Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    My opinion, for what little that’s worth in the grand scheme of things, is to slot him in at #5 and tell him to earn that over Monty and a #4 over Deivi. Personally, I don’t think he’s up to the task but, if he does.....great. Makes us a better team.

If/when that doesn’t pan out, I slot him in as a power mid-innings RP along with Greene and Kahnle.

Those limited doses, bereft of the pressure of having to constantly anchor the game, may be where Severino’s true value resides. He could be very effective as a power 2-3 inning stopper and, let’s face it, that is something that we definitely need in the worst way. Think DRob in the playoffs.

And Day.........truer words than your last sentence have not been spoken round these parts.
    I think anything we get out of Sevy going forward will be a bonus. IMO just coming back from nearly 3yrs not facing live hitting will be his biggest obstacle. IF, big if he is able to get his stuff back i would be fairly surprised if he wasn't pretty good in whatever role he ends up in. If he could be a power 2-3 inning fireman type, like what Hader is, that would be incredibly valuable. That kind of reliever is worth as much as a 2/3 type starter, just look at the Hader asking price. He may never be anything great again but until he's proven he can't be the guy he was I'll still hold out some hope

I would say the failure to block the Verlander trade and not getting him for ourselves probably cost us 2+ WS appearances. You add in the missed opportunities on Cole from the Pirates or the other handful of top pitchers Cashman passed on there is definitely a few WS titles we missed there

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    Gary/Andujar and one or two c type fill ins for Hader.

Who hangs up first? I think it's fair. But might be biased as a yanks fan.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    I thought the same type deal, might get it done.

That would actually leave Frazier, Schmidt, king to start talks for Lindor or another TORP

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I thought the same type deal, might get it done.

That would actually leave Frazier, Schmidt, king to start talks for Lindor or another TORP
    I think you might have to add an elite spec like Gil in there to get the Hader deal done IMO
    Last edited by dayners81; 10-18-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    I didn’t say any were trash . But as of today there is a strong argument that sevy could be not much more than that . Maybe when he is back in the mlb he proves his worth maybe he doesn’t but as of right now sevy is not a lot more than that at best
    Strong argument by whom? You? Sauron? What exactly is that based on, certainly not his record or regular season performance. One could also make a very strong argument based on his record and expected recover / rehab he could once again be an elite arm.

I agree he has a long road back. I also agree his history garners him no favor, he has to earn his spot. It seems Sevy is being held to a very different and much loftier standard than other pitchers of similar age and circumstance.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Stop using the rookie excuse for Garcia not being used in the playoffs . Buck showalter had no problem using a rookie pettitte to start a game in the 95 alds . Joe torte had no problem using joba and Hughes from the bullpen as rookies in the playoffs in 07 . Cashman stood pat at the deadline this year instead of trading Garcia . So if he chose to stick with Garcia at the deadline then there was no reason for Garcia to not start game 3 or 4 in the alds .

Scary but I actually agree with you. Look at all the rookies that have been used in the LC series. If Tanaka had started game 2 and Garcia game 3 or 4, Yanks may have played Houston. One never knows, but it was possible.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Yankees said they had a budget and Verlander didn't fit in that budget, but I'm pretty sure the money wasn't the problem, it was the fact that they didn't want to spend it on an aging scrub like Verlander. they had no problem spending it on Stanton for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I think anything we get out of Sevy going forward will be a bonus. IMO just coming back from nearly 3yrs not facing live hitting will be his biggest obstacle. IF, big if he is able to get his stuff back i would be fairly surprised if he wasn't pretty good in whatever role he ends up in. If he could be a power 2-3 inning fireman type, like what Hader is, that would be incredibly valuable. That kind of reliever is worth as much as a 2/3 type starter, just look at the Hader asking price. He may never be anything great again but until he's proven he can't be the guy he was I'll still hold out some hope

I would say the failure to block the Verlander trade and not getting him for ourselves probably cost us 2+ WS appearances. You add in the missed opportunities on Cole from the Pirates or the other handful of top pitchers Cashman passed on there is definitely a few WS titles we missed there
    Can someone please explain to me how the waiver wire works? As far as I understand it, all the Yankees had to do was put in a claim on Verlander and putting a claim does not actually mean that they do not have to work out a trade right?

Quote Originally Posted by 808yankee View Post
    Can someone please explain to me how the waiver wire works? As far as I understand it, all the Yankees had to do was put in a claim on Verlander and putting a claim does not actually mean that they do not have to work out a trade right?
    Not sure this will answer the question, but what I have gathered.

When a team wishes to release a player, it must first place his name on the waiver list. This allows any other major league team to claim the player's existing contract. The claim prevents the player from bargaining as a free agent for more money or refusing to sign with an unattractive team.

Verlander was placed on revocable waiver. Teams will place the vast majority of their rosters on revocable waivers in an effort to gauge interest and also as a smokescreen to mask which players they may actually be more amenable to trading. There’s no downside, after all, as each club has the right to pull a player back from waivers the first time that he is claimed.

That said, Verlander’s placement was among the more notable instances of this largely procedural move. With about $65.3MM owed to Verlander through the completion of the 2019 season, he was exceedingly likely to clear. At that point, the Tigers would be able to continue discussing trades with all 29 other teams in the league, though Verlander’s full no-trade clause and sizable contract would continue to serve as significant impediments to working out a trade. ( Crasnick reminds that Verlander’s no-trade protection would allow him to even veto a claim in the unlikely event that a club places a claim and the Tigers were willing to let him go for nothing.)

Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press reported that the Tigers were only willing to pay the remainder of Verlander’s 2017 salary — a sum that stood at about $9.33MM. That’d leave any team on the hook for $56MM from 2018-19 in the event of a Verlander trade. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...age-deals.html

The 34-year-old Verlander wasn't himself in 2017, he averaged fewer than six innings per start with an elevated 4.2 BB/9 rate and a diminished 8.7 K/9 rate. The deteriorated ground-ball rate he displayed in recent years has also held up, as he’s checked in at 33.9 percent in that regard. Overall, Verlander had a 4.29 ERA through 130 frames thru Aug. 2017, though his fastball velocity remained strong (95.2 mph average).
    Last edited by drt1010; 10-18-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    Well, as long as urshela is here, he's getting little time at 3rd. Left field would be their only real option. Like you say, he hasn't looked much better there, but not terrible. Then what do you do with Frazier?
    Yankees need to figure a way to move Stanton and play Andujar at DH. There is no other spot. He's ARB 1, coming off an injury and has played very little in the last 2 years, and has no position. Therefore, he has little, if any, trade value. Why trade a potentially valuable bat for a bag of balls? The time to move him was after that rookie year.

Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    Gary/Andujar and one or two c type fill ins for Hader.

Who hangs up first? I think it's fair. But might be biased as a yanks fan.

If I'm the Brewers GM, I stopped taking calls from you forever. You want Hader with several years of control, then I want Dominguez, Schmidt, Andujar and a lottery ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    If I'm the Brewers GM, I stopped taking calls from you forever. You want Hader with several years of control, then I want Dominguez, Schmidt, Andujar and a lottery ticket.
    You have to keep in mind the packages we got for Miller (who was making money) and 2 months of Chapman. Hader is more valuable than them due to his control. Takes 2 of your top 3 specs.

Also, keep in mind that Sanchez has zero value. Garbage. A catcher who can't catch. A DH who can't hit. And, he's gonna make like $7 mil.

Lastly, Andujar can be viewed as nothing more than a DH. And, even then its a risk because he hasn't played for 2 years (very few ABs this year and they weren't very promising). No value.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    You have to keep in mind the packages we got for Miller (who was making money) and 2 months of Chapman. Hader is more valuable than them due to his control. Takes 2 of your top 3 specs.

Also, keep in mind that Sanchez has zero value. Garbage. A catcher who can't catch. A DH who can't hit. And, he's gonna make like $7 mil.

Lastly, Andujar can be viewed as nothing more than a DH. And, even then its a risk because he hasn't played for 2 years (very few ABs this year and they weren't very promising). No value.
    Didn't say it would get it done. Just said who would hang up first.

I think its a starting point though. Don't think it gets it done. I only thought of it because some rumblings that both Sanchez and Andujar requested trades.

He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    In fairness to the poster’s original point, we should be not averse to moving one of Fraizer or Voit if an opportunity presents itself.

It would allow DJ (assuming we actually possess the requisite intelligence to re-sign him) to take over 1B, return Gleyber to 2B (which seems like his more natural position), slot in a high contact, high production hitter akin to DJ to his natural position at SS and retain a young, cost-controlled and VERY effective piece at his natural position at 3B.

I would seriously consider moving Voit in this scenario. I am further emboldened by the fact that Voit has proven highly inconsistent the past two years despite leading in HR’s in this unconventional season. Coupled with dumping Sanchez and his impending costly payday, it’s not the worst of ideas.

And yes.........I can fully appreciate the issue of advocating for 3 players that might top out team payroll at 95mil in two years plus the inevitable free agencies of Judge and Torres.

Window to win with this young core and Cole’s prime production years is right now and Brian Cashman and his merry band of Dorito sniffing, Monster swilling, overindulged data-mining geek squad spectacularly blew up one of those prime years.

And will be yet again allowed to continue defecating all over this once proud franchise with their ‘vision.’

24 years, 1championship come Opening Day 2021.

I wouldn't trade one of those players for extra defense at short, much less both for 30 millions dollars a year after 2021. But even if you did the trade, you're essentially removing GG defense at second and moving it to first, where it's not really essential. Lindor is more of a contact guy, like you said, but have you seen his lifetime BA with RISP? For all that extra contact it makes very little difference to his clutch hitting.

Voit was hurt last season and played through it, so I could see where youre coming from, with his numbers last season, but even with that said, he's still one of the most prolific hitters in the AL since 2017. That says a lot. I would be confident in expecting him to hit 40 home runs next season. He and frazier will be needed next season when Stanton and Judge go down.

Lindor's salary needs to be saved to obtain pitching. Scherzer, Verlander and Morton won't be cheap. I'll take any one of them over defense any day. Not to mention, Thor needs to be a serious consideration.

yanks need players who can get clutch hits in close playoffs games.. that is what is preventing the yanks from advancing..

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    yanks need players who can get clutch hits in close playoffs games.. that is what is preventing the yanks from advancing..
    Yankees need pitching that can win. 1 or 2 run games more often . A lot of the games in the lcs have been decided by 1 or 2 runs

Page 24 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast