Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 250 of 256 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252 ... LastLast
Results 3,736 to 3,750 of 3833
  1. #3736
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,058
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    I'm going to be on the fence on the German issue.

    Brian Cashman and the Yankees organization said that they were going to ensure that German has truly changed his behavior and is committed to it going forward, before they allowed him to pitch for the organization and that they were going to monitor him to ensure it happens. Well, evidently it did happen, because he seemed to turn a corner and they allowed him to pitch in winter ball and they continued to monitor him and now he is in fact pitching for the team with an equal chance of making the roster.

    While it is Britton's prerogative to give an opinion and he did not say anything wrong, he also could have said that his focus is the work he has to do on the field to get ready for the season and anything concerning another player should be discussed with that player and the Yankees organization. That's probably how Derek Jeter would have handled it.
    Precisely. A bit of diplomacy.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  2. #3737
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,797
    When it comes to the media these days there really isn’t such thing as diplomacy

  3. #3738
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,988
    Like it or not this is the simple facts. We need innings from our pitchers with so many guys being limited due to last yr or injuries. German was very good in 19 in multiple roles and it would be very hard to replace his production he's capable off when he's only making the league minimum.

    He payed a very heavy price, which he should have, for his domestic violence issues. He's payed his dues and like it or not the Yanks need what he can provide. I hate what he did but you can never have enough good, cheap pitching. He has shown the he can be successful both as a starter and a reliever

  4. #3739
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Like it or not this is the simple facts. We need innings from our pitchers with so many guys being limited due to last yr or injuries. German was very good in 19 in multiple roles and it would be very hard to replace his production he's capable off when he's only making the league minimum.

    He payed a very heavy price, which he should have, for his domestic violence issues. He's payed his dues and like it or not the Yanks need what he can provide. I hate what he did but you can never have enough good, cheap pitching. He has shown the he can be successful both as a starter and a reliever
    Very hard to replace him ? I can think of three guys on the roster right now who are capable of replacing him and a couple more in the minors who can be ready to by the deadline . I would have no problem with any of those guys taking his spot if it mean the headache was gone

  5. #3740
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Very hard to replace him ? I can think of three guys on the roster right now who are capable of replacing him and a couple more in the minors who can be ready to by the deadline . I would have no problem with any of those guys taking his spot if it mean the headache was gone
    Just out of curiosity who are the 3 guys on the roster right now who you think could replace Germans production

  6. #3741
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Just out of curiosity who are the 3 guys on the roster right now who you think could replace Germans production
    Garcia , king and Schmidt . Remember German has never pitched more than 143 innings in a year and his era was over. 4 . I think any of those three can give atleast 140 innings with around a 4 era or slightly higher . I mean look at what German is projected to do in that link earlier in this thread . Tell me how is it hard to replace about 90 innings and over a 4 era ? And if Medina abs Gil are as good as reports say they could be ready to give about 70 innings as starters combined after the deadline . And then there is sevy who if ready by July can give the yanks another 80 innings in the second half as well . Heck if tailon is ready for the rotation by opening day then the rotation should be Cole, kluber, Monty , tailon and Garcia . With German in the bullpen so yeah German is not hard to replace
    Last edited by Posada20; 02-19-2021 at 09:36 PM.

  7. #3742
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Earth is my turf
    Posts
    5,103
    Looks like Gardy signed 1 year 4MM with a club option. Welcome back Gardy. He needs to be looked at like a 4/5 OF.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

  8. #3743
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapin78 View Post
    Looks like Gardy signed 1 year 4MM with a club option. Welcome back Gardy. He needs to be looked at like a 4/5 OF.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dunno about you but 4 mill is a lot for a 4th or 5th outfielder

  9. #3744
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,058
    Has Garcia, King or Schmidt ever gone 18-4 ? Has any of them led the league in Win% at .818? Has any of them recorded 153K's in 143 IP? How bout a K/BB ratio of 3.92? A 122 career WHIP? How about a career ERA+ of 97? I think you get the pic!
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  10. #3745
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Has Garcia, King or Schmidt ever gone 18-4 ? Has any of them led the league in Win% at .818? Has any of them recorded 153K's in 143 IP? How bout a K/BB ratio of 3.92? A 122 career WHIP? How about a career ERA+ of 97? I think you get the pic!
    That was just one season and I already proved to you 2 months ago that his win loss record that year was mostly due to run support . German hasn’t proven anything and hasn’t pitched in the majors in 2 years so he has a long way to go before you can say he is hard to replace. I certainly think after the guts that Garcia showed in the playoffs last season , that he has earned a spot in the rotation over German . It takes a lot of guts and fortitude for a guy in the majors for less than 3 months to start a game 2 playoff game for the Yankees without completely melting down . I mean for Pete’s sake we are talking about a middle to back of the rotation pitcher with just one season under his belt not a torp or ace pitcher .
    Last edited by Posada20; 02-19-2021 at 09:58 PM.

  11. #3746
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    Garcia , king and Schmidt . Remember German has never pitched more than 143 innings in a year and his era was over. 4 . I think any of those three can give atleast 140 innings with around a 4 era or slightly higher . I mean look at what German is projected to do in that link earlier in this thread . Tell me how is it hard to replace about 90 innings and over a 4 era ? And if Medina abs Gil are as good as reports say they could be ready to give about 70 innings as starters combined after the deadline . And then there is sevy who if ready by July can give the yanks another 80 innings in the second half as well . Heck if tailon is ready for the rotation by opening day then the rotation should be Cole, kluber, Monty , tailon and Garcia . With German in the bullpen so yeah German is not hard to replace
    While i do think Garcia and Schmidt will have that kinda of impact ability but they still need reps IMO. I don't have King anywhere close to German, Garcia, Schmidt.

    IMO those projection on German are off, i have a hard time believing he won't out perform them fairly easily. I don't care for German either but i do think u are under estimating Germans ability. He could be absolutely deadly for multiple innings out of the BP. Were planning on carrying 14 pitchers this season and i don't see there being 14 guys that are better than German

    I didn't get to see anything but Gils highlights this winter but i watched 4 of Medina's starts this winter. Medina needs reps to develop, he needs to learn to pitch with a plan, pitch sequencing as well continuing to refine his command and control. While his stuff may allow him to fly through AA/AAA rushing him into the rotation would be a mistake. With all the other arms we have ahead of him there shouldn't be a need to rush him. Its far more important that they develop those kids fully as starters because of our long term need for TORP.

    I could definitely see them calling guys like Medina, Gil, Viz in Sept and see how they do out of the BP but they should keep them working as starters as long as they can. All these kids were talking about are 21-23 and have an entire lost development yr, they are going to need a little more developmental time before they are ready
    Last edited by dayners81; 02-19-2021 at 10:09 PM.

  12. #3747
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    That was just one season and I already proved to you 2 months ago that his win loss record that year was mostly due to run support . German hasn’t proven anything and hasn’t pitched in the majors in 2 years so he has a long way to go before you can say he is hard to replace. I certainly think after the guts that Garcia showed in the playoffs last season , that he has earned a spot in the rotation over German . It takes a lot of guts and fortitude for a guy in the majors for less than 3 months to start a game 2 playoff game for the Yankees without completely melting down . I mean for Pete’s sake we are talking about a middle of the rotation pitcher with just one season under his belt not a torp or ace pitcher .
    Garcia showed guts? I like the kid, but clearly he was not ready for prime time.

    Your argument is weak. Run support may account for some of his W-L,(which is in itself debatable, others received the same or more) but not the peripherals. German has proven far more at this juncture than the three you mentioned. I like all our arms so I don't feel comfortable disparaging anyone to make a point. Suffice to say in limited innings German is head and shoulders above the other three statistically.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin




  13. #3748
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    While i do think Garcia and Schmidt will have that kinda of impact ability but they still need reps IMO. I don't have King anywhere close to German, Garcia, Schmidt.

    IMO those projection on German are off, i have a hard time believing he won't out perform them fairly easily. I don't care for German either but i do think u are under estimating Germans ability. He could be absolutely deadly for multiple innings out of the BP. Were planning on carrying 14 pitchers this season and i don't see there being 14 guys that are better than German

    I didn't get to see anything but Gils highlights this winter but i watched 4 of Medina's starts this winter. Medina needs reps to develop, he needs to learn to pitch with a plan, pitch sequencing as well continuing to refine his command and control. While his stuff may allow him to fly through AA/AAA rushing him into the rotation would be a mistake. With all the other arms we have ahead of him there shouldn't be a need to rush him. Its far more important that they develop those kids fully as starters because of our long term need for TORP.
    Well I don’t think those projections for German are far off at all . I mean if the rotation stays mostly healthy and sevy comes back on time is it really hard to believe that German pitches less than 100 innings this year ? I also don’t see how German is being under estimated when he only has one season under his belt and that was 2 years ago . And he couldn’t make it that year for the whole season as a starter since he was moved to the bullpen in the last month of the season due to his second half struggles . And btw as many wins he got that year he only complied a war of 2.1 , and a 2 war rating is just average not even very good
    Last edited by Posada20; 02-19-2021 at 10:20 PM.

  14. #3749
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    9,988
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Garcia showed guts? I like the kid, but clearly he was not ready for prime time.

    Your argument is weak. Run support may account for some of his W-L,(which is in itself debatable, others received the same or more) but not the peripherals. German has proven far more at this juncture than the three you mentioned. I like all our arms so I don't feel comfortable disparaging anyone to make a point. Suffice to say in limited innings German is head and shoulders above the other three statistically.
    Completely agree. Do you think we have 14 better pitchers that are MLB ready than German. Its easy to forget that German has had success as a bulk inning reliever, a 1 inning reliever and a starter. Were going to need that kind of versatility when we have starters like Kluber, Taillon and eventually Sevy

  15. #3750
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Completely agree. Do you think we have 14 better pitchers that are MLB ready than German. Its easy to forget that German has had success as a bulk inning reliever, a 1 inning reliever and a starter. Were going to need that kind of versatility when we have starters like Kluber, Taillon and eventually Sevy
    What success has he had as a reliever ? In 18 his era was well over 4 with a losing record as mostly a reliever .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •