against us in the playoffs. Cleveland isn't going to pick up his 10m option and in this market he'll be lucky to get 5-6m for 1yr.

He's certainly not the answer to all our BP problems but he would be a nice addition IMO.

I wouldn't mind Robertson back on a MILB deal to see if he has anything left after missing the better part of 2 yrs.

Besides adding a couple pieces to really fix the BP a couple of our young arms are going to have to step up and be effective. Yrs ago both Joba and Hughes were incredibly effective out of the pen before there was a spot for them in the rotation. IMO were going to need a couple of our talented, young arms to step up next yr if were truly going to have an elite BP again

Actually joba and Hughes were brought up as starters and then joba was moved to the bullpen as a result of joba rules and the 08 off season where the yanks signed two starting pitchers . Hughes was a starter until he got hurt while I believe he was throwing a no hitter vs the rangers and then moved to the bullpen after he wasn’t very effective as a starter upon returning from the DL. And he wasn’t very good from the pen either which is why the yanks let him go to free agency .

Joba debut as a Yankee was in 07 as a reliever and made 19 appearances and pitched to a 0.38 era. Hughes made 44 regular season relief appearances as a 23 yr old in 09 and was a big part that championship BP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast