Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 3833
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Sign Lindor
    Sign Realmuto
    Trade Andujar, Gio or Voit plus specs for Castillo
    Trade for hader

You traveled back in time, huh? LOL
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

It does make me wonder why more deals aren’t structured that way. Add an extra year at league minimum with an opt out right before it. Keeps the AAV nice and low

Quote Originally Posted by RJYANKS12 View Post
    It does make me wonder why more deals aren’t structured that way. Add an extra year at league minimum with an opt out right before it. Keeps the AAV nice and low
    True. Its all "creative" accounting designed to deal with (circumvent?) the luxury tax threshold, since they use AAV for calcs. It's a ploy. I don't imagine the players or owners will object as it works to their collective advantage. It will be incumbent upon the league to address the situ.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    True. Its all "creative" accounting designed to deal with (circumvent?) the luxury tax threshold, since they use AAV for calcs. It's a ploy. I don't imagine the players or owners will object as it works to their collective advantage. It will be incumbent upon the league to address the situ.
    I believe it temporarily effects the luxury tax by spreading the amount over more years, but if the player does not exercise his option, then the team is penalized for the AAV not previously taken and that amount gets reworked somehow into the tax at the later date.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    I believe it temporarily effects the luxury tax by spreading the amount over more years, but if the player does not exercise his option, then the team is penalized for the AAV not previously taken and that amount gets reworked somehow into the tax at the later date.
    You are indeed correct, with a caveat. According to the most recent CBA; "In the event that the Player has the right to exercise or nullify multiple Contract Years at one time (“Player Opt-Out”), the Contract Years following the Player Opt-Out shall be considered Guaranteed Years; provided however, that the Contract Years following the Player Opt-Out shall not be considered Guaranteed Years if the payment the Player is to receive if he opts out of the Contract is more than 50% of the sum of the Base Salaries in the Contract Years following the Player Opt-Out." http://www.mlbplayers.com/pdf9/5450407.pdf

Also worthy of consideration on the issue:

Bonuses are counted as payroll for the year they trigger. They are not part of the AAV calculation.

Deferred money is part of the total contract value, and is included in the luxury tax calculation. Only the years during which the player is signed to play count for the denominator, though.

Any contract that is obviously an attempt to circumvent the luxury tax would be shot down by the office of the commissioner. You're not allowed to do that.

In that vein, option years are kind of funky. Team and mutual options are not considered guaranteed and not factored into the AAV, but player options are treated as if they're guaranteed years for the purpose of calculating AAV (unless there's a gigantic buyout). This is to prevent teams from offering no-brainer options in an attempt to circumvent the luxury tax.
    Last edited by drt1010; 02-07-2021 at 01:57 PM.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

the one non-signing that I think the yanks could have gotten in to... Baltimore signed King Felix to a MiLB contract... now that's a low risk high reward deal... not sure why Cash couldn't have been in on that...

oops wrong thread
    Last edited by Webslinger; 02-08-2021 at 01:00 AM.

Champa Bay!

Win or lose in a Super Bowl Brady is a class act.

Tampa Bay Rays: WS
    Tampa Bay Lightning: Stanley Cup Champs
    Tampa Bay Bucs: Super Bowl Champs
    Tampa Bay Rowdies: In the Soccer Finals that was cancelled due to Covid and players contracts running out the next day and game couldn’t be played at a later date.

Toronto Bay Raptors?

I know it is not baseball, but had to give a shout out for Tampa Bay sports.

I never rooted for the Rays until the Yankees were gone from the postseason. Plus I despise the Dodgers. I still want revenge from the 81 WS. Lemon pulling Tommy John out early in Game 6 was the beginning of the end in that series IMO. Yankees bullie didn’t have it as well.
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 02-08-2021 at 07:54 AM.
    Soundgarden
    1. Fell on Black Days( Cornell with vocal perfection)
    2. Outshined
    3. Spoonman
    4. Black Hole Sun
    5. Loud Love
    6. Ugly Truth

Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    the one non-signing that I think the yanks could have gotten in to... Baltimore signed King Felix to a MiLB contract... now that's a low risk high reward deal... not sure why Cash couldn't have been in on that...
    How many more high risk rewards do you want in the rotation? We have them with Kluber and Taillon. One was enough. Kluber will be a 2004/2005 Kevin Brown IMO.
    Soundgarden
    1. Fell on Black Days( Cornell with vocal perfection)
    2. Outshined
    3. Spoonman
    4. Black Hole Sun
    5. Loud Love
    6. Ugly Truth

10. 02-08-2021, 09:46 AM

11. 02-08-2021, 12:39 PM

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Yet you persist. You brought up the forbidden fruit and make excuses for your behavior.
    Yes. Especially now that I know you are worse than any of us. You profess to avoidance of conflict yet you intentionally antagonize. Tsk tsk
    Yum yum. Gobble that forbidden fruit and pretend you don

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    How many more high risk rewards do you want in the rotation? We have them with Kluber and Taillon. One was enough. Kluber will be a 2004/2005 Kevin Brown IMO.
    You do have to admit though... King Felix was probably the lowest risk of all... a true innings eater if there ever was one... Yes, he's not what he once was... but he still probably could go 7 quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by evilemplover View Post
    You do have to admit though... King Felix was probably the lowest risk of all... a true innings eater if there ever was one... Yes, he's not what he once was... but he still probably could go 7 quite well.
    Felix is washed. You'd be lucky to get two innings out of him without getting completely shelled.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Felix is washed. You'd be lucky to get two innings out of him without getting completely shelled.
    agreed, Felix's arm is shot from all those innings. His last yr in Seattle his FB was 89-92. The sad part is he really isn't that old and if he had prioritized his conditioning it might be alot different.

16. 02-09-2021, 09:51 AM
    Reason
    Enough! I asked politely to cease, now I start deleting.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    agreed, Felix's arm is shot from all those innings. His last yr in Seattle his FB was 89-92. The sad part is he really isn't that old and if he had prioritized his conditioning it might be alot different.
    He was overused and under-conditioned. He's going to be 35 so he could still have some solid-even good years left had he been smarter and had the organization taken better care of him.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    He was overused and under-conditioned. He's going to be 35 so he could still have some solid-even good years left had he been smarter and had the organization taken better care of him.
    Nah...Actually he would fit right into the Yankees rotation. The right age check, injury history check, arm likely to fall off check.

19. 02-09-2021, 01:02 PM

20. 02-09-2021, 01:45 PM