Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, Harris, Munnerlyn. Gladney and Dantzler look promising as well.
    My point being, Rhodes was elite for 1-2 years but ultimately fell off (here) because of lack of discipline ( due to coaching). The rest were ultimately average to good.

Now compare that against the picks we have used on DBs? Zimmer shouldnt have the reputation of being a great DB coach. (8 CB picked in top 3 rounds the past decade)

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Well the biggest problem is Zim/Rick won't take a QB knowing they need to win (unless of course they end with the distinct possibility to land Fields or Lawrence). I'd be ok taking Lance later in the first perhaps. Figuring we are going to be in the top 8-10 spots I could see Rick trading down to recoup that second round pick he lost. There is DT and iOL that will likely be available when we pick that I would love to have as well. Hell J'Marr Chase lol. OMG him and JJ would be amazing....ok no can't do that but damn that would be fun.
    I think they will have to do something to address the QB position. Kirk clearly isn't helping them by winning right now and they are both on the hot seat because of it.

Also, unfortunately I think Lance will go in the top 10 so there will most likely be no option to trade back to recoup picks if we want him. We may even need to trade up for him.
    https://orig00.deviantart.net/1dc3/f/2018/078/e/e/cousins_by_matthew998-dc6cc8l.png

Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Well the biggest problem is Zim/Rick won't take a QB knowing they need to win (unless of course they end with the distinct possibility to land Fields or Lawrence). I'd be ok taking Lance later in the first perhaps. Figuring we are going to be in the top 8-10 spots I could see Rick trading down to recoup that second round pick he lost. There is DT and iOL that will likely be available when we pick that I would love to have as well. Hell J'Marr Chase lol. OMG him and JJ would be amazing....ok no can't do that but damn that would be fun.
    I don't think that's true. Honestly, taking a young QB might get them a longer leash. Firing a coach and/or GM a year or two after taking a young QB doesn't make much sense. If their in a position to get a top QB prospect, I think they'll pull the trigger. Having a good, young QB on a cheap contract is the easiest way to win fast in the NFL.

Also, everything I'm seeing on Lance suggests he's going to be a top pick. Probably top 10. He's probably going to crush it at the combine (if it's held) and we all know how teams fall in love with arm talent.
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    But what about when the results have been bad? Sam Bradford, Christian Ponder and Josh Freeman come to mind.
    Sleeves was awesome. He was just unfortunately made of glass.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    True story...

I dont think Cousins is the problem, its Zimmer and most of all Spielman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

Trading a high second round pick for Yannick and then letting him walk the following year is a bad move. If we can trade Cousins we should have plenty of room to sign him. The rest I agree with.
    Oh I agree. It would be a terrible move but I just wasn't sure if we would have room for a Yannick extension, even with Kirk gone but if you think we can, them all for him getting extended.

Exactly. If we pick high enough to get one of Lawrence/Fields/Lance then that QB will have Cook, Thielen, Jefferson, and Irv Smith as his weapons. The OL still needs work but O'Neill and Bradbury are good young pieces and Cleveland maybe he can be good. A quick turnaround is possible.
    That why I think we will end up picking around 7 or later and we will keep Cousins and with that pick we take Wyatt and he solidifies the interior and with a full offseason for the young guys/vets coming back and having Cousins in the same system for a 2nd year we could be like the 49ers last year. A drastic turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    He had such great arm talent.. Really thought he was our guy going forward But his body just couldn't handle the sport. It is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    True story...

I think Kirk is the most responsible but the one thing about Zimmer is that he has always reminded me of a "Lovie Smith" type coach. Good coach, but IMO it just seems like there's something missing. It could be just me but I can't quite put my finger on it. But having said that I don't believe Zimmer or Speilman deserve to go yet.

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    True story...

You donít think Cousins is the problem? Is that a joke?

2020 Vikings Draft:

Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    Oh I agree. It would be a terrible move but I just wasn't sure if we would have room for a Yannick extension, even with Kirk gone but if you think we can, them all for him getting extended.
    Itíll depend on what the cap is set at but trading Cousins will cost 20 million. His cap hit next year is 31 million so that would be 11 million in savings. That right there should be a good chunk of what itíll cost to resign Yannick. Weíll probably cut or restructure Reiff, Rudy, and Barr. Harris more than likely walks. That should be plenty of cap space to sign a draft class and resign Yannick plus a little more for free agency.

2020 Vikings Draft:

You donít think Cousins is the problem? Is that a joke?

No i dont, we cant do better than Cousins unless we get lucky in the draft. Or we trade for the goat, Case Keenum.

If you cant beat them, join them

The biggest problem with Spielman is Cousins though and handicapping us moving forward to keep him around. Before Cousins we had 1 year in the last 3 not making the playoffs and it was because of another overrated QB who is actually pretty similar just more injury prone (not sure if people were serious about Bradford or not but yes that's the one). Teddy got us to the playoffs and a Walsh failure away from advancing while Case got us to the conference championship game.

We need to stop overpaying for statues with solid arms but who can't actually lead a team while constantly folding in bigger moments or dumping off under pressure (Cousins/Bradford) and get a young cheap rookie who can make some plays. We gave up a first for Bradford and it was stupid and we over payed for Cousins multiple times now.

Zimmer has questions too at this point but until we get a franchise QB/GM capable of realizing the obvious it won't matter who the coach is imo. I have been at least semi defending Spielman for a while and can see the argument for one more season but if that's the case it's time to get the right QB now and show you see the issue by getting rid of Cousins/contract. Don't get me started on the oline issues he has continually failed to fix on top of it. If the idea/plan at the end of the season isn't moving on from Cousins and drafting a new QB then I say you move on from Spielman for someone with that plan.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    The biggest problem with Spielman is Cousins though and handicapping us moving forward to keep him around. Before Cousins we had 1 year in the last 3 not making the playoffs and it was because of another overrated QB who is actually pretty similar just more injury prone (not sure if people were serious about Bradford or not but yes that's the one). Teddy got us to the playoffs and a Walsh failure away from advancing while Case got us to the conference championship game.

We need to stop overpaying for statues with solid arms but who can't actually lead a team while constantly folding in bigger moments or dumping off under pressure (Cousins/Bradford) and get a young cheap rookie who can make some plays. We gave up a first for Bradford and it was stupid and we over payed for Cousins multiple times now.

Zimmer has questions too at this point but until we get a franchise QB/GM capable of realizing the obvious it won't matter who the coach is imo. I have been at least semi defending Spielman for a while and can see the argument for one more season but if that's the case it's time to get the right QB now and show you see the issue by getting rid of Cousins/contract. Don't get me started on the oline issues he has continually failed to fix on top of it. If the idea/plan at the end of the season isn't moving on from Cousins and drafting a new QB then I say you move on from Spielman for someone with that plan.
    Itís like you jumped in my brain and read my ideas ...

I actually wish we didn't have a bye this week so they could further evaluate before the trade deadline. I think everyone probably knows what it is at this point but another Loss this week would probably shut the door on the season and turn attention to the trade deadline.

Do you guys think Speilman tries to shop anyone this week? The sudden involvement of Smith Jr. makes me wonder if they have been seeking trade partners for Rudy and getting the ball rolling on integrating him into the roster. For a player drafted in Rd 2 and expected to boost the offense he has been not been utilized until now.

I don't know who could realistically be moved but if the season is lost there are pieces with value on this team.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast