Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Ross Atkins the 2nd best GM in Blue Jays History?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 27.27%
  • No

8 72.73%
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
    He could probably raise his value going to Korea and being a DH.

Tbh let's look at some things.

Jose Berrios vs Marcus Stroman = Do we really want either of these pitchers right now? At the time keeping Berrios was the right move, but yeesh, not looking pretty atm

Grade D+ = I think at the very least, Berrios will have a bounce back season next year if he doesn't correct himself this year. Looking forwards, Berrios should get better simply because he's been horrible so far, he is really underperforming his career norms.

Letting Robbie Ray and Marcus Semien go.

Robbie had a career year last year as did Semien.

Seattle got a decent pitcher with Ray overall but nothing to write home about.

The Rangers were idiots.

Grade = A. Obviously keeping Ray might have helped, but not at his price. As for Semien, he'd make our offense even worse this early on. He never going to come close to hitting 45 home runs again and is basically signed for an All Star contract for 1 or 2 years of production at age 31. What were the Rangers thinking? Say what you want about Atkins, there are much worse GMs out there. Looking forwards, Robbie is producing what he usually does and Semien has not only fallen down to earth, he's left a giant crater. Semien should get better as the season goes on, but to his career norms, nowhere to last year.

Signing Kevin Gaussman for 5 years

Grade = B. He's been awesome and is currently basically repeating Ray's contract year last year AFTER he signed the contract. The reason it's not in the A territory is because he's 31 years old on a 5 year deal. However I can't deny he's been a win thus far as he along with Manoah is keeping this team afloat as our offense is very much underperforming. Looking forwards, he might regress some or this could well be a career year.

Jays trade for Matt Chapman

C = After a bit of viewing, we got him for his glove. Of course, while we didn't get him for his bat he and a host of other batters are underperforming here atm. Looking forwards, he should get better here, but not by too much I think.

Overall i'd give the off season a B-. There was more not overreacting and giving huge contracts to career contract years, which raises the grade by itself.
    Until they prove the fans wrong again

You’d be hard pressed to find a pitcher who had a year like Gausman did signing anything less than a 5 year deal. David Price, Yu Darvish, Patrick Corbin, Stephen Strasburg, Jacob DeGrom, Gerrit Cole, Chris Sale, Zack Wheeler and Robbie Ray all got 5 or more years while being between 29-31. The only outliers are Scherzer and Bauer who got ridiculously large paydays for 3 year deals.

Also D+ on Berrios?

I get that he’s off to a bad start but this is a pitcher who’s proven he can make 30+ starts a year with a mid 3 ERA who hasn’t even entered his prime yet. We’re paying him less than 20 mil a year on average until the age of 34.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    Tbh let's look at some things.

Jose Berrios vs Marcus Stroman = Do we really want either of these pitchers right now? At the time keeping Berrios was the right move, but yeesh, not looking pretty atm

Grade D+ = I think at the very least, Berrios will have a bounce back season next year if he doesn't correct himself this year. Looking forwards, Berrios should get better simply because he's been horrible so far, he is really underperforming his career norms.

Letting Robbie Ray and Marcus Semien go.

Robbie had a career year last year as did Semien.

Seattle got a decent pitcher with Ray overall but nothing to write home about.

The Rangers were idiots.

Grade = A. Obviously keeping Ray might have helped, but not at his price. As for Semien, he'd make our offense even worse this early on. He never going to come close to hitting 45 home runs again and is basically signed for an All Star contract for 1 or 2 years of production at age 31. What were the Rangers thinking? Say what you want about Atkins, there are much worse GMs out there. Looking forwards, Robbie is producing what he usually does and Semien has not only fallen down to earth, he's left a giant crater. Semien should get better as the season goes on, but to his career norms, nowhere to last year.

Signing Kevin Gaussman for 5 years

Grade = B. He's been awesome and is currently basically repeating Ray's contract year last year AFTER he signed the contract. The reason it's not in the A territory is because he's 31 years old on a 5 year deal. However I can't deny he's been a win thus far as he along with Manoah is keeping this team afloat as our offense is very much underperforming. Looking forwards, he might regress some or this could well be a career year.

Jays trade for Matt Chapman

C = After a bit of viewing, we got him for his glove. Of course, while we didn't get him for his bat he and a host of other batters are underperforming here atm. Looking forwards, he should get better here, but not by too much I think.

Overall i'd give the off season a B-. There was more not overreacting and giving huge contracts to career contract years, which raises the grade by itself.
    It's been like 6 starts. Premature on Berrios and Gausman. Berrios is a career 4 ERA innings eater with mid 3 ERA potential. Gausman had an elite 1st half last year and subpar 2nd half.

Chapman trade was a good deal considering we traded nothing away and was still like 2 WAR despite a bad offensive season last year.

I think they do Cleveland 2.0. Did some good moves but a few bad ones mixed in. Many good nights. Just enough not to win.

Well its a lot easier to make the playoffs which they are currently projected to make so once they get it, its a whole new ballgame. Just have to be hot.

Not really Jays or Atkins related but AA locked up another dude to an amazing extension. Riley.

Gotta hand it to him it’s one of his major strengths.

I don't know most the players we acquired today. But Jays Brass have done good job past deadlines. Berrios, Cimber last year. Walker, Stripling year before

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Not really Jays or Atkins related but AA locked up another dude to an amazing extension. Riley.

Gotta hand it to him it’s one of his major strengths.
    How did he draft him when he was running the Jays tho?
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    How did he draft him when he was running the Jays tho?
    ?

You gotta admit Reed… a Jays/braves finals would be super exciting for you and I lol. Imagine the drama in our hearts bahaha!

You gotta admit Reed… a Jays/braves finals would be super exciting for you and I lol. Imagine the drama in our hearts bahaha!
    I only started using the same standards on AA that you use on Atkins to show how silly you are. Sure, a Braves/Jays WS would be fun. Just as long as it isn’t the Padres.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I only started using the same standards on AA that you use on Atkins to show how silly you are. Sure, a Braves/Jays WS would be fun. Just as long as it isn’t the Padres.
    No idea what you’re talking about but meh. Yeah it would be exciting. Why wouldn’t you want to face the Padres?

No idea what you’re talking about but meh. Yeah it would be exciting. Why wouldn’t you want to face the Padres?

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast