Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Farm for a Star

With all the talk about Soto or Ohtani good to take a look at how this has worked out for Jays in past.

How did it work out for Toronto in past trading multiple prospects for star?

The Jays traded Halladay for 3 top prospects in 2010. I remember Keith Law coming on FAN590 days after the trade saying Drabek was projected to be a front of rotation pitcher. TDA was suppose solid major league catcher. The other guy was suppose to be real good hitter. Name escapes me now. Then we gave Phillies 7 million. Which back then was significantly bit of change. It never worked out. Trade heavily favoured the Phillies.

On other side of coin in 2015 we cleaned out our farm for David Price, Tulo and some bullpen pieces. This trade also made so Jays could dump Reyes contract. Jeff Hoffman was suppose to be a future #1 starting pitcher. Castro was also another young arm. Daniel Norris went in Price deal. He was projected to be solid starting pitcher. Boyd was in that deal also and he went on to decent MLB career.

Those two trades lite a fire in Toronto, first playoff appearance in 23 years. Although Boyd, Norris, Castro, Crawford all pitched in MLB none achieved what was projected of them. I think everybody approved this traded

In both deals it favoured trading the farm for a star.
    Last edited by Robbie; 07-27-2022 at 03:09 PM.

Ohtani is someone I would sell the farm for. What a weapon he would be in the playoffs. One roster spot for a TORP, middle of the order bat, and a lights out closer (in the playoffs, anything goes).

For me, the specifics of the deal matter a lot. None of the guys we dealt (or acquired in the Halladay example) were elite MLB prospects. They were fine prospects, but not elite. Moreno seems universally considered a Top 5 prospect by scouts right now for example. No one in the Price/Tulo summer met that description. There are also examples on the flip side (ie. Dickey for Syndergaard/D'Arnaud). I remember talks of Christian Yelich. Back to back MVP caliber seasons. The talk when he was on the market is we'd have to give Vladdy to get him. Thank goodness we didn't. You see deals like Archer for Glasnow, Meadows and Baz too, that can make you cringe.

"Sell the farm" is a dangerous term for me. Players like Soto and Ohtani though are transcendent talents IMO. I'd be willing to offer a lot. But there has to be a limit in any deal. In an Ohtani deal, I'd assume Kirk would have to be in the discussion (we need to bat Ohtani at DH which could get cluttered otherwise) instead of Moreno. Would I center an offer around Kirk, Tiedemann and other prospects? Sure. Center around Bichette? Sure. For Soto, there is 3 very good offensive players playing OF positions already in Gurriel, Springer and Hernandez. I imagine Hernandez or Gurriel are probably a part of the package going the other way.

In both of those guys, there are probably MLB caliber player involved in discussions too. Which is totally fine. But at the end of the day, the value has to make sense for where we are. Depending on the ultimate cost and what LAA or the Nationals are looking for, something could make sense...

Sportsnet had trade feature on last night. Soto is very much in play and expects him to be traded by Monday or Tuesday. Toronto is one of about ten teams in on him. Nationals are asking for 5 players in return. A combination of three top prospects and two major league proven players. Washington has told teams they want best possible return they can get. Personally, I doubt they deal him to Mets where in same division. Mets are reportly big on him.

Castillo is available also. Reds GM is reported to be asking for over payment as he is in no hurry to trade him.

A's Montas is being shipped around. No mention of the ask for him. Lopez of the Marlins is available also.

A number of back end of bullpen arms are available. Including Fullmer of the Tigers and Soto also. Barlow and Staumont of Royals are available. Arizona are shopping Ian Kennedy and Melanson. Colorado are looking to move Baird. Jays are reportily in on them.
    Last edited by Robbie; 07-28-2022 at 10:51 AM.

Pablo Lopez would definitely be an exciting arm for the next 2 and a half years. I feel like that would probably cost Moreno or Kirk though.

Other than that, a lot of those BP arms would certainly help a ton.

You just never know with prospects - for Soto or Ohtani I empty the farm and make the trade

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    You just never know with prospects - for Soto or Ohtani I empty the farm and make the trade
    Doesn't sound like Soto be coming here. Many teams in on him. Offs are slim

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Doesn't sound like Soto be coming here. Many teams in on him. Offs are slim
    Did you see the rumoured SD package? Abrams, Gore, Morejon, Hassell and Mears. I don't think we'll be competing with that if it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Did you see the rumoured SD package? Abrams, Gore, Morejon, Hassell and Mears. I don't think we'll be competing with that if it is true.
    I seen it. We'd be looking at something like Bo, Moreno, Tiedemann, Orelvis type of package.

No thansk for me

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Orelvis Martinez dropped off the top 100? BA's top 100

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    I seen it. We'd be looking at something like Bo, Moreno, Tiedemann, Orelvis type of package.

No thansk for me

Yeah no way.

I would trade the specs for ohtani, but I would not even include Bo in a package for him.
    We arenít going to get ahead by creating new holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post

No thansk for me

Me too. Rarely ever do top 10 specs get traded. So I would do our 2-5 guys other than Moreno plus a lotto ticket for either Soto or Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    Orelvis Martinez dropped off the top 100? BA's top 100
    He must be having bad season

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    No, but listening to New York radio both Mets and Yankees are in on him heavily. That many bidding high, I know odds of Soto coming here are close to nil.

WFAN saying Yankees are in on Castillo. Asking price is their 2nd best prospect plus another prospect in Yankees top 5. Yankees don't want to part with their best prospect

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast