Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Is Ross Atkins the 2nd best GM in Blue Jays History?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 27.27%
  • No

    8 72.73%
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 442
  1. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,919
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Cue Reed with ďyou said Atkins couldnít build a farm!Ē

    Which I never said. Actually I said any one can build a farm when you arenít trying to win at all.

    Iíve been unimpressed with Atkins drafts since he implemented his own scouting staff, but time will tell. Some of these guys could develop and prove me wrong. Imo Pearson and Kirk arenít enough to say heís great at drafting. Yet.
    Defensive much? I wonder why...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    15,199
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Defensive much? I wonder why...
    Because youíre so predictable.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    15,220
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    How has he proved me wrong about anything?

    I was calling for him to sign springer. I never said ďI bet he wonítĒ.
    I said ďif he doesnít, heís screwedĒ.

    Iím betting if he didnít bid 30 mil more then springer would be a met rn. For that, I thank Rogers (which pains me lol).

    Even if Atkins builds a contender I will be overjoyed. Iíve never even said he cannot, just that he hasnít before and I wonder if he can in the ALE. He hasnít proved anything to me yet.

    Seriously, where is the skill. He let an old team die slowly, and then bid 30mil more for 1 FA.
    Bring on the skill Atkins! Nothing would make me happier!
    TBH, you been a naysayer and dooms day prophet since the day these guys took over. Never even willing to give them a chance. You are complaining right now that they overpaid. But if they didn't overpay, they don't land the big fish. Why not give kudos to them for being putting themselves in a position to overpay for a free agent and for recognizing that they needed to overpay to seal the deal?

    Also, they have built the contender. The rebuild is over. Now it's time to put the finishing touches on it.

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    15,220
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Cue Reed with ďyou said Atkins couldnít build a farm!Ē

    Which I never said. Actually I said any one can build a farm when you arenít trying to win at all.

    Iíve been unimpressed with Atkins drafts since he implemented his own scouting staff, but time will tell. Some of these guys could develop and prove me wrong. Imo Pearson and Kirk arenít enough to say heís great at drafting. Yet.
    And here is evidence of exactly what I'm talking about.

    When you say that anyone can build a farm when not trying to win, there's 15-20 clubs whose drafting and development proves your point is wrong.

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,919
    Tzatziki Brigade!!! ASSEMBLE!

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by RR Cool Jay View Post
    He's like #4 for me. If MLB continues with an 8 team playoff from here on out, JP is vindicated in my book. JP would've made the playoffs lots under those rules.
    I respectfully disagree. In 8 years, JP had his 3 best seasons as GM with 87, 86, 86 wins hardly awe inspiring results. Terrible free agent signings, AJ Burnett, BJ Ryan, Cory Koskie, Frank Thomas. Drafting was exceptionally poor, all in all JP was a massive failure.

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Your top point doesnít really stand up since Ricardo would have had 6 post season appearances in todayís world.

    Points 2, 3 and 4 mean nothing without results.

    Number 5 is awesome.

    But, how many GMs have we had? 5-6? With only one two having some real success? The bar isnít really that high. Hard to put him in the top based off of this season. Heís on the cusp of moving ahead of AA, but just not yet.
    He might have had 3 at most, and that's debatable, go back and look at his results.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    ^
    That's very circumstantial though. Ricardi woulda made the playoffs 6 out of 8 times I think if he had 8 team playoffs. And that was when Yankees and Red Sox were dominating.
    Look at the above posts, maybe could have been 3 times but 87, 86, 86 win totals were his best 3 seasons. The other 5 years had no chance.

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    15,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasky05 View Post
    Look at the above posts, maybe could have been 3 times but 87, 86, 86 win totals were his best 3 seasons. The other 5 years had no chance.
    Iím not sure what youíre looking at. Iím saying if the playoff structure was 8 teams during Riccardiís tenure they would have made the playoffs. Itís actually very easy to look up.

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    60,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasky05 View Post
    Look at the above posts, maybe could have been 3 times but 87, 86, 86 win totals were his best 3 seasons. The other 5 years had no chance.
    As mike said, if there were 8 team playoffs druing Ricardis time he would be in the playffs 6/8 times. Granted most would probably be 1st or 2nd round exits given how stacked the Yankees and Red Sox were.

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    As mike said, if there were 8 team playoffs druing Ricardis time he would be in the playffs 6/8 times. Granted most would probably be 1st or 2nd round exits given how stacked the Yankees and Red Sox were.
    No he wouldn't have made the playoffs 6 times. His best 3 years were 87, 86, 86 for wins, so he might have had a chance to qualify maybe 3 times, but the win totals are iffy at best. Then he went 83 wins and less every other season, no chance in hell 83 wins would make the play-offs, not sure where you're getting your info from or how you think 83 wins is playoff qualifying.

    Ricciardi worked for Billy Beane and part of his hire was that he convinced Jays brass that he could build a winner using moneyball that he learned working for Beane. That didn't work out very well. I posted previously a news article detailing how bad he was as the Jays GM. You should read it, google some more if you're not convinced but Ricciardi was NOT a good GM.

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasky05 View Post
    No he wouldn't have made the playoffs 6 times. His best 3 years were 87, 86, 86 for wins, so he might have had a chance to qualify maybe 3 times, but the win totals are iffy at best. Then he went 83 wins and less every other season, no chance in hell 83 wins would make the play-offs, not sure where you're getting your info from or how you think 83 wins is playoff qualifying.

    Ricciardi worked for Billy Beane and part of his hire was that he convinced Jays brass that he could build a winner using moneyball that he learned working for Beane. That didn't work out very well. I posted previously a news article detailing how bad he was as the Jays GM. You should read it, google some more if you're not convinced but Ricciardi was NOT a good GM.
    Check winning %

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    60,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasky05 View Post
    No he wouldn't have made the playoffs 6 times. His best 3 years were 87, 86, 86 for wins, so he might have had a chance to qualify maybe 3 times, but the win totals are iffy at best. Then he went 83 wins and less every other season, no chance in hell 83 wins would make the play-offs, not sure where you're getting your info from or how you think 83 wins is playoff qualifying.

    Ricciardi worked for Billy Beane and part of his hire was that he convinced Jays brass that he could build a winner using moneyball that he learned working for Beane. That didn't work out very well. I posted previously a news article detailing how bad he was as the Jays GM. You should read it, google some more if you're not convinced but Ricciardi was NOT a good GM.

    I think theres a misunderstanding here.

    Under the 8 man playoff rules, the top 2 division leaders automatically get in. Them the next 2 teams with the best record get it. Under those rules, the Jays make the playoffs 6 times I believe.

    Im not saying Ricardi was a good or not a good gm. I was just saying that some achievements are very circumstantial.

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    Check winning %
    I did he was under .500 as GM of the Jays

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasky05 View Post
    I did he was under .500 as GM of the Jays
    I meant with regards to making the expanded play-offs

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •