Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 25 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Not sure this will answer the question, but what I have gathered.

When a team wishes to release a player, it must first place his name on the waiver list. This allows any other major league team to claim the player's existing contract. The claim prevents the player from bargaining as a free agent for more money or refusing to sign with an unattractive team.

Verlander was placed on revocable waiver. Teams will place the vast majority of their rosters on revocable waivers in an effort to gauge interest and also as a smokescreen to mask which players they may actually be more amenable to trading. There’s no downside, after all, as each club has the right to pull a player back from waivers the first time that he is claimed.

That said, Verlander’s placement was among the more notable instances of this largely procedural move. With about $65.3MM owed to Verlander through the completion of the 2019 season, he was exceedingly likely to clear. At that point, the Tigers would be able to continue discussing trades with all 29 other teams in the league, though Verlander’s full no-trade clause and sizable contract would continue to serve as significant impediments to working out a trade. ( Crasnick reminds that Verlander’s no-trade protection would allow him to even veto a claim in the unlikely event that a club places a claim and the Tigers were willing to let him go for nothing.)

Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press reported that the Tigers were only willing to pay the remainder of Verlander’s 2017 salary — a sum that stood at about $9.33MM. That’d leave any team on the hook for $56MM from 2018-19 in the event of a Verlander trade. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...age-deals.html

The 34-year-old Verlander wasn't himself in 2017, he averaged fewer than six innings per start with an elevated 4.2 BB/9 rate and a diminished 8.7 K/9 rate. The deteriorated ground-ball rate he displayed in recent years has also held up, as he’s checked in at 33.9 percent in that regard. Overall, Verlander had a 4.29 ERA through 130 frames thru Aug. 2017, though his fastball velocity remained strong (95.2 mph average).
    Thanks drt

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    Yankees need to figure a way to move Stanton and play Andujar at DH. There is no other spot. He's ARB 1, coming off an injury and has played very little in the last 2 years, and has no position. Therefore, he has little, if any, trade value. Why trade a potentially valuable bat for a bag of balls? The time to move him was after that rookie year.
    Hell yes, I am so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about Andujar!

as we see in the playoffs it always come down to the bullpen and getting clutch hits in games.. yanks never get clutch hits in low scoring playoff games..

yanks would never have won this game against the braves .. like the dodgers did...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    as we see in the playoffs it always come down to the bullpen and getting clutch hits in games.. yanks never get clutch hits in low scoring playoff games..
    They need starting pitching after cole too.

Quote Originally Posted by 808yankee View Post
    I feel the same way but because they are stuck with Stanton , there is just no place for andujar on this team .

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I want to see both Andujar and Frazier as Yankees. I think Andujar would be the perfect DH. If needed, He could spell Gio, Frazier, Judge once a week, each. (Frazier plays RF when Andujar spells Judge.).
    I think he's the best pure hitter on the team. I think Frazier could surpass him because of his absurd bat speed but right now, Andujar can hit anything.

That sad truth is, packages contacting one or two packages contacting both of them, could net a TORP, High level Relief or a guy like Lindor.
    I couch also see a package starting with of a controlled guy like Andujar along with Stanton, getting a very good player or pitcher.

Somehow, I hope they can move Stanton. I maintain that he is going to be an albatross of epic proportions. He turns 31 in November. I think he will be productive, if he can stay on the field for another couple seasons and then those numbers will fall off a cliff and the Yankees will ignore production and keep putting him in the lineup because of "his ability to hit it out of the park"

Ignorance is bliss

They need hitters in the clutch who can shorten their swings and choke up on the bat when the situation calls for it. They need hitters who can do more then hit homers or strike out

They do have some,DJ, Hicks and Gardner. Could use 1 or 2 more.

Thanks drt
    You're welcome.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

yanks would never have won this game against the braves .. like the dodgers did...
    You mean by blasting a late innings HR?
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by flimflamman View Post
    They need hitters in the clutch who can shorten their swings and choke up on the bat when the situation calls for it. They need hitters who can do more then hit homers or strike out
    I won't disagree. But the two teams heading to the WS are #1 and #2 in HR's in 2020....just sayin. Also worth noting Tampa bay led the MLB in K's this season and Atlanta was #3!

Imo what is required is balance. You need power but it must be balanced with the table setters ala DJ, Torres, Gardy.
    Last edited by drt1010; 10-19-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Yankees said they had a budget and Verlander didn't fit in that budget, but I'm pretty sure the money wasn't the problem, it was the fact that they didn't want to spend it on an aging scrub like Verlander. they had no problem spending it on Stanton for 10 years.

Verlander a scrub? SERIOUSLY?
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    Verlander a scrub? SERIOUSLY?
    Tongue in cheek, me thinks.

Why not?

A HOME RUN tied the score.
    A HOME RUN was the winning run.

Right up their alley.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Page 25 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast