Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 232 of 256 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 3834
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    FWIW, he got an endorsement from Lindor as a "good teammate" and considering Lindor's rep among players, that certainly holds some weight. The good thing about Bauer is that he is able to hitters out without overpowering stuff. He doesn't need to throw a 100 mph like deGrom or Cole. He's a student of the game too.

https://www.sportscasting.com/trevor...-his-pitching/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...nged-baseball/

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2020/1...ith-mets.html/

In a perfect world, Cohen would have taken over the Mets in 2019 and they would have re-signed Wheeler but Bauer on a 3 year deal with an opt out after 1 gives us the best rotation in baseball (on paper) with the Padres. With our lineup, it makes the Mets really formidable. The biggest thing is going to be the bullpen and the defense.
    Canít lie, Mets look good.

FWIW, he got an endorsement from Lindor as a "good teammate" and considering Lindor's rep among players, that certainly holds some weight. The good thing about Bauer is that he is able to hitters out without overpowering stuff. He doesn't need to throw a 100 mph like deGrom or Cole. He's a student of the game too.

In a perfect world, Cohen would have taken over the Mets in 2019 and they would have re-signed Wheeler but Bauer on a 3 year deal with an opt out after 1 gives us the best rotation in baseball (on paper) with the Padres. With our lineup, it makes the Mets really formidable. The biggest thing is going to be the bullpen and the defense.
    No question when Syndegaard returns adding Bauer to the rotation of DeGrom, Carrasco, Stroman is one of the best if not the best in 2021.
    Last edited by drt1010; 02-04-2021 at 09:58 PM.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman

Maybe he has matured. Maybe he becomes the TORP that he thinks he is, and that he has shown some potential over 20 something starts.

But, I've read way to many instances of dust ups with front offices/teammates. His numbers don't scream pay me 30+ million a year. I don't think he's worth the money nor the possible headache.

So, we can just agree to disagree. Just like we did when we had this discussion in the MLB forum.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    Maybe he has matured. Maybe he becomes the TORP that he thinks he is, and that he has shown some potential over 20 something starts.

But, I've read way to many instances of dust ups with front offices/teammates. His numbers don't scream pay me 30+ million a year. I don't think he's worth the money nor the possible headache.

So, we can just agree to disagree. Just like we did when we had this discussion in the MLB forum.

I agree he's a clubhouse liability and potential time bomb. On the mound he makes the Mets a formidable force.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    While i completely agree that we need another quality reliever and we should be all over a guy like Rosenthal who is still available or one of the other very good BP arms that are left. That said Hal has clearly set a firm budget that it sure looks like he is going to stick to that doesn't allow us to spend another 5-10m on a reliever.

As far as the MILB deals, i don't believe that money counts against the luxury tax until they are put on the 40 man roster, so why not bring in all the cheap talent they can to see if it works out. If we only get quality innings from 1 of them its worth it. Maybe they can find the pitching version of Voit and Gio.

With all the likely need for pitching depth because of a lack of innings pitchers threw last yr, it makes all the sense in the world to stock pile as much arm talent as possible on MILB deals.

ESPN ranked our signing of Jhoulys Chacin as their best " under the radar" signings this winter.

As far as why they think they could turn around some of these project pitchers when they haven't had much success in the past is likely due to their new pitching coach staff. Cressey specializes in rehabbing/ retooling pitchers and both Blake and Briend have a solid history doing the same.

We brought in these new pitching coaches to totally overhaul our pitching program. This yr offers a unique opportunity to sign some guys with real talent on very cheap MILB deals. Why not take advantage of the situation and give the new coaches a chance to hit the lottery

I think the whole point is, to bring these guys up sometime during the season, assuming they do well in AAA, which most do, since it's AAA and they're still major league pitchers, even bad ones. I can even see Adam Warren making the bullpen out of spring training. I am uncertain whether minor league deals counts toward the cap, but they most certainly will at some point when these players are called up. Since the yankees are in penny pinching mode, these contracts are not insignificant. I understand the need to pick up guys like these, but i'm getting the sense, that they're gambling theyll get one high leverage reliever out of one of these guys for the league minimum rather than paying someone 2-4 million dollars.

Understood. I just think Bauer gets a really bad rep. Not saying he's a saint either but I think he rubs people the wrong way because he's different. He's outspoken, he has a certain swagger, and he's a bit eccentric. Not to mention, he's very active on social media. Sometimes to his benefit, other times to his detriment.

Either way, I think his talent is better than you are giving it credit for and not just because the Mets may be the favorites to land him. I easily think he's the best pitcher available this offseason and next. Certainly better than a 37 year old Scherzer, a 34 year old Kershaw, a 38 year old Greinke, even a 29 year old Syndergaard who is returning from a major arm injury.
    Last edited by metswon69; 02-05-2021 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Both RP Ken Giles and Roberto Osuna are still available, either 1 would be a quality addition to our BP and probably could be had, especially Giles, on a MILB deal.

The Yanks have looked into Giles both the last 2yrs but never pulled the trigger due to injury concerns. IMO it would be worth taking a chance on him either on a very cheap 1yr deal or on a MILB deal with incentives

I spoke with my source yesterday and he said the Yanks are still looking for pitching, more interested in BP arms than any of the available starters left.

He also said with Andujar asking to be traded the 2nd time this off season he expects him to be moved, ideally for a good BP arm.

While they would still like to upgrade the bench, they want to leave some financial flexibility for the trade deadline. 1 very interesting thing he mentioned is that the longer the Gardy situation goes on the less likely to happen. He said that they feel internally that Florial has improved his K% and pitch recognition enough that with a descent ST he could make the team as the 4th/5th OFer next yr. They believe he can be a plus or better defender at all 3 OF positions and will likely hit enough to be effective in that role, with a chance of an offensive breakout
    Didn't Giles just have TJ surgery? As for Osuna, i think we have enough domestic abusers on this team. No need to form a club.

Hard to believe Florial would be given a chance in the majors after struggling in high A for 2 straight years.

Dexter Fowler would have been a hell of an addition for the 1.75m the Angels are paying him next yr after being traded from the Cards

I am very happy neither the Dodgers nor the Jays got Bauer. I want the Yanks to have the cleanest path to the WS. We'll then worry about the Dodgers, Padres, or preferably Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Didn't Giles just have TJ surgery? As for Osuna, i think we have enough domestic abusers on this team. No need to form a club.

Hard to believe Florial would be given a chance in the majors after struggling in high A for 2 straight years.
    Your right about Giles, i had forgotten that. I don't disagree with you about the domestic violence players but we really need to find another quality BP arm that fits in our budget or is willing to take an MILB deal.

Florial played a couple games in the MLB last yr and according to multiple sources improved his hitting last yr at the ALT site. Its not as if they were planning on starting him they are looking for someone to fill the 4th/5th OFer role that can play plus defense at all 3 OF positions and it helps alot he's LHed and has speed.

The other option is resign Gardy and not leave themselves very much room under the LT to add anything else now or at the trade deadline. Florial is cheap, can handle the positions defensively with ease and has some offensive upside potential.

Gardy was great for us but its time to move on. If they want him around the team for his leadership so badly bring him on as a coach or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by PJO34 View Post
    I am very happy neither the Dodgers nor the Jays got Bauer. I want the Yanks to have the cleanest path to the WS. We'll then worry about the Dodgers, Padres, or preferably Mets.
    No one got him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I think the whole point is, to bring these guys up sometime during the season, assuming they do well in AAA, which most do, since it's AAA and they're still major league pitchers, even bad ones. I can even see Adam Warren making the bullpen out of spring training. I am uncertain whether minor league deals counts toward the cap, but they most certainly will at some point when these players are called up. Since the yankees are in penny pinching mode, these contracts are not insignificant. I understand the need to pick up guys like these, but i'm getting the sense, that they're gambling theyll get one high leverage reliever out of one of these guys for the league minimum rather than paying someone 2-4 million dollars.
    The money only counts towards the LT if they are added to the 40 man roster. The Yanks really aren't penny pinching overall, Hal is just determined to reset the LT, which is so stupid with the CBA expiring at the end of the yr. Since the money doesn't count towards the LT unless they make the 40 man, IMO they should sign a handful of these guys and see if the new pitching coaches can strike gold like they have with position players.

They are already going to be counting on a bunch of the kids to contribute heavily to the rotation and BP. If that doesn't workout like they hope, it would be nice to have some veteran depth waiting in AAA.

With as much pitching is likely going to be needed with as few innings as pitchers threw last yr were going to need as much depth as possible. If the new pitching development trio of Blake, Cressey and Briend can turn these
    1-2 guys around it will absolutely be worth taking a chance on some of these guys on MILB deal since they would only get a percentage of the veterans minimum

I absolutely agree with you, they should spend that 2-4m or how much ever would leave them about 5m to spend at the trade deadline on another BP arm before the season.

I will say this if Warren starts the season in the BP, something will have gone horribly wrong and we'll be in trouble with our BP

13. 02-05-2021, 08:03 AM
    Reason
    political commentary

14. 02-05-2021, 08:59 AM
    Reason
    quoting deleted post

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Delete this now. I didn't come back to the messageboard after nearly a year to read this horse bleep.
    The comment refers to the irony of Bauer and the way he is viewed by fans and media and the hypocrisy of those same fans when it comes to talent and ignoring that which they view as character flaws

People don't want player "A" because he did this...
    They don't want player "B" because he said that...
    Player "C" said and did both but he's really good so, ok. We will take him
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 02-05-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Ignorance is bliss

Judge and Stanton have "revamped" their workouts. We seemingly hear this every year.

I genuinely don't understand why so many athletes turn to yoga. Pilates is often a better system for the types of injuries they suffer.
    I have worked with people on rehabbing more Yoga injuries (Knees, Shoulders, wrists, lower back, neck) than I have CrossFit injuries.
    I have never treated a person for an injury due to Pilates.

Ignorance is bliss

I was thinking about this type of thing. Imagine if Bauer tried to do 30 years ago what he does now?
    He would have had his arse beat down.
    But now? Nope.

Ignorance is bliss