Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 214 of 256 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224 ... LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 3834
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Top four pitching teams (by WAR) last year were Indians, Twins, Reds, and Brewers. The year before it was Rays, Dodgers, Twins, and Astros. Playoffs are more about timely hitting than anything in my opinion. The playoffs are also about well rounded teams. It isn't like teams win solely due to pitching and have a subpar offense. Almost all the winners have an elite offense as well.
    Agreed. The playoffs are also about how you perform in high leverage situations. That's why there is so much emphasis on situational hitting and making the right bullpen moves. Most of these teams are separated by a **** hair in terms of talent. Its just a matter of who performs and who doesn't. Its a total crapshoot.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-18-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Looks like the Padres just traded for Joe Musgrove from the Pirates. They have now no doubt one of the top 3 SP rotations in baseball, and it will only get better in 2022 once Clevinger is back and McKenzie Gore is in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    All the ppl still talking about Lindor
    Was this comment really necessary?

Padres are going to topple the Dodgers.

2021 for the Yankees will be a tough road ij Kluber craps the bed. As long as they can stay above water then Cashman can trade and retool the rotation in the 2nd half. But $210 will be strictly enforced to start the season snd Hal will see how the season goes before giving Brian any green lights.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Was this comment really necessary?
    It is equally necessary and unnecessary as every other comment on this board.

Top four pitching teams (by WAR) last year were Indians, Twins, Reds, and Brewers. The year before it was Rays, Dodgers, Twins, and Astros. Playoffs are more about timely hitting than anything in my opinion. The playoffs are also about well rounded teams. It isn't like teams win solely due to pitching and have a subpar offense. Almost all the winners have an elite offense as well.
    Agreed... if it was only about starting pitching Detroit should have won the WS in 14 when they had Verlander, Scherzer and Price instead of getting swept in the first round

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Agreed... if it was only about starting pitching Detroit should have won the WS in 14 when they had Verlander, Scherzer and Price instead of getting swept in the first round
    I think the Phillies had Halladay, Lee, and Hamels at one point and lost too.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiNYC View Post
    Looks like the Padres just traded for Joe Musgrove from the Pirates. They have now no doubt one of the top 3 SP rotations in baseball, and it will only get better in 2022 once Clevinger is back and McKenzie Gore is in the majors.
    The Padres are definitely going for it. Nationals just signed Lester as well

It pains me to say since I'm a fan of the AL but the NL is by far the best league this year and looks so fun to watch. You have like 5-6 teams who can go far in the Dodgers, Padres, Mets, Braves, Nats and possibly Phillies (if they fix their bullpen).

But I think the division system is broken. I don't care if the Cards is 1st in the NL Central with 87 wins for example, only the top 6 teams in the NL should adavnce even if they don't come from the Central.

With about 9 mil left under the tax threshold I'd like to see Cash go bargain bin shopping for at least one more vet arm in the pen.

Keone Kela, Kirby Yates, Justin Wilson, or even the re-return of David Robertson could be guys that fit that low cost high reward role well imo.

I think the Phillies had Halladay, Lee, and Hamels at one point and lost too.
    your right they had a killer rotation, didn;t they also have another TORP type on that roster also? your original point was absolutely correct It takes a balanced team to win in the playoffs, it also helps alot if your team get hot going into the playoffs as well

Quote Originally Posted by NYK2RIP View Post
    With about 9 mil left under the tax threshold I'd like to see Cash go bargain bin shopping for at least one more vet arm in the pen.

Keone Kela, Kirby Yates, Justin Wilson, or even the re-return of David Robertson could be guys that fit that low cost high reward role well imo.
    I'd love to see them get another starter but unless they go over 210 i just don't see that happening

I do think that they will look to get another reliever though. I'd really like to see them get Rosenthal but he's ikely going to be to expensive. Yates is an interesting idea, if he can be the guy he was in 18-19 again it would be a great signing. They are taking huge injury risks in the rotation why not do it in the BP

Didn't Drob leave on kinda bad terms? If he'd take a MILB deal i think he would be worth the risk

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Agreed. The playoffs are also about how you perform in high leverage situations. That's why there is so much emphasis on situational hitting and making the right bullpen moves. Most of these teams are separated by a **** hair in terms of talent. Its just a matter of who performs and who doesn't. Its a total crapshoot.
    It's why the Yankees have failed the last 3 years.
    They have one or two guys who can actually hit situationally. They K in high leverage scenarios. Last year, Judge came up with DJ on second and no one out, he had two strikes and somehow, unintentionally hit a little nubber that allowed DJ to get to third. Then whomever hit next, lifted the ball to the OF and DJ scored. Judge had without design, situationally hit. The Yankees, situationally K, because most of the lineup is swinging for a bomb instead of hitting the ball the other way to move a runner or get one in from third.
    Boone is in charge of the Pen and he is abysmal.

It is why I have held to the belief that they will not win a title with the roster as constructed. If you can't put bat to ball against great pitching, you have a very small window for success. If you have a manager who has little acumen regarding the pen, your chances get smaller.

Essentially, this team is constructed and run, to crack under pressure.

Ignorance is bliss

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiNYC View Post
    It pains me to say since I'm a fan of the AL but the NL is by far the best league this year and looks so fun to watch. You have like 5-6 teams who can go far in the Dodgers, Padres, Mets, Braves, Nats and possibly Phillies (if they fix their bullpen).

But I think the division system is broken. I don't care if the Cards is 1st in the NL Central with 87 wins for example, only the top 6 teams in the NL should adavnce even if they don't come from the Central.
    The only argument I would have for that is, what if the Central was a brutal division and all the teams beat the hell out of each other and then all did well against out of division teams? I know that doesn't happen with great frequency but the AL east used to be that way.
    Maybe they should allow for a 1 game play in, in that case?

Ignorance is bliss

Highest projected team W-L% for 2021 per FanGraphs

1. Los Angeles Dodgers (.595)
    2. San Diego Padres (.594)
    3. New York Yankees (.590)
    4. New York Mets (.570)
    5. Chicago White Sox (.544)
    6. Atlanta Braves (.537)
    7. Houston Astros (.537)
    8. Los Angeles Angels (.536)