Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Is Ross Atkins the 2nd best GM in Blue Jays History?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 27.27%
  • No

    8 72.73%
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 297
  1. #241
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,805
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Pretty hard to address the core when they're all over 30 and/or making north of 20 mil a year. All thanks to this guy who you seem to think was an amazing GM lol.
    Hard for you. Hard for Atkins. Not hard for GMís who have experience running contending teams.

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,805
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Pretty hard to address the core when they're all over 30 and/or making north of 20 mil a year. All thanks to this guy who you seem to think was an amazing GM lol.
    But wait. Are you saying Alford, SRF, Greene, tellez etc. Had no trade value in the offseason 2016? Or just that Atkins made a smart decision holding onto them?

    Before you reply - remember that Ben Zobrist was offered 1 for 1 tellez a few months prior. He was our 5th ranked prospect in 2016, lower in 2015.

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,184
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    But wait. Are you saying Alford, SRF, Greene, tellez etc. Had no trade value in the offseason 2016? Or just that Atkins made a smart decision holding onto them?

    Before you reply - remember that Ben Zobrist was offered 1 for 1 tellez a few months prior. He was our 5th ranked prospect in 2016, lower in 2015.
    Just what we needed. A 35 year old Ben Zobrist in the 1st year of a 4 year 56 million dollar deal. I guess that means Tellez had value?

    Here comes the pivot!

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    58,714
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    But wait. Are you saying Alford, SRF, Greene, tellez etc. Had no trade value in the offseason 2016? Or just that Atkins made a smart decision holding onto them?

    Before you reply - remember that Ben Zobrist was offered 1 for 1 tellez a few months prior. He was our 5th ranked prospect in 2016, lower in 2015.
    Zobrist was great but I wouldnt have made that trade given he was a rental and was a FA in the offseason. Still won WS MVP so one of those players providing value for 2 years before being bad 2 years after (though he was a good player in 2016 and 2018 and bad in 2017 and 2019).
    Last edited by Raps18-19 Champ; 05-09-2021 at 10:26 PM.

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,184
    Oh my bad. A 35 year old rental lol.

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,805
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Oh my bad. A 35 year old rental lol.
    Yeah you donít wish Greene or Alford or SRF were moved for a rental? A core addition? K. Well gj on grilli I guess lol.
    What a stud.

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,184
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Yeah you donít wish Greene or Alford or SRF were moved for a rental? A core addition? K. Well gj on grilli I guess lol.
    What a stud.
    Lol thereís that pivot.

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,805
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    But wait. Are you saying Alford, SRF, Greene, tellez etc. Had no trade value in the offseason 2016? Or just that Atkins made a smart decision holding onto them?

    Before you reply - remember that Ben Zobrist was offered 1 for 1 tellez a few months prior. He was our 5th ranked prospect in 2016, lower in 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Yeah you donít wish Greene or Alford or SRF were moved for a rental? A core addition? K. Well gj on grilli I guess lol.
    What a stud.
    Whereís the pivot? ^^^

    Really grasping at straws. Your trolling skills are not as sharp as they once were.

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,184
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Whereís the pivot? ^^^

    Really grasping at straws. Your trolling skills are not as sharp as they once were.
    I disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,805
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I disagree.
    Well at least you are still the master at avoiding questions and calling yourself the ďwinnerĒ lol.

    Never grow up Reed! Living in never never land

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    25,184
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Well at least you are still the master at avoiding questions and calling yourself the ďwinnerĒ lol.

    Never grow up Reed! Living in never never land
    Okay

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Shore
    Posts
    12,479
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Imo. - you give that team to a competent GM and we are contenders right now. Look at the team Theo inherited with the Cubs. A MUCH worse situation. But he had the balls to tear it down and built a tsunami of top specs on the same timeline.
    I think he had 2 or 3 assets? And he turned all of them into contributors for their championship run.

    This slow trickle of specs and over paying to fill spots in FA is a very tough way to build a contender. Say we are a contender next year - how do you then develop the specs at the ML level? A contender shouldnít have question marks starting. A contender cannot give away 1500 ABís to see what we have in a few guys.

    Iím not saying he canít find a way, itís just not how I would have liked it to be done. I wish him luck because I want a damn parade!
    Sure but Theo may be the best GM of all time so that's really an unfair comparison in my opinion. He was probably given the OK to tear the club down, something I'm.not entirely certain Shatkins were afforded. Rogers wanted butts in the seats and the best way to do that was patching together a rotation to go with all the aging veterans.

    As for overpaying for FA, what route do you expect them to take. Trade away all the specs for 30+ year old players who are going to be expensive? That's a good way to get us in the hole AA got us in...no farm and a bunch of old overpriced veterans. I'd much rather spend only money (and a comp pick) and sign a FA. And to be fair, the Ryu deal looks good, maybe a year to long but that's ok. The Semien deal is a steal and the Springer deal is still too early to be judged but any time you have a chance to get the best hitter available on the FA market...you do it. I really have a hard time understanding your line of thinking on this one.

    Plenty of contenders have question marks starting. You obviously don't want too many but just take a look at the Rays line up from last year and if we are a contender next year, I'm not really sure how many question marks(prospects we will have in the every day line up). Maybe Manoah, SWR and Martin but I fully expect Manoah and probably SWR to get a cup of coffee this year. It's not ideal, but I'd take either one of them.on a contenderover guys like Dickey or Kevin Pillar. But that's just me.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Sure but Theo may be the best GM of all time so that's really an unfair comparison in my opinion. He was probably given the OK to tear the club down, something I'm.not entirely certain Shatkins were afforded. Rogers wanted butts in the seats and the best way to do that was patching together a rotation to go with all the aging veterans.

    As for overpaying for FA, what route do you expect them to take. Trade away all the specs for 30+ year old players who are going to be expensive? That's a good way to get us in the hole AA got us in...no farm and a bunch of old overpriced veterans. I'd much rather spend only money (and a comp pick) and sign a FA. And to be fair, the Ryu deal looks good, maybe a year to long but that's ok. The Semien deal is a steal and the Springer deal is still too early to be judged but any time you have a chance to get the best hitter available on the FA market...you do it. I really have a hard time understanding your line of thinking on this one.

    Plenty of contenders have question marks starting. You obviously don't want too many but just take a look at the Rays line up from last year and if we are a contender next year, I'm not really sure how many question marks(prospects we will have in the every day line up). Maybe Manoah, SWR and Martin but I fully expect Manoah and probably SWR to get a cup of coffee this year. It's not ideal, but I'd take either one of them.on a contenderover guys like Dickey or Kevin Pillar. But that's just me.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I think you are taking what Iím saying out of context. I would have signed ryu, and Iím the guy that was saying all offseason ďspringer or bustĒ.

    But imo it isnít an amazing job by a GM to overpay by 50% from the next bidder. If Atkins gets bonus points for anything in that - itís convincing Rogers to spend that money. Iím not saying Atkins ****ed up signing those guys - just giving due credit where credit is due.

    On the whole though - Iím just saying ďIím not saying he canít find a way, itís just not how I would have liked it to be doneĒ. Which I think is fair especially when providing examples of different methods that I would have preferred, and explanations of why I would have preferred them.

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Shore
    Posts
    12,479
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I think you are taking what Iím saying out of context. I would have signed ryu, and Iím the guy that was saying all offseason ďspringer or bustĒ.

    But imo it isnít an amazing job by a GM to overpay by 50% from the next bidder. If Atkins gets bonus points for anything in that - itís convincing Rogers to spend that money. Iím not saying Atkins ****ed up signing those guys - just giving due credit where credit is due.

    On the whole though - Iím just saying ďIím not saying he canít find a way, itís just not how I would have liked it to be doneĒ. Which I think is fair especially when providing examples of different methods that I would have preferred, and explanations of why I would have preferred them.
    Sure, but I think we disagree on the best way to build a contender. I'm in the boat of develop your prospects and compliment them FA and not in the boat of trading prospects for proven MLB players. I get that's just a difference of opinion but I would rather sign George Springer and lose a pick then trade a boatload of specs for him, but that's just me.

    You really didn't provide examples. You provided one example that was undertaken by the best GM of this generation and potentially of all time. I mean, the Blue Jays under the previous FO is an example of a failed attempt at reading the farm for overaged and overpriced players and not getting to the promise land.

    Not really following your comment about having to pay by 50% over the next bidder. From what I read, the Mets offered 6/120 while we offered 6/150. When you take into account the taxes and having to cross the border on the reg, its probably not that much different. And I disagree that Atkins doesn't deserve credit for signing guys like Ryu, Springer and even Semien. When was the last time a FA of that magnitude was signed by the Jays? Burnett? Clemens? I mean that was always the knock on the Jays, they couldn't land big FA. They landed arguably the second best pitcher and best hitter in back to back years. And while you credit Rogers for allowing him to spend the money, he's the one who got the organization in this spot by maintaining excellent payroll flexibility, something they still have even after signing Springer and Ryu.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  15. #255
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Sure, but I think we disagree on the best way to build a contender. I'm in the boat of develop your prospects and compliment them FA and not in the boat of trading prospects for proven MLB players. I get that's just a difference of opinion but I would rather sign George Springer and lose a pick then trade a boatload of specs for him, but that's just me.

    You really didn't provide examples. You provided one example that was undertaken by the best GM of this generation and potentially of all time. I mean, the Blue Jays under the previous FO is an example of a failed attempt at reading the farm for overaged and overpriced players and not getting to the promise land.

    Not really following your comment about having to pay by 50% over the next bidder. From what I read, the Mets offered 6/120 while we offered 6/150. When you take into account the taxes and having to cross the border on the reg, its probably not that much different. And I disagree that Atkins doesn't deserve credit for signing guys like Ryu, Springer and even Semien. When was the last time a FA of that magnitude was signed by the Jays? Burnett? Clemens? I mean that was always the knock on the Jays, they couldn't land big FA. They landed arguably the second best pitcher and best hitter in back to back years. And while you credit Rogers for allowing him to spend the money, he's the one who got the organization in this spot by maintaining excellent payroll flexibility, something they still have even after signing Springer and Ryu.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Well I only minimized the credit for signing springer. My only critisizim for signing Ryu has been his age. Doesnít align, but at least itís a short term commitment.

    Also never suggested taking the AA approach with this rebuild - unless youíre referring to trading some meh prospects in the top 100 to bolster our playoff run in 2016. Definitely I think that should have been done and I donít understand the argument against it. Perhaps you can elaborate on that because I donít understand why (in hindsight) you would be against that. Unless you loved the prospects for some reason.

    I can give more examples of complete tear downs leading to great teams with extended windows if you think only Epstein has the ability to do it:
    Houston
    TB
    Cubs
    Royals

    The rangers, cards, and Indians did it fairly recently too, though the rangers and Indians couldnít sustain it or win a championship.

    ď Following a disappointing 2010 season, the Cleveland Indians missed the playoffs three years in a row. General Manager Mark Shapiro moved up to Vice President, and Chris Antonetti came in as the new GM.

    The Indians went in a new direction, trading Shin-Shoo Choo for Trevor Bauer and Bryan Shaw; calling up prospects such as Carlos Santana, Michael Brantley, and Carlos Carrasco; and making smart draft picks such as Francisco Lindor, Tyler Naquin, Clint Frazier, Bradley Zimmer, and Justus Sheffield. Cleveland put together one of the best teams in baseball in 2016. They seem set to be a powerhouse for years to come.Ē

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •