Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 178 of 256 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 3833
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Maybe the Yankees plan is to stay under $210 million. So is the Mets plan, by the way, per Cohen. The Yankees are shrewd business people and so is Cohen.

One thing, I don't know is how the luxury tax works for a shortened season. On an annualized basis, I read that the Yanks supposedly had a $265 million payroll last year and $89 million came off the books, but $55 million of that included Tanaka ($23 M), DJ ($13 M), Gardner ($10 M), and Paxton ($8 M ?), among others like Kratz, Holder, etc.. I also don't know where Britton's $13 million fits in the equation. Does the annualized luxury tax rate apply for a shortened season or will it become moot because a new contract is being negotiated with the players.

Whether you believe it or not, they claim to have lost more money than any team in baseball. So maybe with even greater pending losses forthcoming for the current season, they will indeed tow the line at $210 million. So,let's take $265 million and subtract $89 million and add back $10 million for arbitration raises and we are at $186 million, leaving us $24 million to get to $210 million. If we go to the next level of luxury tax, we would be at (I'm unsure) $230 million, so we have $24 million (DJ only) for the 1st level and $44 million (?) for the second level.

Business people don't typically take on increased fixed costs when revenues dry up. They do the minimum to achieve their goals.

As for acquiring a shortstop next year that could be their plan. They've done it before and fans have had to wait one year for the big spending year that follows. If they have their eyes on one of Seager, Lindor or Story for a 10 year $30 million contract, so be it. Perhaps Carrasco's 3 year deal messes up that spending deal for next year or messes up their willingness to trade for Lindor and sign him immediately for close to $30 million knowing that they would have to pay Carrasco $13 million on top of that for a total of $43 million. DJ for $22 million, Tanaka for $10 million, another pitcher (Paxton) for $8 million and Gardner for $3 million, could possibly be re-signed for that money and you don't have to give up Frazier, Andujar and pitching specs.
    I think Cohen will end up being great for NY baseball and the Yankees. His moves will force them to make moves.

Ignorance is bliss

Cashman needs to go. He has become complacent and too proud of finding players like Voit on the cheap. Sure he has done that several times, but he also lets opportunities escape. He has not been bad. However, it’s time for fresh start.

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    PJO34 admitted to saying so , you would know that if you bothered to actually read the following page that had his response to it . But instead you are only looking for my posts to attack me on .
    No Jorge, I read the post carefully and in fact commented on it. It was a positive upbeat appraisal of the Yankees prospects. Imo in response to your interminable negativity and monotonous one note diatribe against the team, it's management and it's players.

Rather than play the victim, running and hiding from the fires you set, be a man and accept responsibility and accountability for your own words. (I assume you are male)
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Maybe the Yankees plan is to stay under $210 million. So is the Mets plan, by the way, per Cohen. The Yankees are shrewd business people and so is Cohen.

One thing, I don't know is how the luxury tax works for a shortened season. On an annualized basis, I read that the Yanks supposedly had a $265 million payroll last year and $89 million came off the books, but $55 million of that included Tanaka ($23 M), DJ ($13 M), Gardner ($10 M), and Paxton ($8 M ?), among others like Kratz, Holder, etc.. I also don't know where Britton's $13 million fits in the equation. Does the annualized luxury tax rate apply for a shortened season or will it become moot because a new contract is being negotiated with the players.

Whether you believe it or not, they claim to have lost more money than any team in baseball. So maybe with even greater pending losses forthcoming for the current season, they will indeed tow the line at $210 million. So,let's take $265 million and subtract $89 million and add back $10 million for arbitration raises and we are at $186 million, leaving us $24 million to get to $210 million. If we go to the next level of luxury tax, we would be at (I'm unsure) $230 million, so we have $24 million (DJ only) for the 1st level and $44 million (?) for the second level.

Business people don't typically take on increased fixed costs when revenues dry up. They do the minimum to achieve their goals.

As for acquiring a shortstop next year that could be their plan. They've done it before and fans have had to wait one year for the big spending year that follows. If they have their eyes on one of Seager, Lindor or Story for a 10 year $30 million contract, so be it. Perhaps Carrasco's 3 year deal messes up that spending deal for next year or messes up their willingness to trade for Lindor and sign him immediately for close to $30 million knowing that they would have to pay Carrasco $13 million on top of that for a total of $43 million. DJ for $22 million, Tanaka for $10 million, another pitcher (Paxton) for $8 million and Gardner for $3 million, could possibly be re-signed for that money and you don't have to give up Frazier, Andujar and pitching specs.
    I guess we could also factor in the $3.47B in debt they (Yankee Global Enterprises) took on in reacquiring the majority (80%) stake in the YES network. Does it factor into the on field decision making? IDK What I do know, Hal is a bean counter, as such he probably watches the cost of toilet paper and paper cups in the club house.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I think Cohen will end up being great for NY baseball and the Yankees. His moves will force them to make moves.
    We can only hope. Hal is not cut from the same cloth as George, his competitive., winning is everything persona may have skipped a generation.

I do agree Cohen was the best thing that could have happened for the Mets. His deep pockets and business savvy is refreshing change celebrated by all Met fans. I don't imagine too many tears were shed as the Wilpons made their exit.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I guess we could also factor in the $3.47B in debt they (Yankee Global Enterprises) took on in reacquiring the majority (80%) stake in the YES network. Does it factor into the on field decision making? IDK What I do know, Hal is a bean counter, as such he probably watches the cost of toilet paper and paper cups in the club house.
    edit: Amazon and Sinclair are partners and help defray the debt load. I haven't been able to locate an actual breakdown, but it would seem Yankees are on the hook for $1.4B. The Yankees will be the majority shareholder with a 26% stake, while Sinclair will own 20%. Amazon has a 15%.

We can only hope. Hal is not cut from the same cloth as George, his competitive., winning is everything persona may have skipped a generation.

I do agree Cohen was the best thing that could have happened for the Mets. His deep pockets and business savvy is refreshing change celebrated by all Met fans. I don't imagine too many tears were shed as the Wilpons made their exit.
    I said in another post that Hal could be his mother's son and not his father's. It appears that is the case.
    He is running the team safely and as a commodity, not as the Yankees Evil Empire.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    They say this now but then they'll sign DJ for 4-5 years. Next year they will say that DJ and Torres have the middle IF locked up for multiple years and pass on every FA SS.
    I will not be shocked if they let DJ walk, sign Didi for 2 years and wait for Peraza

Ignorance is bliss

No Jorge, I read the post carefully and in fact commented on it. It was a positive upbeat appraisal of the Yankees prospects. Imo in response to your interminable negativity and monotonous one note diatribe against the team, it's management and it's players.

Rather than play the victim, running and hiding from the fires you set, be a man and accept responsibility and accountability for your own words. (I assume you are male)
    I read PJs post and found nothing negative about it. Whiny, *****y and negative with zero foundation, zero intelligence and zero insight? No.

Realistic? yes.

Doc, I think I understand. If I use the word "is", in my post and someone (Shall we say and ignorant fan who doesn't watch games and cries about everything) reads my post and then they use the word "is". If they only focus on that word, they will believe we said the same thing. It's extremely myopic, to the extreme but it could be the reason such posters sound like suck idiots, so frequently.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    For the last time I don’t gamble . And if you must press me for why I don’t gamble it’s because my personal beliefs make me not able to gamble . Besides that was just a question meant for everyone who felt the mets would do worse than the Yankees . But after that trade and cashman with his dumpster diving , can you really still say the mets will be worse than the Yankees ?

You NEVER claimed you don't or can't gamble. In fact you said you had to wait to see how the rosters stacked up.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

I read PJs post and found nothing negative about it. Whiny, *****y and negative with zero foundation, zero intelligence and zero insight? No.

Realistic? yes.

Doc, I think I understand. If I use the word "is", in my post and someone (Shall we say and ignorant fan who doesn't watch games and cries about everything) reads my post and then they use the word "is". If they only focus on that word, they will believe we said the same thing. It's extremely myopic, to the extreme but it could be the reason such posters sound like suck idiots, so frequently.
    None so blind as those that refuse to see.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    OMG the Mets are officially better than the Yankees!

Officially? How so?
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

I will not be shocked if they let DJ walk, sign Didi for 2 years and wait for Peraza
    I am starting to believe the same. It begs the question, if they aren't spending on DJ why not take the shot at Lindor? Didi on a one year deal with a possible option is an excellent fall back / stop gap until the 2022 class of FA SS is available or Peraza is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    if the mets could get springer and bauer they would own nyc..baseball

IF I could hit one of those lottery jackpots, I would own my town. At least on paper anyway.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    IF I could hit one of those lottery jackpots, I would own my town. At least on paper anyway.
    LOL I thought the same when I first read it. Hell might as well add Trout and Kershaw to the team. If you are going to dream, dream IN BIG DIMENSIONS!