Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Brian Cashman made the most of what he was allowed to pursue this winter. Agree?

YANKEES EDITORIALS & REACTIONS
    Brian Cashman made the most of what he was allowed to pursue this winter
    Cashman’s offseason dealings within his allotted budget constitute an impressive achievement.

By Peter Brody@PBrods7 Feb 25, 2021, 8:00am EST

With the Justin Wilson and Brett Gardner signings having been made official by the Yankees, it is fair to assume that the team’s winter business is complete. There likely will be no further major league signings, although adding a handful of guys on minor league deals with invites to camp is not out of the question. That being the case, it’s worth taking a step back to evaluate the job Brian Cashman has done in assembling his roster for the upcoming season.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2021/...mahieu-gardner

What say the PSD faithful? Could he have done more given the constraints of the luxury tax induced budget? Are you satisfied with what he was able to accomplish? Did he extract max value from the deals made? Constructive criticism always welcome, Cashman bashing for the sake of bashing, save it for another thread!

DJ signing was big imo. Kluber and Tallion also note worthy. I have higher expectation of Tallion than Kluber. As mentioned elsewhere I am a bit concerned about Kluber's age and health. The boots on the ground (scouts and talent evaluators) liked what they saw. Cashman had $35M to work with, not exactly big money given the financial landscape in the MLB today. Imo he stretched it as far as possible and extracted max value. Time will tell.
    "Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality,” JFK 1963.
    "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you." - Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Well, he was given two mandatory directives: re-sign DJ and stay under the $210 million. He did the first at a very affordable price. Then, he settled all the arbitration cases and didn't give away the store. He signed a starting pitcher, traded for another starting pitcher, traded an expensive reliever for salary relief, signed a decent reliever for small dollars. Paid a buyout of $2.5 million to prevent having to pay $10 million for one of his OFs and then re-signed that same OF for $2.85 million. He signed some catching depth, invited multiple arms to camp on minor league contracts, all while managing the 40 man roster and keeping the key prospects in the organization.

in addition, you could say he had only $35 million to spend, but he was always going to have to sign DJ and a starter and he also wouldn't have even had the $35 miilion without the trade for Ottavino or the successfully negotiated arbitration deals.

I could nitpick, but overall excellent performance.

If either Britton or Chapman have an off year this season, the yankees are going to be in serious trouble if no one in that bullpen steps up. O'Day and Wilson are simply not enough to provide what they need in the playoffs. That's how badly Cashman did in upgrading their relief this year. The rotation i would say, he made some good gambles based on potential. There weren't many options this year outside of Bauer. I honestly thought they would sign Morton and perhaps Garret Richards, which would have been the safer bets over Taillon and Kluber.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    If either Britton or Chapman have an off year this season, the yankees are going to be in serious trouble if no one in that bullpen steps up. O'Day and Wilson are simply not enough to provide what they need in the playoffs. That's how badly Cashman did in upgrading their relief this year. The rotation i would say, he made some good gambles based on potential. There weren't many options this year outside of Bauer. I honestly thought they would sign Morton and perhaps Garret Richards, which would have been the safer bets over Taillon and Kluber.
    You may be right or he may be right, but he went with his intel. He hired and committed the organization to these top pitching analytics experts and they worked with Kluber and Taillon, so they gave him the thumbs up. He went with his expert's recommendations. In the end, that's a reasonable way to go, no matter how it turns out.

Personally, I might have not signed Kluber and might have given Britton the opportunity to opt out and if he did, sign Tanaka and Hendricks.

Hopefully, his experts are right and hopefully, it's a moot point, because of the up and coming arms in the minors.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Doc, under the constraints of cashflow, at least on the surface, he did ok.
    What we don't know is if he tried for other moves , like finding a spot for Stanton to clear up space to sign a better option.
    He did nothing to change the lineup. Yes he singed DJ but that was an absolute no brainer.
    IMO this team needs a bat like Brantley and given the choice of him or Stanton? I think you know where I stand.
    In the scenario presented, Cashman did ok but I still believe he is a poor GM and the cap is convenient excuse.

Is this lineup good enough to win a WS? Yes but only if the pitching is lights out from Cole to Chapman.and everyone in between. If it isn't, we are looking at the new Yankee norm, make the playoffs and hope the other teams pitching falters.

Ignorance is bliss

All cashman did this past off season outside of dj and Gardner , was buy a handful of lottery tickets . And if some of them do indeed payoff , it still won’t change my opinion of him being a mediocre GM .
    Last edited by Posada20; 02-26-2021 at 08:52 AM.