Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 251 of 256 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,765 of 3834
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Garcia showed guts? I like the kid, but clearly he was not ready for prime time.

Your argument is weak. Run support may account for some of his W-L,(which is in itself debatable, others received the same or more) but not the peripherals. German has proven far more at this juncture than the three you mentioned. I like all our arms so I don't feel comfortable disparaging anyone to make a point. Suffice to say in limited innings German is head and shoulders above the other three statistically.
    My argument is not weak , 9 of his wins that year came when the yanks scored 5 or more runs and his era in those games was over 5 . So try again . And one season is hardly head and shoulders more than the kids we have now . I mean Garcia has started a game in the playoffs that is more than German has ever done. I tell you what is weak is harping on a win loss record to prove your point about a pitcher when a guy who won less than 15 games won a cy young not long ago . And win/loss records was proven years ago to not be a good measure of how good a pitcher is.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/294793-why-pitchers-win-loss-records-have-lost-significance
    Last edited by Posada20; 02-19-2021 at 10:31 PM.

I don't think the Yanks' coaching staff is going to care a damn about what
    Posada or any of the rest of us think about who makes the team's pitching staff. I don't know about the rest of you but my baseball career ended as a high school senior 55+ years ago so that is probably for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Posada20 View Post
    My argument is not weak , 9 of his wins that year came when the yanks scored 5 or more runs and his era in those games was over 5 . So try again . And one season is hardly head and shoulders more than the kids we have now . I mean Garcia has started a game in the playoffs that is more than German has ever done
    Check on Cy Young winner Verlander run support in that same season. Peripherals tell a much more complete and detailed story.

How many seasons has Garcia pitched? King? Schmidt? Oh.

German was in contention for the Cy Young in 2019 playing at the league minimum salary! Give credit when due. I don't condone his behavior any more than you, the difference I am willing to put my personal feelings aside and take a more objective view. I despised ARod for most of his career, however I will readily acknowledge his ability and contributions. You on the other hand seem to be blinded to certain realities based on emotion and personal feelings toward German.

What success has he had as a reliever ? In 18 his era was well over 4 with a losing record as mostly a reliever .
    You really think they have 14 better options than German? Stuff wise he's probably in the top 7.

No one has to like him but if he can significantly out performs his salary he has value. In this case he's making less than 1.5m and with teams valuing each win around 8-9m each even if he has another 2 WAR season he would outperform his cost by a minimum of 14m. They aren't going to get rid of that kind of value because he's not well liked.

He did an awful thing but he;s been punished and reinstated. We need cheap quality innings and German is capable of doing that from number of different roles

With no pitchers able to reach 100 innings in ' 20, very few will be able to go many more than 150 -175, I would guess.As a result, teams will need either a 6-m starting staff or a lot more innings from their pens.Has there been any talk of increasing roster sizes to at least 27 for 2021?

Check on Cy Young winner Verlander run support in that same season. Peripherals tell a much more complete and detailed story.

How many seasons has Garcia pitched? King? Schmidt? Oh.

German was in contention for the Cy Young in 2019 playing at the league minimum salary! Give credit when due. I don't condone his behavior any more than you, the difference I am willing to put my personal feelings aside and take a more objective view. I despised ARod for most of his career, however I will readily acknowledge his ability and contributions. You on the other hand seem to be blinded to certain realities based on emotion and personal feelings toward German.
    Again it was one season and yeah verlander had good run support as well . But he also pitched 80 innings more with an era a hell of a lot better . As for German in cy young contention , could you show me where it says he was in contention for it ? I have only found articles written in august of 2019 that give an opinion that he could have been in cy young contention . And the only reality is , is that German has had only one full season as a starter and before that season he didnít do well at all either . And on top of that he has not pitched in 2 years . To expect him to be anything more than a middle of the rotation pitcher is just not being realistic

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    You really think they have 14 better options than German? Stuff wise he's probably in the top 7.

No one has to like him but if he can significantly out performs his salary he has value. In this case he's making less than 1.5m and with teams valuing each win around 8-9m each even if he has another 2 WAR season he would outperform his cost by a minimum of 14m. They aren't going to get rid of that kind of value because he's not well liked.

He did an awful thing but he;s been punished and reinstated. We need cheap quality innings and German is capable of doing that from number of different roles
    A 2 war season is not worth going through the headaches they are currently going through with him . You donít think their patience is wearing thin right now ? Like it or not we are currently living in a very politically correct culture and wife/gf beating wonít be easily looked over like it was with Chapman . So donít think German is as indispensable as you think he is . Heck his low salary might even make it easier to dump him .

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    With no pitchers able to reach 100 innings in ' 20, very few will be able to go many more than 150 -175, I would guess.As a result, teams will need either a 6-m starting staff or a lot more innings from their pens.Has there been any talk of increasing roster sizes to at least 27 for 2021?
    Nope they are leaving it at 26. Boone has said that they may go with a 6man rotation but they are for sure going to 14 pitchers.
    I agree they are going to need to find alot of innings somewhere. We have quite a bit of pitching depth, the question mark is going to be health. If our pitchers stay mostly healthy we could have quite the pitching staff

Again it was one season and yeah verlander had good run support as well . But he also pitched 80 innings more with an era a hell of a lot better . As for German in cy young contention , could you show me where it says he was in contention for it ? I have only found articles written in august of 2019 that give an opinion that he could have been in cy young contention . And the only reality is , is that German has had only one full season as a starter and before that season he didnít do well at all either . And on top of that he has not pitched in 2 years . To expect him to be anything more than a middle of the rotation pitcher is just not being realistic
    i'm not sure anyone is expecting him to be better than a 3-4 starter or middle inning BP arm. While i agree it's probably unrealistic to think he's going to be a TORP or our 8th-9th inning guy, i still think with his stuff and versatility he's definitely going to be one of our top 14 best pitchers. There is value in that and with the health and durability issue we have as well as our young kids like Garcia, Schmidt and King haven't exactly shown to be MLB proven yet. With the needs we could potential have for alot of innings were not in the position just to throw away German for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Nope they are leaving it at 26. Boone has said that they may go with a 6man rotation but they are for sure going to 14 pitchers.
    I agree they are going to need to find alot of innings somewhere. We have quite a bit of pitching depth, the question mark is going to be health. If our pitchers stay mostly healthy we could have quite the pitching staff

i'm not sure anyone is expecting him to be better than a 3-4 starter or middle inning BP arm. While i agree it's probably unrealistic to think he's going to be a TORP or our 8th-9th inning guy, i still think with his stuff and versatility he's definitely going to be one of our top 14 best pitchers. There is value in that and with the health and durability issue we have as well as our young kids like Garcia, Schmidt and King haven't exactly shown to be MLB proven yet. With the needs we could potential have for alot of innings were not in the position just to throw away German for nothing
    Well yeah he is one of our top 14 pitchers when there is only room for 13 to 14,pitchers on the roster lol . I just disagree that he is as hard to replace as you think he is when he has proven so little .

https://clovercrestmedia.medium.com/...e-ad8260d8a179

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2019/...ury-prevention

https://nypost.com/2019/07/12/doming...ankees-cruise/

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/who-are-mik...e-2019-yankees

A cursory review revealed the above, there are more. My point - he was in contention, he was in the discussion.

Those are articles written in august or earlier of 2019 as I said earlier and they were saying he COULD be in cy young contention. Nowhere do they say he was for sure In cy young contention in fact he never was once the season ended . He was not on the list of contenders just a few months later after 3 of those 4 articles were written. . So in the end he was never truly in cy young contention , those articles were simply opinions of people who thought he COULD be . There is a big difference between being in contention for something and possibly being in contention . Especially if itís said long before the season ends.
    Last edited by Posada20; 02-20-2021 at 01:16 AM.

Unless German is continuing to engage in domestic violence, I think we should accept that he served his time and it's time to put the past in the past and let him concentrate on baseball.

Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by PJO34 View Post
    Unless German is continuing to engage in domestic violence, I think we should accept that he served his time and it's time to put the past in the past and let him concentrate on baseball.