Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Ross Atkins the 2nd best GM in Blue Jays History?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 27.27%
  • No

8 72.73%
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    This is kinda silly though because they didn't really miss the post season before.

They made the playoffs after AA left then started to rebuild and then made the playoffs again (technically) last year. (even though yes, they really didn't earn it, just kinda were in a fortunate position).

Both Sharp and Ross are signed for the long haul.

I think this season while the jays are trending upwards there are not sky high expectations, however next season and then on will tell us how things will play out as there will be higher expectations and people will be expecting to make the playoffs, especially with the moves most recently made.

If the Jays flounder around .500 like so many Jays teams have post Gillick then yeah.
    Yeah thatís what I was referring to. Should have been more clear. Imo it would be absurd to release him this offseason, but if we miss again next season then I would want to bring in a closer. If we win then all of the mistakes get forgiven. If we miss again the the focus goes on why me are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Yeah thatís what I was referring to. Should have been more clear. Imo it would be absurd to release him this offseason, but if we miss again next season then I would want to bring in a closer. If we win then all of the mistakes get forgiven. If we miss again the the focus goes on why me are missing.
    To be honest, this is one of those Jays season where people are going to scratch their heads and wonder how they didn't make the playoffs (it's still a long shot they get in). A monster offense and now a top 10 pitching staff and they are still easily underperforming their run differential.
    Until they prove the fans wrong again

To be honest, this is one of those Jays season where people are going to scratch their heads and wonder how they didn't make the playoffs (it's still a long shot they get in). A monster offense and now a top 10 pitching staff and they are still easily underperforming their run differential.
    I don't really think it's that much of a long shot. Yankees SP sucks and now Cole is out for at least two starts and the Sox have a tough schedule with a lot of important players on Covid-19 while we have a relatively easier schedule.

If we win tonight and Boston wins, we are 1.5 GB of the second wild card and 2.0 GB the first wild card. If we win and the Sox lose, we are 1.5 GB of the first wild card and 1.0 GB second. Granted, we have to win the games in hand but it seems we control our own destiny

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kenny Powders; 09-08-2021 at 08:51 PM.

Itís the glue. We need the glue.
    In this case itís a BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    I don't really think it's that much of a long shot. Yankees SP sucks and now Cole is out for at least two starts and the Sox have a tough schedule with a lot of important players on Covid-19 while we have a relatively easier schedule.

If we win tonight and Boston wins, we are 1.5 GB of the second wild card and 2.0 GB the first wild card. If we win and the Sox lose, we are 1.5 GB of the first wild card and 1.0 GB second. Granted, we have to win the games in hand but it seems we control our own destiny

Iím riding this wave of optimism too, but itís hard to come back. We need all the teams around us to be worse so Iím not holding my breath. Would be easier if we were going for the division and only needed to worry about the team ahead of us.

Iím riding this wave of optimism too, but itís hard to come back. We need all the teams around us to be worse so Iím not holding my breath. Would be easier if we were going for the division and only needed to worry about the team ahead of us.
    I honestly feel we are in the best position of the 5 teams fighting for the two wildcard spots. Boston has a ton of guys on COVID protocol ATM and have a tough schedule and the Yankees are down their ace for at least a start or two and if we think our BP has some question marks, we shouldn't look at theirs with any sort admiration. Granted, a few weeks ago we looked dead in the water and that could happen again but as long as we get the SP and hitting we've been getting the last few weeks, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be hosting the WC game

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    I honestly feel we are in the best position of the 5 teams fighting for the two wildcard spots. Boston has a ton of guys on COVID protocol ATM and have a tough schedule and the Yankees are down their ace for at least a start or two and if we think our BP has some question marks, we shouldn't look at theirs with any sort admiration. Granted, a few weeks ago we looked dead in the water and that could happen again but as long as we get the SP and hitting we've been getting the last few weeks, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be hosting the WC game

Yeah I just try not to get too crazy with baseball. So much luck. Itís such a .500 sport.

When I first started watching baseball I thought batting average was like 90% luck until I watched ichiro.

Iím so ready for some playoff baseball though. Havenít felt true baseball excitement/anxiety since 2015.

Yeah I just try not to get too crazy with baseball. So much luck. Itís such a .500 sport.

When I first started watching baseball I thought batting average was like 90% luck until I watched ichiro.

Iím so ready for some playoff baseball though. Havenít felt true baseball excitement/anxiety since 2015.
    I swear it seems like it's forever with rare exceptions.

Orioles Suck
    Jays .500 team
    Rays, Yankees, Red Sox musical chairs on the other 3 positions.

It always felt like no matter what happened, the Jays would either be a bit above or a bit below .500.

MLB needs to realign divisions, revise schedules and expand playoffs. Got frustrated whenever we missed the playoffs in the 2000s despite having some pretty good teams but we faced Boston/Yankees (when they were spending big money) so much that it affected our record just by a few games.

Darth Atkins is on his way to becoming the #1 GM soon enough. #2 is a no brainer at this point.
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Darth Atkins is on his way to becoming the #1 GM soon enough. #2 is a no brainer at this point.
    I agree, AA gave us the all-world Vladdy, but the rest of the roster is Atkins construction, when the expected w/l says we should have 86 wins, that's an elite team. Too bad we gave away so many games this season. Nice 5 spot in the first to start today

If they make the playoffs this year, then he should probably be 2nd. If we dont then its probably still arguable given he wpuldnt have much separating him from other GMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    If they make the playoffs this year, then he should probably be 2nd. If we dont then its probably still arguable given he wpuldnt have much separating him from other GMs.
    Making the playoffs in 3/6 years is better than any GM in Jays history. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    While the Jays overall do not have much of a celebrated history in accolades, the #1 GM blows away any of the others by a landmile.

If Atkins comes anywhere close to Pat Gillick, he'll be so far ahead of AA it isn't even funny.

This is how far Gillick is ahead of pretty much every Blue Jays GM. (Gillick is also arguably in front of Masai as well)

Atkins needs to win 3 World Series as a Blue Jays GM to be the best Blue Jays GM of all time. A feat I do hope he accomplishes of course.

Right away i'll give him credit he's ahead of Gord Ash and most likely J.P. Ricciardi as well.

However the jump from JP to AA is massive and the jump from AA to Gillick is even more massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasky05 View Post
    I agree, AA gave us the all-world Vladdy, but the rest of the roster is Atkins construction, when the expected w/l says we should have 86 wins, that's an elite team. Too bad we gave away so many games this season. Nice 5 spot in the first to start today
    Itís not only the current roster. Itís also the farm that manages to stay at an elite level after prospects continuously get plucked from it. The revamping of the player development department was huge and has paid massive dividends. Much like how Masai created the 905 with the Raps. Itís a good thing Atkins/Shapiro immediately focused on that in 2016 as opposed to keeping an aging team alive. Itís a big part of why the team is as good as it is now.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast