Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Ross Atkins the 2nd best GM in Blue Jays History?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 27.27%
  • No

8 72.73%
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Read the room dudeÖ

But to answer your question, we are debating who the better GM is out of all the Jays GMís. Itís exactly on subject. Sorry you don't like the content
    I read the title.
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I read the title.
    Did you though?

Did you though?
    Mhmm. But hey, if talking about AAís work on the Braves helps you sleep at night then so be it. I just donít know how it relates to his work in Toronto?

Mhmm. But hey, if talking about AAís work on the Braves helps you sleep at night then so be it. I just donít know how it relates to his work in Toronto?
    Because he did the same thing here (perfect extensions), something we could really use from atkins right now.
    Itís a direct comparison of their skills.

Anything else you need me to hold your hand through? I gotchu son.

Because he did the same thing here (perfect extensions), something we could really use from atkins right now.

He extended rookies and 2nd year players here? I thought he traded all the good ones away?

Regardless, I still donít get how his work on the Braves relates to his time in Toronto. You be reaching.

You are right, we could use some magical extension work.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    You are right, we could use some magical extension work.
    Magical is a stretch. One of the guys he extended has failed to have an OPS north of .800 since being extended. But hey, I guess thatís what happens when you donít know how to handle a team full of young players that was gifted to you.

Magical is a stretch. One of the guys he extended has failed to have an OPS north of .800 since being extended. But hey, I guess thatís what happens when you donít know how to handle a team full of young players that was gifted to you.
    This is easily one of the funniest things you have ever written. ****ing kill me.

I donít even know what youíre talking about.

But, we have Vladdy, Bo, Teoscar, Gurriel that will all need to be extended, traded or let walk in the next couple of years. Itís gonna take some magic to keep everyone while staying within the budget. And then there will be another wave right after that with Kirk, Manoah, etc. Some things will take care of themselves, sure. But Atkins has some work to do in regards to extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I donít even know what youíre talking about.

But, we have Vladdy, Bo, Teoscar, Gurriel that will all need to be extended, traded or let walk in the next couple of years. Itís gonna take some magic to keep everyone while staying within the budget. And then there will be another wave right after that with Kirk, Manoah, etc. Some things will take care of themselves, sure. But Atkins has some work to do in regards to extensions.
    I'm not sure keeping everyone is necessarily the best move. I think this off-season, trading a big right handed bat to balance the lineup makes some sense. I'd be curious what Teoscar and Kirk could land us in the off-season. Perhaps aiming for LH hitters and pitcher. Morena can be called up to fill the catching spot. We'll need to use DH to ease Springer's load as he gets older (which we also expected when we signed the deal). Kirk can catch just fine, but he will have plenty of value on the market.

This is easily one of the funniest things you have ever written. ****ing kill me.
    Just speaking the truth. Itís no coincidence the Jays got a lot better once all the players AA left on the roster were gone.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I'm not sure keeping everyone is necessarily the best move. I think this off-season, trading a big right handed bat to balance the lineup makes some sense. I'd be curious what Teoscar and Kirk could land us in the off-season. Perhaps aiming for LH hitters and pitcher. Morena can be called up to fill the catching spot. We'll need to use DH to ease Springer's load as he gets older (which we also expected when we signed the deal). Kirk can catch just fine, but he will have plenty of value on the market.
    I get the want for a left handed bat but the offence has proven that theyíre fine without them. Trading Kirk would be a colossal mistake. I get that Moreno is exciting but Kirk is literally the best offensive catcher in baseball whoís only improving behind the plate. Right now Kirk leads the team in BA and OBP while being 2nd on the team in OPS. Weíve got Manoah, Gausman and Berrios in the rotation for the foreseeable future with Mitch White being a cheap back end option and Stripling hopefully sticking around. I mean yeah, trading Kirk for a starter could be nice but weíd be creating a massive hole in the lineup in doing that.

Trading Moreno makes the most sense. Heíd get more of a return than Jansen while causing no damage to the Major League club like trading Kirk would. Kirk and Jansen is a great tandem behind the plate. Yes Springer will need more time in the DH spot but that wouldnít be a problem. Prioritize him as the DH by going 50/50. Kirk can catch 100 games while Jansen gets the other 62. Vladdy and Kirk split the other 81 games at DH.

I get the want for a left handed bat but the offence has proven that theyíre fine without them. Trading Kirk would be a colossal mistake. I get that Moreno is exciting but Kirk is literally the best offensive catcher in baseball whoís only improving behind the plate. Right now Kirk leads the team in BA and OBP while being 2nd on the team in OPS. Weíve got Manoah, Gausman and Berrios in the rotation for the foreseeable future with Mitch White being a cheap back end option and Stripling hopefully sticking around. I mean yeah, trading Kirk for a starter could be nice but weíd be creating a massive hole in the lineup in doing that.

Trading Moreno makes the most sense. Heíd get more of a return than Jansen while causing no damage to the Major League club like trading Kirk would. Kirk and Jansen is a great tandem behind the plate. Yes Springer will need more time in the DH spot but that wouldnít be a problem. Prioritize him as the DH by going 50/50. Kirk can catch 100 games while Jansen gets the other 62. Vladdy and Kirk split the other 81 games at DH.
    I think the hole that is created in the lineup can be filed by Moreno plus the lefty bat you get. He is probably off the table now, but the Kirk (plus others) in a deal for Jose Ramirez that was rumoured this off-season would be an example. I also think adding a really good young starter (Pablo Lopez?) should be targeted this off-season. (I'd love to target Jazz Chisholm alongside a Marlins pitcher in a huge deal, but not sure why Marlins would deal Chisholm unless his injury is a long term concern).

We don't know if Stipling will be back and I'm not satisfied with giving Mitch White a guaranteed starting spot next year. Happy he is insulating us from Kikuchi right now, but I think we need to aim for higher upside and depth with our starters.

You are right that Moreno could be used to accomplish filling these needs though. My preference is just defense over offense from the catching position. I am salivating at the idea of watching Moreno catch for the next 7-8 years in a Jays uniform. I absolutely love watching elite defensive catcher work.
    Last edited by pebloemer; 08-21-2022 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I think the hole that is created in the lineup can be filed by Moreno plus the lefty bat you get. He is probably off the table now, but the Kirk (plus others) in a deal for Jose Ramirez that was rumoured this off-season would be an example. I also think adding a really good young starter (Pablo Lopez?) should be targeted this off-season. (I'd love to target Jazz Chisholm alongside a Marlins pitcher in a huge deal, but not sure why Marlins would deal Chisholm unless his injury is a long term concern).

We don't know if Stipling will be back and I'm not satisfied with giving Mitch White a guaranteed starting spot next year. Happy he is insulating us from Kikuchi right now, but I think we need to aim for higher upside and depth with our starters.

You are right that Moreno could be used to accomplish filling these needs though. My preference is just defense over offense from the catching position. I am salivating at the idea of watching Moreno catch for the next 7-8 years in a Jays uniform. I absolutely love watching elite defensive catcher work.
    I was operating under the assumption that a potential Kirk deal would be for an arm. Trading Kirk for a position player doesnít make a whole lot of sense to me to be honest. Unless of course youíre getting an MVP calibre player in JRam but like you said, heís probably off the table.

A young arm with control like Pablo would be good but him alone wouldnít be enough of a return for Kirk. Throwing Jazz into the mix could spice things up though. As for Morenoís offence, dude hits singles. He has a great eye like Kirk but heís yet to prove that he can actually drive the ball at AAA.

I play catcher in my mens league so Iím right with you in watching a good defensive catcher. Itís also why I want to keep Kirk. Heís quietly become an elite receiver behind the plate ranking in the 86th percentile when it comes to framing. His pop time is weak but he has an absolute cannon for an arm which has allowed him to stay just above league average for gunning down runners. When you have pitchers who like to nibble at the corners (Gausman, Stripling and hopefully Ryu next year) having a good receiver is a huge part in their success. I donít think Moreno has caught enough at the MLB level to officially register but Kirk is amongst the best in the league when it comes to framing.

On another note, Atkinsí deadline moves have proven to be incredibly beneficial so far. Acquiring Mitch White allowed Kikuchi to be moved to the pen, Bass and Pop have stabilized the pen allowing guys like Cimber and Garcia to be used much less than before.

Atkins pulled off some ninja moves.

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast