Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    No such comparison exists. You are fabricating. See my post above for explanation.
    Thatís the thing , sevy hasnít even done anything compared to what those other pitchers did so why even bring them up ? If anything you only reneforced the reason why I am not convinced sevy would have made a difference in this yearís playoffs .

They all failed in the postseason. Some early in their careers, some more often than Sevy. Are they all trash? Sevy's regular season record is very good. He failed in the postseason 3 times.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,Ē JFK 1963.
    ďThe greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.Ē - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

They all failed in the postseason. Some early in their careers, some more often than Sevy. Are they all trash? Sevy's regular season record is very good. He failed in the postseason 3 times.
    Sevy has only pitched for two seasons to mixed reviews and been bad in the playoffs . Again there is no reason to bring up those other pitchers . Sevy has accomplished nothing yet , compared to those other pitchers . And Stan none of those pitchers listed missed most or all of three straight seasons due to injuries .

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Outside of glavine those other pitchers you listed arenít really great pitchers , I mean glavine is the only hall of famer on that list . They are good pitchers but not great . And besides glavine none of the others ever contributed to anything in the playoffs . Wakefield got his rings because of Pedro , schilling , manny and Ortiz . Gooden wasted his career on drugs , peavy was on mostly bad teams , price got his ring because of the players around him . And kershaw is an overrated hack who fails his team every year in the playoffs . So I donít understand the point you are trying to prove here other than you are a cashman fan .
    I'm not trying to pick a fight with you Posada but I have to disagree with you here, Glavine isn't the only hall of famer on the list. Kershaw is a no doubt hall of famer. Sure he's come up small in big moments in the postseason so far in his career but his longevity (10 years in a row with an ERA under 3.00) gets him in easily.

Kershaw reminds me a lot of A-Rod. Amazing regular season stats followed by postseason duds year after year. A-Rod (or A-Fraud whatever you want to call him) got his redemption in 2009. Watching that postseason first hand, no one can say A-Rod didn't have a major impact on getting the Yanks to the WS. If it weren't for him the Yankees would have 0 titles in the 21st century. Kershaw's career isn't over yet, we'll see if he has a A-Rod like postseason in the future or ends up like the Buffalo Bills.

Quote Originally Posted by 808yankee View Post
    I'm not trying to pick a fight with you Posada but I have to disagree with you here, Glavine isn't the only hall of famer on the list. Kershaw is a no doubt hall of famer. Sure he's come up small in big moments in the postseason so far in his career but his longevity (10 years in a row with an ERA under 3.00) gets him in easily.

Kershaw reminds me a lot of A-Rod. Amazing regular season stats followed by postseason duds year after year. A-Rod (or A-Fraud whatever you want to call him) got his redemption in 2009. Watching that postseason first hand, no one can say A-Rod didn't have a major impact on getting the Yanks to the WS. If it weren't for him the Yankees would have 0 titles in the 21st century. Kershaw's career isn't over yet, we'll see if he has a A-Rod like postseason in the future or ends up like the Buffalo Bills.
    That is my entire argument in a nutshell. Even the best, would be HOFers, have bad postseason history. Are they all trash?
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,Ē JFK 1963.
    ďThe greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.Ē - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    ďNot everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.Ē---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by 808yankee View Post

I never said kershaw would never make the hof , I said that glavine is the only hall of famer in that list and as of now it is true . Either way it makes no sense to bring up that list of good pitchers when sevy hasnít accomplished a thing yet . And because none of those pitchers listed missed most or all of three consecutive seasons .

That is my entire argument in a nutshell. Even the best, would be HOFers, have bad postseason history. Are they all trash?
    I didnít say any were trash . But as of today there is a strong argument that sevy could be not much more than that . Maybe when he is back in the mlb he proves his worth maybe he doesnít but as of right now sevy is not a lot more than that at best

Doc...........his last two points are pretty spot on.

Sevy MAY end up justifying the hype but he has A LOT of earning to do.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Gary/Andujar and one or two c type fill ins for Hader.

