Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 49 of 93 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    The Yankees have 3 decisions to make in the next 5 days:

Zack Britton: If Yankees don't exercise his $14M option for 2022, Britton can either stay in 2021 ($13M) or opt out and become a free agent now.

Brett Gardner: $10M club option ($2.5M buyout)

J.A. Happ: $17M club option
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    “The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people.” - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    The Yankees have 3 decisions to make in the next 5 days:

Zack Britton: If Yankees don't exercise his $14M option for 2022, Britton can either stay in 2021 ($13M) or opt out and become a free agent now.

Brett Gardner: $10M club option ($2.5M buyout)

J.A. Happ: $17M club option
    Britt: Yes please

Gardy/Happ: No thanks

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Does anyone know where we are salary wise ? I've read several different numbers and depending on what that number is its going to have a huge effect on what we do this off season

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Does anyone know where we are salary wise ? I've read several different numbers and depending on what that number is its going to have a huge effect on what we do this off season
    I've read $169M (includes arb estimate, buy outs, benefits) which would leave roughly $40M under Hal's mandated "cap."

Spotrac has it at $145M includes benefits, ( not arb).

According to Cot’s Baseball Contracts, the Yankees currently have $135,217,000 already committed in payroll for next season.

The highest-paid is Gerrit Cole, who is averaging $36 million until 2028. After him is Giancarlo Stanton at $29 million and then Aroldis Chapman at $16 million.

Here’s who else is guaranteed:

Zack Britton: $13 million
    Aaron Hicks: $10.789 million
    Luis Severino: $10.750
    Brett Gardner: $2.5 million (buyout money if Yanks don’t want to exercise $10 million 2021 option)
    Adam Ottavino: $8.850 million

EXPECTED ARBITRATION RAISES FOR 2021

That committed $135 million will definitely be going up with 12 arbitration-eligible players for the Yankees this offseason. Of course, the Yankees would love to hammer out deals with players before they reach arbitration, but we know that doesn’t always work out that way (i.e. Dellin Betances in the past).

Here’s are the expected arbitration raises, per MLB Trade Rumors:

Aaron Judge: $10.7 million
    Gary Sanchez: $6.4 million
    Luke Voit: $7.9 million
    Gio Urshela: $5.2 million
    Gleyber Torres: $3.4 million
    Tommy Kahnle: $2.7 million
    Jordan Montgomery: $2 million
    Clint Frazier: $2.6 million
    Chad Green: $2.2 million
    Luis Cessa: $1.3 million
    Jonathon Holder: $1 million
    Ben Heller: $800K

Estimates could be higher or lower.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Thanks Doc

I think they probably have to DFA Kahnle since he won;t pitch at all next yr. I'm not sure we couldn't find cheaper option as good or better than Cessa, Holder and Heller. That would be a massive raise for Voit in his first yr of arbitration

If Hal is really going to stick to being under 210m and we are able to resign DJ that doesn't leave much money to upgrade the pitching staff.

We basically have a 2yr window left with the main pieces of this core, its time to go all in. If they are not going to go all in they need to extract max value from the pieces we have now to help shape the next core group. It seems like they are just preparing us to basically go with what we have and hope with the pitching we have coming back and the specs we have coming that will be enough.

I think either you go all in or start a quick rebuild instead of wasting another prime yr of this teams core and now Cole also

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Elite pitching and a deep staff is great for a big playoff run but not 100% necessary. Sure, this season the top 2 teams actually made it to the WS and the top seeded team won it all but that sure ain't the norm. It's all about which team is healthy and hot coming in to October.

....and no, in terms of starting pitching, the Giants did not have "a lot more than just Bumgarner" in '14 (the year I very specifically referred to prior to you shifting the goalposts as you love to do). They had Jake Peavy, Tim Hudson, and Ryan Vogelsong who were all at the tail end of their careers as their 2-4 guys that playoff run.

Unlike you, I actually watch these games and know what I'm talking about.
    I said they had a lot more than just bumgarder when it came the team as a whole . As for their starting pitching it was bumgardner that basically won that series for the giants , he started 2 games and pitched 5 shutout innings in relief so along with a good enough offense they won that ws. . The thing is neither team in that ws had great starting pitching overall since it went 7 games and the giants scored 11 in one of them . The difference in the end was bumgardner who in this case was enough to win the ws that year. Cole would be that now for the Yankees . The Yankees could pull that off with Cole if there weren’t teams that were actually better than them like the rays , and the dodgers . Giants didn’t face any teams in the playoffs that had pitching or hitting like the dodgers and rays have now .

Thanks Doc

I think they probably have to DFA Kahnle since he won;t pitch at all next yr. I'm not sure we couldn't find cheaper option as good or better than Cessa, Holder and Heller. That would be a massive raise for Voit in his first yr of arbitration

If Hal is really going to stick to being under 210m and we are able to resign DJ that doesn't leave much money to upgrade the pitching staff.

We basically have a 2yr window left with the main pieces of this core, its time to go all in. If they are not going to go all in they need to extract max value from the pieces we have now to help shape the next core group. It seems like they are just preparing us to basically go with what we have and hope with the pitching we have coming back and the specs we have coming that will be enough.

I think either you go all in or start a quick rebuild instead of wasting another prime yr of this teams core and now Cole also
    I agree Dayne. Rock and a hard spot. As has been mentioned by others the window is now. Imo the Yankees do NOT rebuild. Problem is will Hal go all in? Will he relax his austerity plan once again as he did for Cole? I have said and maintain, Sevy and German's absence can not be discounted. Imo they could have been difference makers THIS season. Going forward the scenario is a bit different. Tanaka, Paxton, DJ and Happ will be coming off. Imo Tanaka is worth a QO, DJ will be more expensive and every effort should be made to keep him in pinstripes. Pax and Happ are history.

Will the $40M be enough to resign DJ and attract a quality arm? Are the return of German and Sevy with Cessa, Holder, Heller, Schmidt and Loisiga enough to fill the voids? They have Cole, Monty and Garcia, after that mostly questions. They desperately need a #2 behind Cole. Do they spend or roll the dice with what they have in house hoping Sevy returns to form and fills a spot? Cole, Tanaka, Sevy, Garcia, Monty, Schmidt, King?

Do they trade Voit, Sanchez, Andujar, Tauchman? Do they move Torres off SS, if so is he trade bait? I've read rumors about a Didi return. DJ to 2B full time. Too many questions. However I firmly believe there is talent here which precludes a complete tear down with wholesale change.

I've read that its $183M, including expected ARB pay outs and keeping Britton. That leaves about $27M below the $210M cap.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I agree Dayne. Rock and a hard spot. As has been mentioned by others the window is now. Imo the Yankees do NOT rebuild. Problem is will Hal go all in? Will he relax his austerity plan once again as he did for Cole? I have said and maintain, Sevy and German's absence can not be discounted. Imo they could have been difference makers THIS season. Going forward the scenario is a bit different. Tanaka, Paxton, DJ and Happ will be coming off. Imo Tanaka is worth a QO, DJ will be more expensive and every effort should be made to keep him in pinstripes. Pax and Happ are history.

Will the $40M be enough to resign DJ and attract a quality arm? Are the return of German and Sevy with Cessa, Holder, Heller, Schmidt and Loisiga enough to fill the voids? They have Cole, Monty and Garcia, after that mostly questions. They desperately need a #2 behind Cole. Do they spend or roll the dice with what they have in house hoping Sevy returns to form and fills a spot? Cole, Tanaka, Sevy, Garcia, Monty, Schmidt, King?

Do they trade Voit, Sanchez, Andujar, Tauchman? Do they move Torres off SS, if so is he trade bait? I've read rumors about a Didi return. DJ to 2B full time. Too many questions. However I firmly believe there is talent here which precludes a complete tear down with wholesale change.
    There's only about $27M below the $210M cap. Absent shedding payroll, its going to be difficult to do anything significant beyond extending DJ or Tanaka. The only way to keep the window open is to spend. Given the potential covid impact (think the Yankees lost $200M in 60 games in 2020), I doubt spending is in the cards. Time to blow it up and roll with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    There's only about $27M below the $210M cap. Absent shedding payroll, its going to be difficult to do anything significant beyond extending DJ or Tanaka. The only way to keep the window open is to spend. Given the potential covid impact (think the Yankees lost $200M in 60 games in 2020), I doubt spending is in the cards. Time to blow it up and roll with the kids.
    Can't be a legitimate contender in 2020 without getting at least 2 arms, one of which needs to be a TORP. None of the internal options have pitched 100 innings annually in close to 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    Can't be a legitimate contender in 2020 without getting at least 2 arms, one of which needs to be a TORP. None of the internal options have pitched 100 innings annually in close to 3 years.
    If you DFA Sanchez and move Judge and Voit, you can free up another $25M. Also, the return on Judge, Voit, Andujar and some minor league assets should bring you some pitching and enable you time extend DJ. I can't clearly see any other way forward.

Get below the cap in 2021. Go over in 2022 for Lindor when you reset and have more clarity on future revenue.

Who gets a QO? I would think Tanaka, Paxton, and DJ, right? Tanaka may take it which would limit our exposure to one year with him. DJ and Paxton would probably not which means we would get draft picks if someone else signed them.

Also, since the Yankees have a competitive advantage with regard to money, it would be a dumb time to go cheap. Use that advantage other teams do not have to go all in during the next two years and try to get two championships with this current core. That is why Bauer would be a great signing if he were serious about going year to year. Even if the Yankees had to operate at a loss for the next two years, big deal. They will always be able to make more money, and banners fly forever.

If they can't come to a long term deal with DJ they will offer him a QO. No way do they give either Tanaka or Paxton a QO, especially in this market. Paxton wasn't healthy all yr , had a absolute ton of Velo and Spin loss and has a bad injury history. I would be shocked if he got any offer remotely close to the 18.1m QO, i'd guess 5-8m range with performance bonuses

Tanaka in a yr when the league didn't lose a ton of money i could possibly see a QO but not this yr. Most FA prediction have Tank signing a 2-3yr deal in 12-15m per range

The whole league is crying poor and looking to slash payroll and they are expecting a record amount of non tender players this winter also. The top guys on the market like Bauer, Realmuto, Springer and DJ are going to get paid top dollar but those mid tier guys are going to have a tough time IMO

I didn't realize the Yanks were only 1 of 2 teams not to have a minor league instructional camp. If they are cash strapped enough to put their player development on pause, we can forget about any big signings.

I didn't realize the Yanks were only 1 of 2 teams not to have a minor league instructional camp. If they are cash strapped enough to put their player development on pause, we can forget about any big signings.
    Then we can likely forget about seeing a championship anytime soon and getting Cole was for nothing

Page 49 of 93 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast