Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 116 of 256 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 3833
  1. #1726
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Because this past season was just under half a regular season long. Either way using war to justify your argument is not making a very strong case at all . War is an overused , overrated stat .
    It is absolutely hilarious that you somehow think this mindless followup post somehow justifies the illogical drivel you first replied to me with. Seeing your complete ignorance on how to utilize WAR, it comes as no surprise that you believe it to be "an overused , overrated stat".

    Try using your brain and opening up a book or reading up on something before you open your big mouth and make an absolute fool of yourself once again.

    My word.

  2. #1727
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    where did u say that Jorge? is your inner spirit animal trying to get out again?
    Post #1717 in this thread , first line

  3. #1728
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    It is absolutely hilarious that you somehow think this mindless followup post somehow justifies the illogical drivel you first replied to me with. Seeing your complete ignorance on how to utilize WAR, it comes as no surprise that you believe it to be "an overused , overrated stat".

    Try using your brain and opening up a book or reading up on something before you open your big mouth and make an absolute fool of yourself once again.

    My word.
    The fact that you resorted to petty name calling just proved my point ...

  4. #1729
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    The fact that you resorted to petty name calling just proved my point ...
    Welp. There you have it, folks. We've reached the final stage of Posada's played out routine he performs every time he gets conversationally served: ignore the actual topic entirely and instead, resort to playing the hapless victim.

  5. #1730
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Welp. There you have it, folks. We've reached the final stage of Posada's played out routine he performs every time he gets conversationally served: ignore the actual topic entirely and instead, resort to playing the hapless victim.
    Back on to topic here are some articles that show how war is not a good stat to rely on

    https://www.sportscasting.com/mlb-5-...tic-explained/

    https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...BBK/story.html

    And here is one that states why war is an imperfect stat and therefore shouldn’t be heavily relied on to support an argument in a discussion

    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...01owwnc9zj6mvr

  6. #1731
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Post #1717 in this thread , first line
    Ok, but you were trying to calculate the WAR based on a whole season. No matter how you look at it, even if both those guys were healthy for a whole season they aren't going to make them 15-20 wins better

  7. #1732
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Ok, but you were trying to calculate the WAR based on a whole season. No matter how you look at it, even if both those guys were healthy for a whole season they aren't going to make them 15-20 wins better
    And what proof do you have of that ? How can you say without a doubt that losing their 2 best starters didn’t cost them 15 wins over a full season ?

  8. #1733
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    And what proof do you have of that ? How can you say without a doubt that losing their 2 best starters didn’t cost them 15 wins over a full season ?
    I shouldn't be surprised you think Stroman and Thor are better than DeGrom, I'm pretty sure most would say Degrom is their best pitcher

    Stromans best yr was a 5.8 WAR and Thors was 5.3, so their best yrs they combined for 11.1 wins, thats their best season not even their average yrs. Thats not even factoring in what the starters they replaced WAR.
    Verlander and Cole's best yr together didn't equal 15 wins, hard for 2 pitchers in the same rotation to have those kind of big seasons together
    Last edited by dayners81; 12-14-2020 at 10:13 PM.

  9. #1734
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Well Stromans best yr was a 5.8 WAR and Thors was 5.3, so there best yrs the combined for 11.1 wins, thats their best season not even their average yrs. Thats not even factoring in what the starters they replaced WAR.

    Verlander and Cole's best yr together didn't equal 15 wins, hard for 2 pitchers in the same rotation to have those kind of big seasons together
    Still 11 wins difference and then there are the wins lost by the yanks possibly losing Tanaka , Paxton and dj .

  10. #1735
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Still 11 wins difference and then there are the wins lost by the yanks possibly losing Tanaka , Paxton and dj .
    You've changed the goal post so far from your original argument it's unreal. If your so sure of yourself why not take Doc up on his bet?

  11. #1736
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    11,057
    LeMahieu to ‘start engaging’ other teams
    https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/12/w...ee-agency.htmlIt will suck to lose him short term but the better long term move, especially if he insist on 5yrs, would to be to get Lindor and focus the rest on pitching

  12. #1737
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Back on to topic here are some articles that show how war is not a good stat to rely on

    https://www.sportscasting.com/mlb-5-...tic-explained/

    https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...BBK/story.html

    And here is one that states why war is an imperfect stat and therefore shouldn’t be heavily relied on to support an argument in a discussion

    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...01owwnc9zj6mvr
    Oh my goodness. Having an honest and intelligent conversation with you is damn near impossible.

    This conversation was never about WAR. However, you started talking about "adding wins" to certain teams based on the contributions of a few individual players. These days, this type of talk is generally reserved for people referring to a player's projected WAR and how it will potentially affect their team's win total. Regardless, whether you were referring to that or your own guesstimate(s) it was quite obvious that what you were doing was little more than pulling random numbers out of your ***. This is why I scoffed at your projections and factually stated that you are completely ignorant on how to use WAR.

    You then further showed how absolutely oblivious you are to how WAR works when you took a couple pitchers with a combined 1,500+ career innings pitched and then claimed that we could take their career WAR totals, divide them in half, and then get an accurate look at what they would contribute in 2021. Any way you look at that, it is stunningly asinine.

    Not once have I ever claimed that WAR is a perfect stat, because it is not. However, it is the best stat we have for projecting the contribution each individual player adds to their team. Either way about it, you are completely lost when it comes to realistically projecting how individual players will boost a team's win total for a given year.

  13. #1738
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58,990
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I shouldn't be surprised you think Stroman and Thor are better than DeGrom, I'm pretty sure most would say Degrom is their best pitcher

    Stromans best yr was a 5.8 WAR and Thors was 5.3, so their best yrs they combined for 11.1 wins, thats their best season not even their average yrs. Thats not even factoring in what the starters they replaced WAR.
    Verlander and Cole's best yr together didn't equal 15 wins, hard for 2 pitchers in the same rotation to have those kind of big seasons together
    Anyone who knows the least bit about modern baseball players should be able to tell you that DeGrom is head and shoulders above Stroman and Thor.

  14. #1739
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Still 11 wins difference and then there are the wins lost by the yanks possibly losing Tanaka , Paxton and dj .
    You'd have to be quite ignorant to project Stroman and Thor alone to provide the Mets an additional 11 wins next season. You really need to learn about WAR before further commenting on it (and no, I don't mean cherry picking a few articles from years ago that discuss it in a negative manner).

  15. #1740
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7,437
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    You'd have to be quite ignorant to project Stroman and Thor alone to provide the Mets an additional 11 wins next season. You really need to learn about WAR before further commenting on it (and no, I don't mean cherry picking a few articles from years ago that discuss it in a negative manner).
    Abs you need to learn that war is an overused abs imperfect stat . Atleast I researched And back up my argument that war is overrated . All you are doing is using lame insults to back up yours .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •