Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Jones didnít gamble and didnít win. Having your franchise QB out for the year and still recovering the year after is not a win.
    It is a win for various reasons, most of which I already spelled out:

It is a win, because Jerry Jones --with the benefit of hindsight-- looks good for not having given Dak an expensive long-term deal, and optics are obviously very important to him.

It is a win, if Jerry Jones can keep Dak long-term: both at all, which was in heavy doubt if Dak had played a successful season on the tag, and on much cheaper terms.

It is a win, if Andy Dalton plays well and gets the Cowboys to the playoffs. He'll also be a lot cheaper long-term.

It is a win, if Andy Dalton fails, the Cowboys receive a high draft pick, and get to select a talented rookie QB.

Conversely, if Dak had "won", i.e. played a successful season on the tag, he either would have cost the Cowboys a lot more, or left for a new team and the Cowboys without a QB, both of which would be "losses" for Jerry Jones. Since neither will now occur, Jerry also won by not losing.

Quote Originally Posted by QB_Eagles View Post
    Wilson also signed his extension a year earlier with a year left on his old deal.

The Cowboys already let Dak play out his 4th round rookie contract.

To argue that they approach his contract extension "fairly" is ridiculous.

Especially if you think Dak is a Top 5 QB, which you and mariner seem to do.

There's no excuse for why Dak wasn't offered Deshaun Watson's deal.
    Again, whoís to say he wasnít offered a Deshaun type deal? Also who said Dak was top 5. Youíre the only one saying that so that must be your opinion or mine. Iíve always said Dak was closer to 10 than top 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most importantly, Cooper and Lawrence got big contracts precisely because they were forced to play out their old deals completely and play on the tag respectively. Zeke held out.

If Dak had played on the tag successfully, he would have cost more than any deal negotiated a year or two earlier.
    Also the sky is blue and water is wet. No **** numbnuts. Thatís what weíve been saying. Dak gambled on himself that he could play through the franchise tags, get paid top 5 money for 2 or 3 years and then sign the super huge contract extension at the end.

Dak literally wanted Deshaun Watson's contract. But that was too expensive for Jerry Jones.

So he gambled... and won.

Nobody can say he overpaid this time. In fact the narrative in the media right now is that letting Dak play on the tag was smart.
    Jerry is that you?

It is a win, because Jerry Jones --with the benefit of hindsight-- looks good for not having given Dak an expensive long-term deal, and optics are obviously very important to him.

It is a win, if Jerry Jones can keep Dak long-term: both at all, which was in heavy doubt if Dak had played a successful season on the tag, and on much cheaper terms.

It is a win, if Andy Dalton plays well and gets the Cowboys to the playoffs. He'll also be a lot cheaper long-term.

It is a win, if Andy Dalton fails, the Cowboys receive a high draft pick, and get to select a talented rookie QB.

Conversely, if Dak had "won", i.e. played a successful season on the tag, he either would have cost the Cowboys a lot more, or left for a new team and the Cowboys without a QB, both of which would be "losses" for Jerry Jones. Since neither will now occur, Jerry also won by not losing.
    The cowboys will be a worse team this year and probably next year. At Jerryís age throwing two years away is not a win.
    Iím sure Jerry still wishes Dak had signed some of the previous offers.
    Whatís going to really surprise you is when Dak eventually signs and the discount will not be what you might expect.
    Again though these were unilateral decisions on Daks part. He wasnít going to sign anything before PM.
    Iím curious how do you see this playing out?
    I realize there are a lot of moving parts here like how Dalton plays and Daks health.
    Iím still thinking he gets signed and paid like Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Again, whoís to say he wasnít offered a Deshaun type deal? Also who said Dak was top 5. Youíre the only one saying that so that must be your opinion or mine. Iíve always said Dak was closer to 10 than top 5.

I didnít follow it super closely but itís my understanding that all of the offers from jerry have been leaked to the media. I think if the cowboys offered deshaun money, jerry would want it out there to show how much money the cowboys are willing to offer and how much money dak is willing to turn down.

Quote Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
    I didnít follow it super closely but itís my understanding that all of the offers from jerry have been leaked to the media. I think if the cowboys offered deshaun money, jerry would want it out there to show how much money the cowboys are willing to offer and how much money dak is willing to turn down.
    We will likely never know.

^^^This guy gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    We know because every contract offer the Jones camp made was leaked to the media.

Lol what a silly argument. Of course both Dak and the franchise gambled. Dak lost the gamble and the Cowboys won it. It's really not that hard to see... Unless you don't view $8M as a gamble.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415