Who hangs up first? I think it's fair. But might be biased as a yanks fan.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post

In and out burger at Mrs. Ks house.

See you there.

He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Thatís has been my point all along . That and I never called or agreed with sevy being called trash.

IMO thats is the exact reason for the split opinions on Sevy. He had 2 top 5 Cy Young seasons at only 22-23 yrs old. The stuff was as good as anyone's in baseball. He struggled horribly in the playoffs and questioning his mental toughness ect is absolutely on point.

Our last memories are pretty ugly because of his playoff performances. That said he will have missed the better part of 3 season so until we actually have reports of how he's doing we really won't know what he's going to be able to pick up again after all that time. Pitchers get rusty after not facing live pitching after 1 winter, getting all his feel and touch back after 3yrs as well as the consistency he needs is going to be ruff to say the least.

If he gets his stuff back, as we saw for 2 seasons, he can be dominate but he shouldn't be counted on or given anything. He needs to prove/ earn his status back. I do think we are a better team with any version of Sevy healthy, starter or even as a reliever. IMO IF he makes it back it think he could be a huge asset going forward. If were not going into the season counting on him being anything more than being our possible 3/4 starter when/if he gets back i'd be on board with that. That way he wouldn't have the TOR pressure and he can just go out and pitch.

I completely agree that after missing all the time he has, he's got to earn his "elite" status back. I do think that he could end up being everything we have hoped he can be with Cole there to mentor him now. He's the same age and has very similar stuff as Cole did when he first started working with Verlander. If Cole, who's said how much he enjoys working with younger pitchers, can do for Sevy what Verlander was able to do for him, we'll have a hell of a pitcher on our hands.

Then again we should have never let Verlander get to Houston and he could have started mentoring Sevy yrs ago but thats another discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Thatís has been my point all along . That and I never called or agreed with sevy being called trash.
    No. Thatís all me.

Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    In and out burger at Mrs. Ks house.

See you there.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    IMO thats is the exact reason for the split opinions on Sevy. He had 2 top 5 Cy Young seasons at only 22-23 yrs old. The stuff was as good as anyone's in baseball. He struggled horribly in the playoffs and questioning his mental toughness ect is absolutely on point.

Our last memories are pretty ugly because of his playoff performances. That said he will have missed the better part of 3 season so until we actually have reports of how he's doing we really won't know what he's going to be able to pick up again after all that time. Pitchers get rusty after not facing live pitching after 1 winter, getting all his feel and touch back after 3yrs as well as the consistency he needs is going to be ruff to say the least.

If he gets his stuff back, as we saw for 2 seasons, he can be dominate but he shouldn't be counted on or given anything. He needs to prove/ earn his status back. I do think we are a better team with any version of Sevy healthy, starter or even as a reliever. IMO IF he makes it back it think he could be a huge asset going forward. If were not going into the season counting on him being anything more than being our possible 3/4 starter when/if he gets back i'd be on board with that. That way he wouldn't have the TOR pressure and he can just go out and pitch.

I completely agree that after missing all the time he has, he's got to earn his "elite" status back. I do think that he could end up being everything we have hoped he can be with Cole there to mentor him now. He's the same age and has very similar stuff as Cole did when he first started working with Verlander. If Cole, who's said how much he enjoys working with younger pitchers, can do for Sevy what Verlander was able to do for him, we'll have a hell of a pitcher on our hands.

Then again we should have never let Verlander get to Houston and he could have started mentoring Sevy yrs ago but thats another discussion
    My opinion, for what little thatís worth in the grand scheme of things, is to slot him in at #5 and tell him to earn that over Monty and a #4 over Deivi. Personally, I donít think heís up to the task but, if he does.....great. Makes us a better team.

If/when that doesnít pan out, I slot him in as a power mid-innings RP along with Greene and Kahnle.

Those limited doses, bereft of the pressure of having to constantly anchor the game, may be where Severinoís true value resides. He could be very effective as a power 2-3 inning stopper and, letís face it, that is something that we definitely need in the worst way. Think DRob in the playoffs.

And Day.........truer words than your last sentence have not been spoken round these parts.

Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast