Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 256 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 808yankee View Post
    I'm scared the league has figured out Tanaka, lay off his splitter. And he's become a 5 inning SP. If the Yanks don't resign him, he'll probably go to the Angels who desperately need pitching and he might do well with all his fly balls staying in the park due to the marine layer over there in Cali. His 12M a year or so salary can go to Stroman for 2-3 yr contract. Maybe Stroman ends up sucking but I like the thought of a ground ball pitcher with our infield. He'd be a decent #3 or really good #4.

Next year they don't have clear choices as to who will slot in the rotation after Cole. Sevy, German, Garcia, Schmidt all probably come with innings limits due to being young or coming back from injury. Not to mention the minor leaguers you listed Albert Abreau, Nick Nelson, Alexander Vizcaino, Miguel Yajure, Roansy Contreras. How about the Yankees start thinking out of the box? Do something like what the Rays did in game 5. Run out 3 pitchers who each go thru one time of the batting order...if you're winning it's Green, Britton and Chapman time. Whether this is flawed or not I'm sure some of you will tell me so lol. But I think it's a great way to get some of these younger guys experience throwing to major league hitters especially the ones who don't have a 3rd pitch yet.
    I would have no problem if we signed Stroman to be our #3 starter to begin next yr, although i see a couple of obstacles. Stroman will only be 29 and looking for a big, long term deal. I also would be shocked if Stroman signed for an AAV lower than the QO which is close to 19m for this winter. I would be pretty surprised if he signed for anything less than 4yrs 70-80m.

They have a ton of familiarity with Tanaka and i'd highly doubt he'll get an offer bigger than 3yrs39m but i think they could get him back for less than that if they want him back. I think he would probably take less money to resign here rather than go to an unfamiliar team. I'd be just fine with a rotation of 1) Cole 2) Fa/trade 3) German 4/5) Tanaka and Monty to start the yr . Hopefully, Sevy is recovered fully and be back on the mound by early summer. If he can come back anything close to what he was it would be like trading a TORP around the deadline.

Another possibility, i read about this this morning ,is alot of analyst and GM's are predicting that the vast majority of the FA contracts signed this winter will be 1-2yr deals. With how depressed the market is going to be because of all the lost revenue it would make alot of sense for players who aren't at the very top of the market, like Stroman, to bet on himself, choose the team that gives him the best chance to highlight his talents and gives him a very good chance to win. In a yr or 2 when the market recovers these middle of the market players would set themselves up for a bigger payday.

I think you'll see quite a few mid tier players end up taking short term deals so they will have a chance at another bigger payday in a yr or 2.

I absolutely believe if we want to be competitive with the top teams next yr they absolutely have to upgrade the rotation and BP either through FA, trades or both. If they don't we are looking at a likely repeat of this yr but with even worse results.

We can't continue to let all these primes yrs of our best players just pass us by anymore. IMO this needs to be a make or break yr for Cashman and Boone. Cashman needs to get creative and have the balls to take some chances to get us over the top, stop playing everything so safe and by the book

If they really aren't going to be players on the FA market like Hal is alluding to the last couple days, Cashman should start making calls to find out what ever realistically trade able assets we have on the MLB team are worth. Maybe we get that Hershal Walker/ Sshelby Miller type offer that we can't refuse and could reshape the team.

Staying basically the same is like throwing the yr away next yr. Do the best u can to put together a WS contender or start a soft rebuild but if they go into next yr with the team pretty much the same as last yr they really can't expect much different results.

Another thing to consider is even though our farm system is right around the top 10( ESPN & Kiley Daniels have us 5th), Our biggest title contenders like the Rays, Dodgers, Braves, Padres all have as good or in some cases a much better system than we do. Cashman and his scouting/anals team is going to have to get very creative with the roster to get us back in the position to win a WS next yr. Cashman has a very difficult job in front of him this winter

"I'd be just fine with a rotation of 1) Cole 2) Fa/trade 3) German 4/5) Tanaka and Monty to start the yr ."

I read #2 as Fat toad!

Anyone remember Irabu? Tragic story.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,Ē JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Britton has performed. Wait and see on the option. They need BP arms. DJ is a priority, they have $140M committed. That should leave ample room. Tanaka, I have lost a bit of confidence, off season exam is probably already scheduled.

You must tip your cap to Tampa's development program. They do it on a shoe string. Therein lies the good and bad. They should be commended for the effort, unfortunately once it's time to pay their talent they leave and chase the money. Can't blame them. Many have been playing and winning at league minimum salary or fairly low arb numbers. Seems like once they have the opportunity for real money they bolt.
    I hate this draft system that gives the Rays an extra 1st pick because they lack competative balance due to a low payroll. They also get a significantly higher bonus pool because of that pick, plus the get extra IFA money as well. So recap, the best team in the AL gets an extra 1st round Comp balance pick and extra IFA money because they choose to keep their payroll under 100m. Someone needs to explain to me why the best team in the AL, who also happens to have the leagues best farms system deserves extra picks and money. It doesn't help us that the Rays are as good or better at finding under valued assets, scouting drafting and developing young talent

IMO i don't think playoff teams should get extra picks and money regardless of what their payroll is. Gotta give the Rays a huge amount of credit for exploiting the systems that allows them the opportunity to add multiple extra top talents each yr because of a low payroll. IMO if your making the playoffs especially consistently u shouldn't be given that kind of extra advantage
    Last edited by dayners81; 10-13-2020 at 08:35 PM.

Don't get me started on revenue sharing, aka MLB welfare and it's corollary to further handicap the large market big spenders the "luxury tax" or competitive balance tax. Both aimed decidedly at negating Yankees financial clout. I hate that Yankees subsidize competitors.

The draft pick compensation just adds insult to injury. Yes they seem to be unfairly advantaged. However they have a development team that takes full advantage of the talent they acquire. From scouting on up thru the minors, they have a system that works well for them. I agree it sucks and as a Yankee fan you / we have reason to be outraged. Not only are Yanks subsidizing the payroll, they have to sit and watch the very same teams get extra picks they helped finance!
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,Ē JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Already the front office starting this off season with stupidity, they are bringing back Boone next season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...l-steinbrenner
    Hal also said in that same interview that they still fully believe in Sanchez's talent and they are going to be there at every step to help him get back on track.
    I don't want him as our starter next yr, i'd actually like to see him start in AAA so maybe he can figure out how to hit again like he did all through the minors. Hopefully he can rebuild some of his trade value and we could get something of value in return. I think his days as our starter are over but i have zero issue with them keeping him to attempt to rebuild some of his trade value. There is a ton of value in a catcher that can be a middle of the order bat also and he could have a ton of value to an NL team looking for a primary DH. I would hate to see us give him away for nothing and watch as a much better catching/hitting coach unlocks his potential and he returns to his 2017, top 3 catcher in baseball form and we got nothing for him.

Keep him in hopes he can get some of his trade value back like Frazier then hopefully package him for something really good

Don't get me started on revenue sharing, aka MLB welfare and it's corollary to further handicap the large market big spenders the "luxury tax" or competitive balance tax. Both aimed decidedly at negating Yankees financial clout. I hate that Yankees subsidize competitors.

The draft pick compensation just adds insult to injury. Yes they seem to be unfairly advantaged. However they have a development team that takes full advantage of the talent they acquire. From scouting on up thru the minors, they have a system that works well for them. I agree it sucks and as a Yankee fan you / we have reason to be outraged. Not only are Yanks subsidizing the payroll, they have to sit and watch the very same teams get extra picks they helped finance!
    I completely agree its crap. The Yanks are basically paying for teams like the Rays extra 1st round picks and their bigger IFA bonus pools

I'm very hopeful in the new CBA they take into account a teams record/standings when they are giving out extra picks and larger bonus pools. I'm also very hopeful and from the sounds of it it is extremely likely that they raise the luxury tax tiers significantly, somewhere in line with how much players salaries have risen since the last time the adjusted the luxury tax.

I think its BS that they expect teams like the Yanks and Dodgers to make huge money for the MLB, atleast the better part of half the teams rely on the upper tier teams money to operate. Yet the MLB severely punishes teams like us if we want to spend some of that money we make. We spend less % wise on payroll than any other team and its not close. IMO if a owner/team is making a ton of money because they are being successful they shouldn't be penalized so harshly for reinvesting in their own team.

I keep hearing that the first tier is going to start in the 250 range with the 3rd tier being closer to 300m. If the luxury tax does go to those type of figures it will give some advantage back to the big market teams that do such a good job generating revenue. A team shouldn't be penalized financially because they do a great job and make a ton of money.

No way a playoff team should be getting extra help like revenue sharing, extra picks and larger IFA bonus pools that actually gives them a competitive advantage over teams that spend money to make the playoffs.

The Rays do a tremendous job doing what they do but lets not kid ourselves here, between the extra picks and the bigger bonus pools every yr they basically get to add 2-4 extra 1st round talents to their system every yr. Adding that much additional top tier talent every yr adds up quickly and has given the Rays a big advantage as we can see from their clear cut #1 farm system and all the cheap young talent that they have all over their roster. The really scary part for us is their 2 best specs who should be ready at some point next yr, have higher ceilings than any position players they currently have on the roster.

If Hal and Cash aren't careful or don't take action to improve the areas of need on this team the Rays are going to blow by us talent wise and we could easily end up looking up at them in the division for the next 5yrs. If we don't improve pretty significantly this winter, especially the rotation and BP, were probably a WC at best next yr, probably fighting it out with the Jays for the final WC spot

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Well, German will start next season, but Severino will be nothing more than someone out of the bullpen late in the season, assuming their starting rotation holds steady. If they have to depend on severino next year they're in big trouble.
    Absolutely.

I said it before, and Iíll reiterate it again, hoping on Severino and German isnít a plan, itís a joke.

Need to sign a legit #2 to ease some of the quantitative burden off of Cole and the lower arms in the rotation who we will have to assume Cashman goes young on. Unfortunately, Bauer is by far the best option out there that costs nothing but what the Yankees have in droves.....money.

Cashman will not part with any of his precious prospects so we have to assume that Deivi and Monty will be the #4 and #5 in our rotation next year.

Any higher and weíve got problems.

That means we need to pay (not ace money but certainly a pretty penny) for a top-shelf (again, does not have to be a full-blown ace) #2 starter and probably trade for a consistent #3.

Beyond that we need a top flight RP who can diversify between a 7-8th inning holds guy to closing in the clutch. We have that now but I would like another asset to team with the Britton-Chapman duology.

This is precisely what makes Hader so appealing.

You use Severino, Kahnle, and Greene as your mid-inning stoppers and then hand it off to your power trio of Britton, Hader, and Chapman in the last three innings. Hader also allows you to not make the same mistake for a 17th time of trusting Aroldis in a must-have pressure clinch.

Priorities should be:

1) resign DJ
    2) Bauer
    3) trade for a decent #3
    4) Hader

We have a tremendous plethora of Ďdeadpoolí talent with no discernible future on this club AND 89 mil coming off of the books.

We have MORE than adequate resources to make multifaceted moves.

Problem is, we donít have an executive team capable of making the right ones.

When is Kahnle expected to be back and able to pitch in MLB?

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Absolutely.

I said it before, and Iíll reiterate it again, hoping on Severino and German isnít a plan, itís a joke.

Need to sign a legit #2 to ease some of the quantitative burden off of Cole and the lower arms in the rotation who we will have to assume Cashman goes young on. Unfortunately, Bauer is by far the best option out there that costs nothing but what the Yankees have in droves.....money.

Cashman will not part with any of his precious prospects so we have to assume that Deivi and Monty will be the #4 and #5 in our rotation next year.

That means we need to pay (not ace money but certainly a pretty penny) for a top-shelf (again, does not have to be a full-blown ace) #2 starter and probably trade for a consistent #3.

Beyond that we need a top flight RP who can diversify between a 7-8th inning holds guy to closing in the clutch. We have that now but I would like another asset to team with the Britton-Chapman duology.

You use Severino, Kahnle, and Greene as your mid-inning stoppers and then hand it off to your power trio of Britton, Hader, and Chapman in the last three innings. Hader also allows you to not make the same mistake for a 17th time of trusting Aroldis in a must-have pressure clinch.

Priorities should be:

1) resign DJ
    2) Bauer
    3) trade for a decent #3
    4) Hader

We have a tremendous plethora of Ďdeadpoolí talent with no discernible future on this club AND 89 mil coming off of the books.

Done, I'll call cash.

Also, As I said on our little island earlier , unless Bauer and Cole have squashed their beef...which i have not read anywhere, I don't see him signing here.

I think he goes back to the west coast where he played college.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Absolutely.

Priorities should be:

1) resign DJ
    2) Bauer
    3) trade for a decent #3
    4) Hader

Problem is, we donít have an executive team capable of making the right ones
    I agree with pretty much everything you said with a couple exceptions. While i completely agree counting on Sevy after missing well over 2 season would be a joke of a plan. I do think we can count on German being at minimum a solid 4th/5th starter with a fair possibility he can be a descent #3 type again at some point next yr.

Signing or trading for a legit #2 has to be their top priority after signing DJ. Like u said it doesn't have to be a true 2nd ace, although that would be nice, its just need to be a strong #2 type. While i think Bauer would be the perfect answer i'm not sure it would be wise to screw with Coles chemistry. That said they are both adults and professionals now, they should be able to get along if that means giving them the best chance to win championships. The other problem i see is the rumor he wants a 1yr 35m deal. I'm just not sure Hal is going to be willing to spend over 70m on the top 2 spots in the rotation and loose multiple top picks again next yr. This is supposed to be one of the better and deeper drafts in yrs and losing another 2nd and 3rd round pick 2yrs in a row could be very costly to the farm system. Just my opinion but i think Cash will try to get starting pitching on the trade market instead of the FA market at least for the number #2 type starter.
    Unfortunately that probably means another Pineda/ Paxton type. A pitcher with high end velo and spin on his FB with a high spin breaking ball. He'll just need that last pitch or this little tweak to realize his full potential, the same story as we've heard/seen play out before. I would be a huge fan if they could get a pitcher like Gray was before or after he was here. He was a solid, complete pitcher who didn't need to be messed with, yet Rothchild couldn't resist. They really messed that one up. If u look at what he did this yr he would have been the perfect compliment to Cole IMO

I completely agree that we also need a solid MORP. I think this is going to be an area of the FA market that going to be severely depressed. I think your going to see alot of mid tier type FAs sign 1-2yr deals in hopes of getting a bigger contract in the next yr or 2 when the revenue hopefully returns. I think a smart team that is willing to take some 1-2yr chances will have an incredible opportunity to add some good talent without having to break the bank IMO. If Cashman and his anals crew can target and sign the right players is something else completely

I absolutely love Hader and especially love the idea of being able to use him in a fireman type role. What i don't like about him is the reported asking price. Last winter they asked for Frazier, Andujar, Garcia to start with. To me giving up that kind of package for a reliever is to much especially since that package would get us one hell of a starting pitcher that we very much need.

Again i think the mid tier reliever market is going to be a place a smart team can pick up quality pitchers without having to spend big. This yrs reliever class, especially #2/#3 type relievers, is very deep so i think we could get multiple relievers like we need in FA, Liam Hendricks would be a great start IMO.

Paying a similar asking price for a reliever, even one as good as Hader, as we would for a TORP just doesn't seem like the best use of assets when we have multiple holes to fill. I also would be on the look out for smaller market teams that have higher priced relievers they may want to move to save money. Another thing i think the Yanks should try that other team have had really good success with is the failed starter market. Some of the best reliever like Miller were failed starters. Why not sign a couple of failed starter on MILB deals and see if our new pitching development team can turn them into quality relievers.

If there is a deal for Hader after we fix the both spots in the rotation i'd be all for it but until those holes are filled i'd rather save the assets to upgrade the rotation

The bold is the real question IMO, does Cash and his teams have enough balls to go out and make the necessary moves this winter to take advantage of this market and pick the right players to fill our problem areas. I think Cashman is going to have to take risks and not hold on to all his specs so tightly if he's going to be effective at upgrading this team. He's been playing it safe for the better part of 20yr with only 1 championship in that time. Its time to take some chances and go all in to get #28 next yr IMO. Definitely not full on Dombrowski but a far more aggressive approach then we seen in a long time

Either way Hal needs to put Cashman on the hot seat this yr as make or break for both he and Boone. I just have a feeling it will be a very busy and telling off season for us

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Done, I'll call cash.

Also, As I said on our little island earlier , unless Bauer and Cole have squashed their beef...which i have not read anywhere, I don't see him signing here.

I think he goes back to the west coast where he played college.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    While it wouldn't surprise me if Bauer went back to the west coast, he strikes me as a guy who will also prioritize winning heavily in his decision. He has also said he wants whatever team he signs with to allow him to use his own training program, which happens to be the one Blake built for him and he wants to be allowed to pitch every 4th game. He has talked about trying to start 40 games next yr in effort to be the 1st pitcher to win 30 in a very long time. I think he ends up with a team that has a manager and staff that thinks outside the box and allows Bauer to do his own thing IMO

The one thing that keeps me going back to Bauer is that he only wants a 1yr deal. Its not another huge, long term financial commitment and they would be guaranteeing only getting him for his peak yrs. If he doesn't workout or we have developed enough pitching that we don't need to spend that much we can walk away at anytime without having to overpay for his down yrs.

If he really only wants a 1yr deal it could definitely workout well for us and he would give us that fiery, deeply competitive pitcher our rotation has lacked in recent yrs. I'm just not sure Hal will approve the money or Cashman would take that kinda risk

"I'd be just fine with a rotation of 1) Cole 2) Fa/trade 3) German 4/5) Tanaka and Monty to start the yr ."

I read #2 as Fat toad!

Anyone remember Irabu? Tragic story.
    I actually went to his first three starts in Ď97 I was SO pumped by the hype.

I vividly remember Detroit CF Brian Hunter talking a lot of trash about how Irabu was Ďnothing specialí and then proceeding to get struck out in four consecutive ABís by Mr. Toad.

Irabu threw incredibly hard but also laser straight. His inability to move the ball or to finesse the plate was a direct result of the systems Japan had in place at that time.

It is unfortunate because there was a lot of latent talent there but the league figured him out quick.
    Last edited by sauronthepower; 10-14-2020 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything you said with a couple exceptions. While i completely agree counting on Sevy after missing well over 2 season would be a joke of a plan. I do think we can count on German being at minimum a solid 4th/5th starter with a fair possibility he can be a descent #3 type again at some point next yr.

Signing or trading for a legit #2 has to be their top priority after signing DJ. Like u said it doesn't have to be a true 2nd ace, although that would be nice, its just need to be a strong #2 type. While i think Bauer would be the perfect answer i'm not sure it would be wise to screw with Coles chemistry. That said they are both adults and professionals now, they should be able to get along if that means giving them the best chance to win championships. The other problem i see is the rumor he wants a 1yr 35m deal. I'm just not sure Hal is going to be willing to spend over 70m on the top 2 spots in the rotation and loose multiple top picks again next yr. This is supposed to be one of the better and deeper drafts in yrs and losing another 2nd and 3rd round pick 2yrs in a row could be very costly to the farm system. Just my opinion but i think Cash will try to get starting pitching on the trade market instead of the FA market at least for the number #2 type starter.
    Unfortunately that probably means another Pineda/ Paxton type. A pitcher with high end velo and spin on his FB with a high spin breaking ball. He'll just need that last pitch or this little tweak to realize his full potential, the same story as we've heard/seen play out before. I would be a huge fan if they could get a pitcher like Gray was before or after he was here. He was a solid, complete pitcher who didn't need to be messed with, yet Rothchild couldn't resist. They really messed that one up. If u look at what he did this yr he would have been the perfect compliment to Cole IMO

I completely agree that we also need a solid MORP. I think this is going to be an area of the FA market that going to be severely depressed. I think your going to see alot of mid tier type FAs sign 1-2yr deals in hopes of getting a bigger contract in the next yr or 2 when the revenue hopefully returns. I think a smart team that is willing to take some 1-2yr chances will have an incredible opportunity to add some good talent without having to break the bank IMO. If Cashman and his anals crew can target and sign the right players is something else completely

I absolutely love Hader and especially love the idea of being able to use him in a fireman type role. What i don't like about him is the reported asking price. Last winter they asked for Frazier, Andujar, Garcia to start with. To me giving up that kind of package for a reliever is to much especially since that package would get us one hell of a starting pitcher that we very much need.

Again i think the mid tier reliever market is going to be a place a smart team can pick up quality pitchers without having to spend big. This yrs reliever class, especially #2/#3 type relievers, is very deep so i think we could get multiple relievers like we need in FA, Liam Hendricks would be a great start IMO.

Paying a similar asking price for a reliever, even one as good as Hader, as we would for a TORP just doesn't seem like the best use of assets when we have multiple holes to fill. I also would be on the look out for smaller market teams that have higher priced relievers they may want to move to save money. Another thing i think the Yanks should try that other team have had really good success with is the failed starter market. Some of the best reliever like Miller were failed starters. Why not sign a couple of failed starter on MILB deals and see if our new pitching development team can turn them into quality relievers.

If there is a deal for Hader after we fix the both spots in the rotation i'd be all for it but until those holes are filled i'd rather save the assets to upgrade the rotation

The bold is the real question IMO, does Cash and his teams have enough balls to go out and make the necessary moves this winter to take advantage of this market and pick the right players to fill our problem areas. I think Cashman is going to have to take risks and not hold on to all his specs so tightly if he's going to be effective at upgrading this team. He's been playing it safe for the better part of 20yr with only 1 championship in that time. Its time to take some chances and go all in to get #28 next yr IMO. Definitely not full on Dombrowski but a far more aggressive approach then we seen in a long time

Either way Hal needs to put Cashman on the hot seat this yr as make or break for both he and Boone. I just have a feeling it will be a very busy and telling off season for us

While it wouldn't surprise me if Bauer went back to the west coast, he strikes me as a guy who will also prioritize winning heavily in his decision. He has also said he wants whatever team he signs with to allow him to use his own training program, which happens to be the one Blake built for him and he wants to be allowed to pitch every 4th game. He has talked about trying to start 40 games next yr in effort to be the 1st pitcher to win 30 in a very long time. I think he ends up with a team that has a manager and staff that thinks outside the box and allows Bauer to do his own thing IMO

The one thing that keeps me going back to Bauer is that he only wants a 1yr deal. Its not another huge, long term financial commitment and they would be guaranteeing only getting him for his peak yrs. If he doesn't workout or we have developed enough pitching that we don't need to spend that much we can walk away at anytime without having to overpay for his down yrs.

If he really only wants a 1yr deal it could definitely workout well for us and he would give us that fiery, deeply competitive pitcher our rotation has lacked in recent yrs. I'm just not sure Hal will approve the money or Cashman would take that kinda risk
    Excellent points.

Two things I think could be problematic though.

1) Boston and the team from Queens are in desperate need of all aspects of their respective BPís. Both seem to be sending signals that they are going large next year. That alone could depress the BP market. Cashman needs to be aggressively involved if they hope to stay in that arms race.

2) German represented the first true hope (outside of Ivan Nova of course) of something truly special emanating from our system in a long while. What truly makes me nervous about those types of flashes out of nowhere is that you never know if those types of talents are legitimate and consequently were overlooked by every one elseís scouting analytics or if they were simply lucky and happened to overperform the statistical norm of their skill set. This is especially true of young SPís who emerge like lightening out of nowhere only to fall victim to the dreaded sophomore curse. Think guys like Josh Johnson, Daniel Hudson, even Severino. They suffered major regression when asked to perform to the bar that they themselves set for themselves a season earlier. Granted, Johnson was an injury issue but this remains somewhat of an old baseball truism that often gets overlooked.

Absolutely.

Priorities should be:

1) resign DJ
    2) Bauer
    3) trade for a decent #3
    4) Hader

It's pure speculation as to who would be available for trade but I think Carrasco could be traded for the right price. Indians probably still like Frazier, and Santana their 1B is a free agent so they might like Voit as well. Would you trade either for Carrasco? What if they ask for both? Would be pretty sweet with a rotation of Cole, Bauer and Carrasco. Frazier gone, opens up Brantley signing or an Andujar sighting lol

Excellent points.

Two things I think could be problematic though.

1) Boston and the team from Queens are in desperate need of all aspects of their respective BPís. Both seem to be sending signals that they are going large next year. That alone could depress the BP market. Cashman needs to be aggressively involved if they hope to stay in that arms race.

2) German represented the first true hope (outside of Ivan Nova of course) of something truly special emanating from our system in a long while. What truly makes me nervous about those types of flashes out of nowhere is that you never know if those types of talents are legitimate and consequently were overlooked by every one elseís scouting analytics or if they were simply lucky and happened to overperform the statistical norm of their skill set. This is especially true of young SPís who emerge like lightening out of nowhere only to fall victim to the dreaded sophomore curse. Think guys like Josh Johnson, Daniel Hudson, even Severino. They suffered major regression when asked to perform to the bar that they themselves set for themselves a season earlier. Granted, Johnson was an injury issue but this remains somewhat of an old baseball truism that often gets overlooked.
    With Cohen buying the Mets i think he's going to make a statement in FA and try to dominate the top of the market,
    I would say they are probably the favorites to sign Bauer, Realmuto, Springer and i could see them being players for Hader or another big time reliever.

I''m kinda surprised that Boston is making indications that they are going to spend big, they seem like they are much father away than a few FA pieces.

IMO even if Boston and the Muts sign 1-2 relievers each there are still enough #2/#3 reliver types that we should still be able to get a couple good ones without spending a ton of money IMO

Your absolutely right about a possible sophomore slump from German but the stuff is good enough that he should be fine being counted on as a back end starter

Honestly if they can't or won't upgrade both the front of the rotation and the middle of the pen it really won't matter what number German pitches too. IMO if they don't make the needed upgrades were either going to be fighting for a WC or missing the playoffs altogether . Tampa has a ton of very elite talent that will be ready to seriously contribute at the MLB level in the next couple yrs. If we don't stay aggressive or make some wrong moves we could be staring up at Tampa for the foreseeable future

Day, just beat the Rays and we donít have to worry about the draft pick issue and other issues you pointed out..

Yankees had no excuse in losing that series to the Rays. Just playing in SanDiego alone changed the landscape and they still couldnít beat them.

Zach Britton makes more per year than their entire bullpen combined. Their bullie shut us down!

It all stats with player development and the Rays destroy the Yankees at that! They get everything out with their roster. Do the Yankees? With the Yankees the juice isnít worth the squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Day, just beat the Rays and we donít have to worry about the draft pick issue and other issues you pointed out..

Yankees had no excuse in losing that series to the Rays. Just playing in SanDiego alone changed the landscape and they still couldnít beat them.

Zach Britton makes more per year than their entire bullpen combined. Their bullie shut us down!

It all stats with player development and the Rays destroy the Yankees at that! They get everything out with their roster. Do the Yankees? With the Yankees the juice isnít worth the squeeze.
    yanks don't get high draft pick because they are a winning team every year.. rays were bad for a while to get high draft pick...yanks got jeter because they were bad in the early 1990's