Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
    This is my biggest issue with us keeping Darnold at the moment. No way you can justify paying him 20-25 annually based off what he's shown so far. And if you do pay him that how do you expect to surround him with any talent?
    How would I justify paying Sam that, easy.

If the Jets finish out of the Lawrence & Fields picks, and end up with like the #5 pick in the draft, would you still look to build around Sam?
    Yes, you'd have too.

So you draft top skill players around him.

Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    I've been saying that all along.
    Lawrence would come in on a fresh rookie scale.

Even though some of you wouldn't consider this, it would be fair to Sam to let him rebrand himself elsewhere if the Jets get the #1 pick.
    We ruined our opportunity to raise the pup through Gase, give Sam an op elsewhere while he still has a chance.

If the Jets pass on Lawrence, Sam will have the weight of the football world on his shoulders for anything and everything Lawrence does right.
    I couldn't agree more. I love Sam, but I think we would need to take Lawrence at #1. Hopefully Sam goes to an NFC team and crushes it! Or if we don't get #1, hopefully we get a great coach who gets Sam's full potential out of him, along with Douglas getting him the weapons he has never had and he crushes it for us! Either way, nothing but love for the kid.

This is my biggest issue with us keeping Darnold at the moment. No way you can justify paying him 20-25 annually based off what he's shown so far. And if you do pay him that how do you expect to surround him with any talent?
    I hear what you're saying, but that is where good management (particularly at GM) comes in. Many teams are stacked with talent. You need to draft well, and then figure out how to best manipulate the cap. Tannenbaum used to be good at it....hopefully Douglas is too (or hires a cap guru!)

Quote Originally Posted by lamonster View Post
    Sorry dude, but I disagree with you on TL. As I previously said, I think this guy's floor is a much more accurate Josh Allen. If the guy turns out to be the next Mahomes, how do we look back at this potential opportunity without regret? We all know you need a franchise QB. Sam may still be the answer, but I believe if we wind up picking first, we need to draft Lawrenece. He's the better prospect, and resets the rookie QB salary clock. If we do not pick first, I do not want Fields, I want to keep Darnold and pick the best player available.
    We will end up feeling about the same as we did passing on Mahomes/Watson for a friggin safety that isn't even on the team anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    We will end up feeling about the same as we did passing on Mahomes/Watson for a friggin safety that isn't even on the team anymore.
    Did you forget what had our QB in waiting in Christian Hackenburg? It was soooo obvious to pass on Mahomes and Watson at that point. I just threw up

I couldn't agree more. I love Sam, but I think we would need to take Lawrence at #1. Hopefully Sam goes to an NFC team and crushes it! Or if we don't get #1, hopefully we get a great coach who gets Sam's full potential out of him, along with Douglas getting him the weapons he has never had and he crushes it for us! Either way, nothing but love for the kid.
    Sam will somehow end up in New England and torture us for the next 20 years

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Sorry dude, but I disagree with you on TL. As I previously said, I think this guy's floor is a much more accurate Josh Allen. If the guy turns out to be the next Mahomes, how do we look back at this potential opportunity without regret? We all know you need a franchise QB. Sam may still be the answer, but I believe if we wind up picking first, we need to draft Lawrenece. He's the better prospect, and resets the rookie QB salary clock. If we do not pick first, I do not want Fields, I want to keep Darnold and pick the best player available.

I understand wanting to go that route and I don't think it would be a mistake, by any means.
    I advocated for picking TL and keeping Darnold. Keep TL on the sidelines for a year. Maybe build Sam's value

My point was only that we have so many holes to fill. If you got the Cowboys first along with Seattles, and you trade the number one for 2 more? I was thinking, Brick, Mangold, Pennington, Becht. Obviously we'd want more durability out of the QB spot but that was a hell of a draft.

Ignorance is bliss

I hear what you're saying, but that is where good management (particularly at GM) comes in. Many teams are stacked with talent. You need to draft well, and then figure out how to best manipulate the cap. Tannenbaum used to be good at it....hopefully Douglas is too (or hires a cap guru!)
    My hope is that we are all fools and look back in 2 years at a team with identity and culture
    Then I return to the present moment.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I understand wanting to go that route and I don't think it would be a mistake, by any means.
    I advocated for picking TL and keeping Darnold. Keep TL on the sidelines for a year. Maybe build Sam's value

My point was only that we have so many holes to fill. If you got the Cowboys first along with Seattles, and you trade the number one for 2 more? I was thinking, Brick, Mangold, Pennington, Becht. Obviously we'd want more durability out of the QB spot but that was a hell of a draft.
    It was Abraham, Ellis, Pennington, Becht but yea I knew what you meant and that'd be great to pull off. Question is which teams have 2 1st this year and need a QB so badly they'd give them both up?

It was Abraham, Ellis, Pennington, Becht but yea I knew what you meant and that'd be great to pull off. Question is which teams have 2 1st this year and need a QB so badly they'd give them both up?

Thanks. Yep. But we got Brick and Nick in the same first round, correct? Totally got the years confused.

I believe the Jags are the only team with 2 firsts in need of a QB. I think they would give them up for TL.

Ignorance is bliss

There hasn't been a QB prospect like TL in quite a while. Keep the tank rolling. If we play up to our best ability, we should easily end up with 0 or 1 win max. We can't pass on TL or even Fields if we end up #2.

Everyone talking about Lawrence but Fields is a serious QB prospect too.

Similar to Watson and Wilson in his play, but physically bigger.
    Strong arm too.

Darnold Trade

No one is giving up a Number 1 for Darnold. That's just the way these things work.

Meanwhile, Darnold is still very young and an excellent prospect in the right hands - he's still as good a prospect as Lawrence or Fields who would also look like garbage if they were playing for Gase and the Jets.

You probably won't get the kings ransom you thought for either Lawrence or Fields because teams looking for a QB can play one off against the other. Also, lately it's been getting a lot easier to land stud young QBs in the draft. There's three of four every year. It's not going to be easy to get what you used to for a franchise QB in the draft.

As far as the Cowboys, it wouldn't surprise me if Dallas is better under Dalton. Dalton was a victim of playing with a crappy Bengals team and is vastly underrated. His stint in Dallas will boost his stock tremendously. Meanwhile Dak is tremendously overrated, playing for a good team with lots of weapons and sh--ing the bed whenever a real opponent in a big game comes around.
    Dalton is a better quarterback than Darnold is right now, Dallas won't make that deal.

At the end of the day, if the Jets keep Gase as coach, they will have the number one pick in the draft. Trade it for what you can, get a decent coach, and build some quality around Darnold. If you can get a couple of ones and twos for Lawrence or Fields, do it. If you don't have those extra picks, you can expect those two will be slogging around down there just like Darnold is.

Cap space is a mirage. If you are a good team with cap space, you can overspend on one or two studs to try to put yourself over the top. If you're a bad team, or worse like the Jets, no decent player in his right mind is coming here at anything near a reasonable price. Don't count on cap space and what draft picks the Jets have now to do anything to put reasonable support around Lawrence or Fields. Trade them for more quality to put around Darnols.

And if the Jets are crazy enough to keep Gase around next year, then The GOAT himself would turn into a complete disaster

Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    Everyone talking about Lawrence but Fields is a serious QB prospect too.

Similar to Watson and Wilson in his play, but physically bigger.
    Strong arm too.
    Thoughts about Trey Lance?

Quote Originally Posted by wiley6 View Post
    Thoughts about Trey Lance?
    Not on the level of Lawrence and Fields, and will need to good the clipboard for a year or so.

Physically he has all the gifts, size, arm and can scramble.

I think he's very Jordan Love-ish.

If the heart of your question is, should the Jets unload Sam for him.
    I don't see that happening.

But if he's there day 2, he may be the guy to groom should Sam falter under a new HC.
    I do believe he have more upside than Morgan to be a starter down the road.

With the holes on this team, don't know if the Jets can spare the early pick on a QB to ride the bench though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast